1992 Civic Vx Hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

davidb

I am about to buy a 1992 Civic VX, it has an overwhelming 92 horsepower...I want to do the LS swap, I have heard it is relatively cheap in comparison with other B-Series Swaps> Also it is a high torque motor, which I like. What transmission would be the best to run on it? I will probably get the engine out of a 94 or so Integra. I don't plan on doing a vtec head or run 12's, I just want something that will move fast and still remain smooth and streetable. If I could get into the mid 14's consistantly I would be happy.
I know I will need:
engine tranny and ecu
shift linkages
motor mount kit
axles from a Integra

What am I missing???
What kind of 1320's will I run with this engine and basic bolt-ons, intake, header, removed cat and a muffler of some kind?
Is the VX a Vtec D15??? I heard that somewhere...
Will this setup put out close to the same numbers as a B16a2 Swap?
Once I get the Motor Mount Kit, that makes it fairly easy right, what kind of wiring problems will i run into???

Sorry about all the extra questions. When I do something, I like to know what I am getting my crazy ass into... :blink:

if you can drive it should be a 14 second car. any b series tranny bolts up but just get the ls tranny since thats what the motor is or a gsr tranny i think is ok for that motor. oh yeah stock mounts work from an integra i believe.

94-95 LS motor should drop straight in,the only thing I am hazy on is the LS harness plugging straight into the canon plugs (shock tower plugs),not sure if the teg plugs are the same,but you can use you VX harness,you'll have the o2,EGR and vtec plugs left over,but as long as you rewire the o2 and run the LS ECU you shouldn't throw any CEL's.Someone should confirm this.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Apr 7 2003, 11:26 PM
get a gsr or b16 tranny.

why would you get a b16 tranny? so you could get to higher rpms faster where the motor has less power, someone correct me if im wrong about this.

while an LS tops out faster (ie lower redline) it still makes more power between 4-6500 then from 2-4500.
that, and closer gearing is faster for the most part.
a b16, shit a JDM itr tranny on an ls motor will probably knock .5 in the 1/4

Originally posted by Jokerluv@Apr 8 2003, 05:00 PM
will the VX tranny not bolt in??? because it has long gears for the new power?????? <_<

no, d series does not bolt up with b series this i am sure of.

Originally posted by Jokerluv@Apr 8 2003, 11:00 PM
will the VX tranny not bolt in??? because it has long gears for the new power?????? <_<

No,D series tranny doesn't bolt to a B series motor.

Thanks for all the Imput :worthy:
What about the engine itself getting in the car? What will I need to get it in besides the motor mount kit and the shift and throttle linkages?

You don't need a motor mount kit.

You need the:
stock mounts
rear---teg bracket,civics rubber mount
drivers side ----either
top tranny----either
lower tranny----motors bracket,civic's rubber mount
lower driverside----motors bracket,civic rubber mount
Shiftlinkage---teg
axles,halfshaft---teg
tranny----teg
ECU---teg
throttle cable---teg,may need some fitting

Would the parts I need for the LS swap change a great deal if I bought a 88-91 Civic Hatch instead?

Originally posted by davidb@Apr 9 2003, 08:48 PM
Would the parts I need for the LS swap change a great deal if I bought a 88-91 Civic Hatch instead?

Yes,you would then need a mount kit and shiftlinkage.

Back