1992 Civic Dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PRican66

Ok. I blew my stock engine today(2/20/03). :angry: I have a 1992 Honda Civic DX 4 door. Now I need to replace it. But why stock? I'm a little old school so these new cars are a new thing to me but I would definitely like to join this "gang." :D Since my car isn't the best candidate for a "hot rod," I figured I would try to make somewhat of a "sleeper" car. (Kinda like the old days with a Nova. tricked out 350 with a column shift, bench seat, stock rims.....I'm sure you get the idea.) Anyway, I would like to do something similar with my Civic. Thing is, I would like to keep my 5 Speed manual transmission. Nothing like driving a stick! Any suggestions on what a good swap would be? I have been told either a ZC 1.6 SOHC VTEC or a ZC DOHC 16V Non VTEC would be a simple swap. I just don't know which way to go. Can anyone help? Please send your suggestions to pricanm32@yahoo.com. And let's not get to expensive, huh? That's why I got out of the game before. Getting about 8-10 miles to the gallon with the way prices are now was getting way to expensive! Thanks for any and all responses!

Prican66
(66 is the year I was born!)

i'm also looking for a swap for my 92 sedan lx, but mine's an automatic. i've been doing some searching around and am interested in just a little upgrade on the motor from the original. preferrably a d16z6 or the d16y series. when i do swap with either of these motors it would be plug and play, right? or would i need new motor mounts or any annoying, but small adjustments? if anyone could help out, i would really appreciate it.

92-95 civics are a good platform for many swaps.Are you looking to destroy all who oppose you or just get to the store a little quicker?Any thing from a D16Z6 to a H22 can be put in frm around $600-$5000,so it depends on what you have to spend and what you'd like to see from the car.

I have been told either a ZC 1.6 SOHC VTEC or a ZC DOHC 16V Non VTEC would be a simple swap.

In your car this will be an extremly hard swap. You need an engine that is designed for OBD1 or OBD2 (2 takes a little bit more wiring) Put down an estiment on how much you want to spend and also what you want out of this (drag, autoX/roadracing, street, or daily driver)

i have about a $700 budget for my swap. i'm a daily, people loading, and long distant driver so something reliable is really needed. also, what ever can get me to the grocery stores a little quicker than my d15b7 slug wouldn't hurt. one other thing, how much does an automatic to manual conversion usually cost?? thanks again.

stick a y8 head, complete IM, ecu, timing belt and wire up the VTEC and have a nice mini-me setup for around 400-600 (depends on how much you pay for stuff). Buy what bolt ons you can and call it a day.

auto to manual conversion are like 500 or so in parts plus labor!

I got a 92 EX-V auto with a d16 in it. im lookin for more power! and to change to stick. any suggestions? these have what ive been considering so far.

-B20 swap
-B18 swap.
-GSR Tranny and just tweak the d16

im sorta on budget, so if someone could tell me whats the best bang for my buck that'd be great too.

Also whats a good price to get these parts? b20, b18, GSR Tranny

Originally posted by devil@Feb 22 2003, 06:46 PM
i have about a $700 budget for my swap. i'm a daily, people loading, and long distant driver so something reliable is really needed. also, what ever can get me to the grocery stores a little quicker than my d15b7 slug wouldn't hurt. one other thing, how much does an automatic to manual conversion usually cost?? thanks again.

Well...can you do the work yourself or do you have to have someone else do it?

For 700 dollars, you should just get the same engine you have now. IF you don't have anymore than that to spend only get the stock engine. 700 bucks isn't squat when it comes to a hybrid swap.

Originally posted by Rivers@Feb 23 2003, 11:53 PM
I got a 92 EX-V auto with a d16 in it. im lookin for more power! and to change to stick. any suggestions? these have what ive been considering so far.

-B20 swap
-B18 swap.
-GSR Tranny and just tweak the d16

im sorta on budget, so if someone could tell me whats the best bang for my buck that'd be great too.

Also whats a good price to get these parts? b20, b18, GSR Tranny

start your own topic dude...

Back