1986 toyota supra

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Intercooler, Boost controller, Full Suspension, Exhaust is about $6000.

What is it that you really want ? Because people who want a 4th gen, hate the other gens. The two cars aren't really the same. I mean, do you want a planted feeling, substantial car ? Or do you want something that can be flicked through turns ?

-> Steve
If I was considering a 4th gen Supra, I would consider a 2nd gen Lotus Esprit. Same costs.

And please, Gens - not Marks. the Gen 4 only has one Mark, and the 3rd Gen has 2 Marks. I have this argument with Supra people all day long. Everyone else in the world does Gen / Mark except those pricks.

What I want is a car that is rwd, at least quick, and has decent cornering ability. A mustang/camaro would be ok i guess but it's not really what im looking for. Besides, Ive always wanted a 93-98 supra. But if there is a car(s) out there that are comparable for around the same price then those would be worth looking into as well.

A lotus esprit is a pretty small car isnt it? Small cars and I really dont get along too well.

Thanks for telling me all this Celerity. I can always use the info :thumbsup:

There are lots of options out there. One of the nicer cars that I've run for that purpose / price range is the 240SX. I prefer the mk1 (pre 1991) models, but the later ones may appeal to you. It's a capable car that is confident around corners as well as high speeds. The rear seats are negligable, but so are the Supras. A 4 seater RWD hatchback is a lot to ask for in the 90s, as everyone chickened out and went FWD or coupe.

If you wanna get funky, you may consider a Porsche 928S. (1986+). The prices on these have plummetted and you can be sure that they were the previous owner's pride and joy (No beaters). Most of them are automatic, and the 5 speeds are reverse H patterned. A truly fun car to drive, that is SUPER confident at speeds. It's an honest 150mph car. And there is no questioning it's sexiness (You can get a slantnose for it, used with some repairable damage for about $500 complete). Avoid autos.

RX7's are lighter and flickable, lack the rear seats (Well, mostly) but are also quite capable at high speeds. the 2nd gens are nearly flawless (Except the low quality building materials). They are awesome handlers, and Wankels do more with a Turbo than you may have thought possible.

The Porsche 944 is much the same. Lacks rear seats, but is a complete barn stormer.

If you can get away from hatches and liftbacks, BMW offers very nice rides for that price range. I'm not a BMW fan, so I can't go indepth.

As far as the Mustang / Camaro thing, you can make those cars handle like they are on rails. You just have to be really careful of your choices for parts - Too much torque will make any car lose grip around any corner. The thinking man will put the Cobra DOHC V8 in a 1993 Fox body hatch. Lower it, Ford Motor Sports all the parts out and hvae a car that can conquer a road course. Same with the Camaro - Right suspension parts on that wide track (Again, thinking pre92) and you'll rock the casbah.

IF you can go FWD , then your options totally open up. Of course the smartest thing in a FWD is a honda swap. But if you need the kind of car that can do 120mph all day long without breaking a sweat, Lincoln Mk8s, Pontiac Turbo Grand PRix (1989 is the only year), Beretta GTZs or even a Corvette are coming down to your price range.

The possibilities are endless, if you think outside of the box and start to shop smarter and not with the trends. Supra values are dropping pretty badly, and you're catching the tail end of a high resale Supra year. You're going to take a hit on it and the prices of aftermarket gear won't come down at all.

->S

The 240sx would sound like a good way to go actually. Ill most definatly look into that. My only concern is people complain about the lack of head room. If you were going to spend say 10k modding a 240sx, what route would you go? Im thinking rb26dett, really good suspension, rims w/really sticky tires, sparco(or whatever) seats, tuning, and all the miscellanious gauges.

less quantity, more quality. I would start off on the body. A big ol' drifting wing (Airjockie may sell his :) ) and an e-wing or an Advan/Advan combo (Again, Airjockie). I would keep the sizes to 17"x 8". A momo steering wheel, nismo short shifter and nismo calipers holding EBC Greenstuff pads. RS*R exhaust canister on a handmade 2.5" pipe through the middle, and under the diff to a larger DP off a T3/T5 hybrid from an RB26DET (Single turbo). Keep the interior, but under the hood I would "work toward" (Since I have no idea how to simply "do" it) the Signal car's front ends. They have a tubular space frame holding everything under the hood, and it's crazy. Of course the strut tower bars, yadda yadda... Everything from the turbo to the air cleaner would be Nismo.

