1987 CRX Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Do you have any lines on a 1 piece CF hood ?

nope...they are no longer in production
I sold my damn FG one about a month before I found my (latest) car :(

theres always rumors of someone new re-making them, and rumors that the original guy found a new supplier to make them....but its all BS...I'll get excited when theres pricing and an order form

there is supposedly a remake of the Mugen spoilers in CF going on right now...at least theres a prototype anyway

also, theres a guy in CO making the panhard bars (thats where mine came from)...privateer, so they're pretty cheap
-he also makes (really nice) camber plates

ccinstall6.jpg

holy fucking camber plate!!! fuck that.

speaking of clean cars, this is probably the cleanest that 87 Si has ever been in the last few years ;)

when i sold it back to steve i detailed it inside and out as best i could.

l_575bad82b7506d69d0b92ba5cdf384c6.jpg

Yup, it's really clean without that Supertrapp :)

The first two pictures are literally, 20 minutes of work.

The rest of the pics are me and my friend, about 3 hours of work.

Attachments

• DSC00838.JPG
    DSC00838.JPG
    563.6 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC00839.JPG
    DSC00839.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC00843.JPG
    DSC00843.JPG
    688 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC00844.JPG
    DSC00844.JPG
    711.8 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00845.JPG
    DSC00845.JPG
    733.3 KB · Views: 295
Actually, I said there was work in the first two pics. Upon further inspection, that must be on my other camera card.

I'll post those up when I'm near a gas-fired CFCard reader. Those other pics were actually from when I first pushed it in the garage.

Anyway, here are some pics that'll make any NE first gen owner jealous: No rust !

Attachments

• DSC00846.JPG
    DSC00846.JPG
    362.3 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00847.JPG
    DSC00847.JPG
    544.4 KB · Views: 487
because I can.

The new FI setup will require a new harness. That harness will require wiring all the way to the trunk, And I have a few items that I want to install while I'm here. No radio, some new gauges and I want to raise the shifter.

The engine bay is mostly gone, the new FI setup will be very simple and will negate the need for emissions and all that bullshit. Well, ok, I am getting rid of the vacum pumps and emissions stuff because I have no clue how to use it on the new setup. The front is getting stripped out because I'll need to replace the upper and lower radiator support, the body is getting seam welded (Ala what was done to the NX2000) and I am frame gussetting the sides and front. The bumper is stripped front and rear, and is not being replaced. The rear is getting gussetted and channeled for 4 exhaust pipes, and I still need to find some clearance with the current gas tank.

Then, I'll need to refinish the engine room, and do "something" about the floors and doors (Either audio proofing or closed cell foam)

I wanna go high discharge / LED ont he lighting too, so I'm thinking (after seeing how simple it is) to go to a 96volt system with everything network addressed. Then I would control power to each system through a router.

I'm thinking of it.

I finish quite a few projects. Just rarely is it my own.

Like I said, and I suggest anyone follow my lead, if a project approaches or passes that dollar / value ratio, drop it like it's on fire. It'll only disappoint.

I got more of it apart, pics are on my girlfriend's camera and my cell phone.

Recently I moved all the bikes out to work on them before the season starts. I have an exhaust and new lights to install on a Honda 1800 cruiser, a WIERD coolant leak on a Ninja 900, my plastics on my GPZ600 and the minor plastic work on the ZX12R. The CRX was lifted 12" up on to a pedestal in my shed. It's neat, you should check it out. It'll prolly be in this spot for the next year.

The front end is off, and I have the interior out. I'm still thinking if I should go full custom (scratch built) interior or modify the dash that's in place. If I go scratch built than it will look something like the Alpine-Renault that I posted here a while back. Other than that the stock dash is off getting the AWD Civic duct panel molded into the CRX plastic.

I also have the rear of the car coming apart, and when I get it higher I'll be removing the exhaust, gas tank and rear bumper steel. I'm tracking down a "tire-type" fuel cell, and then mounting the spare tire ontop of that. Where the gas tank was will be for the new exhaust collectors.

The computer that I choose will be the deciding factor in my interior - if I need a full pc management, go with PC based sound system, nav, yadda yadda then I may go scratch built for the dash with a 7" display in there. If I only need a pc to run a C program, and I can keep all of the elements seperate then I'll use the factory dash.

I like the idea of seperate components, so that I can upgrade one piece without blowing the whole thing up and starting over. This means that basically when my hardware can't work with the OS, I'm not fucked. That's the way I always like it.

But there is the design aspect: Do I want LCD ? Do I want vacuum flourescent ? Do I want LED? Do I want a CRT displaying text ? Do I want my buttons to be flush, positive click ? I haven't made my mind up in those areas yet.

I really miss my first gen. I highly recommend the DX outer/SI inner valve spring combination, 85si R1 camshaft, with a mild port-n-polish.You can also bored out the top TB port, and separete the top section of the intake manifold and gasket match that. You can also run a F22 accord adjustable cam gear, and adjust fuel pressure through a FPR for a 94-97 Eclipse B&M unit. It will fit the bigger D15a3/EW oem regulator without extra modifications. (I pioneered that mod). My d15a3 had alot more pull in the lower and upper ranges after I did these few little things. Im sure you knew all this already though being familiar with RPR. Love the car man......

I really miss my first gen. I highly recommend the DX outer/SI inner valve spring combination, 85si R1 camshaft, with a mild port-n-polish.You can also bored out the top TB port, and separete the top section of the intake manifold and gasket match that. You can also run a F22 accord adjustable cam gear, and adjust fuel pressure through a FPR for a 94-97 Eclipse B&M unit. It will fit the bigger D15a3/EW oem regulator without extra modifications. (I pioneered that mod). My d15a3 had alot more pull in the lower and upper ranges after I did these few little things. Im sure you knew all this already though being familiar with RPR. Love the car man......

The head is already done, and has an adjustable cam gear (In the efforts of making it stop eating distributors.

The head is for sale, all of my EW stuff is for sale. I'm aligning the Cosworth to drop into the bay now. Sourcing a Beretta transmission.

EP: If you wanna buy it, come on down. I need to make mortgage payments.

Back