1992 hatch with b18b1?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigy34

Ok first off I found this site by searching google and it seems to be the right site so thanks for a awesome place to get info. now for my question it might get kinda long sorry.

My buddy bought a 92 civic hatch dx that had a b18b1 swap, the motor smoked grey bad when we got the car so the next weekend we went and bought another b18b1 from a wrecking yard had 107k on it so should still be pretti fresh, we tore the car apart and in the mean time i started lookin at stuff like the ecu to see how it had been done and noticed the ecu is a PR4, i figured whatever car runs great besides for smoking so we did the swap got it all back together with the fresh motor and the car does the identicle thing the old motor did i figured maybe it would clear up but its been a couple months and still if you get on it the slitest or let your foot off to slow down all hell breaks loose and she start blowin smoke, when it does this i can smell burning oil, the other thing is the car has a after market FPR running around 65 psi (Alot) I tried adjusting it and it stays at 65 so we put a stock one on and the car seemed to not really smoke and actually seemed to pull harder however after about an hour of it running with the stock one it started running like crap so we put the after market one back on and runs great but smokes.

so my question is could the pr4 ecu and intake mani be makin the car run like this and smoke?

also the car is pulling a code that says fuel supply system? no others though

Sorry for such long post.

thanks

sounds like either bad rings or a blown head gasket - possibly a worped head
i'd check the compression on each cylinder. and if you find one thats low put a couple drops of oil in it and do a compression test again if it shows more pressure your rings are shot if no change it's your head or head gasket

is it leaking oil or anything under the car when it's parked

You need to fix your fuel issue. Stock pressure is ~40 psi and you are running 65. Think about how unneeded fuel is being squeezed into the engine. The reason it smokes is because the extra fuel isn't burning completely and comes out as carbon soot. Throw on the stock regulator and then check fuel pressure. You can screw a gauge into the service port on top of the fuel filter. If the pressure is still high with the stock regulator, you need to look elsewhere. Check for kinks in the return line back to the tank.

You need to fix your fuel issue. Stock pressure is ~40 psi and you are running 65. Think about how unneeded fuel is being squeezed into the engine. The reason it smokes is because the extra fuel isn't burning completely and comes out as carbon soot. Throw on the stock regulator and then check fuel pressure. You can screw a gauge into the service port on top of the fuel filter. If the pressure is still high with the stock regulator, you need to look elsewhere. Check for kinks in the return line back to the tank.

yeah thats kinda what we figured it was the pressure but then it ran like poo but thats a good call about the return line

Does it smoke black, white or blue? Its important. Be specific.

ok so we installed a stock FPR on the car and put the gauge on filter inlet, when you fire the car at idle its pushin 32psi rev it up goes to about 42 max however when its at 32 the car runs like butt it sputters, now if we unplug the vacuum lin on the stock FPR the psi goes to 42 and stays there and the car seems to run alot better i would not say perfect but it does run alot better any ideas?

what was this regulator from? if it was from a d series the pressure could be too low. I remember my gsr being at 38-42 with the line on. Also, you could have a vacuum leak.

Did you play around with the end cap of the fuel rail. This is where the feed line is, and is on the left side when looking from the front of the car. Sometimes if this thing is messed with it can really screw up fuel pressure.

I looked at it and it looks like the screw in the center is coming out but i did not try to tighten it.

Back