And bam, you're a celebrity.

-> Steve

So would you keep the engine it came with or swap in the single turbo rb26? Using nismo parts would be the best since they are the tuning division of nissan. So focusing on the body to make it more aerodynamic and have more downforce should be the first thing to do?

Is head room really a big issue with these cars because i heard some people say it is?

RB engine in a 240SX will take up your entire 10 grand. it's a fuggin LOT of work making that shit fit. The SR20 is the more obvious choice. Cheaper, fits like stock, still really high power potential.

GO look at a 240 to see if you have enough headroom. I am 5'8'' so for me of course it will have enough headroom. I know of a 6'1'' guy who ca fit in a miata no problem, just go and see for yourself if it has enough headroom.

When it comes to the swap, Pope is also right. RBs aren't cheap. The SR20 is a smart choice, and you can get an SR20VET from japan for cheap. It's a 2 stage "VTEC" like system that adjusts the power curve. But it does it for 3 phases. It's neat, complex and delicate.

It's real. It's also very uncommon and duly expensive in turbo form. the SR20VE is more common, but is very different from it's Turbo counterpart.

For the money you want to spend, an SR20 would be fine. Hell, you could go up to the S14 "humpback" engine with the VVT and still be in your budget.

Google owns you. It's 280PS stock turbo. It has 3 stages of cam lobe, a low range, mid range and high range (Think VTEC in 2 stages). It's not cheap, but it's not RB price either. The head may bolt to the block, but I'm sure there are sensors on the NEOVVL engine that need to be satisfied. The head shouldn't cost too much. I suggest you find someone who reads Japanese and head to auctions.yahoo.co.jp

You MAY find a NEOVVL SR20VE in Canada, but it's not easy. Nissan had options that only made it to 50 cars because of prohibitive expense. Like the 4WS / AWD 300ZXs and 240SXs (Super HICAS, bitches)

If you wanna go crazy go-nuts you can also import the Bluebird / Skyline automatic trans that made it into a few cars in Japan. Talk about prohibitive. It's a CVT that has a clutch and shifter - You program in the "Gear ratios" and Shiftpoints. It's crazy and can hold some hp too. Shit, you can even break it into 6 gears.

Originally posted by trappd-in-859@Jun 24 2005, 08:21 PM
Ive had this car for about 5 months now and was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what some of these problems mean. Now first of it is an auto(which sucks I know) and when it shifts it shifts pretty hard, what does this mean? Also when I get on it it sort of hesitates for a second and then springs to life, is this normal?

If someone could please help me diagnose these problems that would be great. What I want to get from your info is wether or not these are big problems that need to be taken care of pretty soon or not.

Just to let everyone know im not keeping the non-turbo engine/transmission in this car for very long because this thing is slow and I cant stand that. It will be getting a complete makeover in order for this thing to reach its full potential.

Thanks in advance for all help.
[post=516235]Quoted post[/post]​

Easiest thing in the world: Look at your budget and decide what you want to drive. Sell the automatic Supra NA and get that other car. Modifying the one you have is very costly, in terms of dollars per Hp gained. The NA doesn't have much potential, for the money. I mean, you can make anything go fast (tub racing comes to mind). The question is, how much are you willing to spend to make it that fast.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 25 2005, 09:31 PM
Two Words.

Buggy.

Dune.

-> Steve
[post=531058]Quoted post[/post]​

workin on that with a friend.... 4g63T out of a fwd turbo talon..... so far we have a frame and the the motor is sitting in the back, but we still are figuring out the front end .... 36x12.50s out back and I am planing on 205/50-15s up front....

Back