3d printer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've got a makerbot 5th gen to play with at the office. currently finding things in the thingieverse i can print. i grabbed an official "honda nsx 3d model" but it didnt print properly, the file sucks for this printer. i decided to RTFM, now can manipulate dimensions and have some other car related stuff im trying to print, as well as an apple watch stand.

Yep, some models won't print without support.

If you have the coin, get Simplify3D as your slicing software. It's so much better than Cura or Slic3r.

im just trying to get free stuff to print right now :) i will be trying again soon this morning.

i have autocad 2016, 3dsmax 2016, creative cloud... but no inventor or anything.

If you have the Makerbot make sure you update the software and firmware on the machine. I was having z axis issues and you can now manipulate some of the parameters via the desktop. It has helped a ton with printing issues.

This Porsche is going to win.

image.jpeg

If you have the Makerbot make sure you update the software and firmware on the machine. I was having z axis issues and you can now manipulate some of the parameters via the desktop. It has helped a ton with printing issues.

Will do that. It's in the other building from me. I just plugged it into the network.

I have a crew of 4 seniors that just finished assembling a Mini-Max 3D printer kit. We currently have 7 Makerbot 5th Gens, A Cube Pro Duo (DO NOT BUY) and the Mini-Max. The reason we bought the Mini-Max kit was to print Ninja Flex filament. They are sitting in the lab as I speak tweaking the settings to get the flexible Ninja Flex to print. It is pretty cool watching them "learn" while having fun. The day they turned it all on I thought they were going to take off running down the halls screaming. Stay tuned I will try to get some pics.

hows that mbg5 working out? mine is... meh at best. rebuilt the extruder a few times, PFTE on everything. but the damn build plate shakes like michael j fox and my prints have started getting really bad.

hows that mbg5 working out? mine is... meh at best. rebuilt the extruder a few times, PFTE on everything. but the damn build plate shakes like michael j fox and my prints have started getting really bad.

Mine (including the 6 refurbished ones) are running flawless. The build plate shouldn't shake at all. Is it shaking because the extruder nozzle is contacting it? If so you may need to adjust the z offset in the software.

nah, it is leveled properly. the extruder nozzle doesn't contact it. when it gets going fast the direction changes make it shake. its on a solid stand, and ive even strapped the unit down to a table to see if that helped. its always had alot of play, i'll see if i can get you a video of what i mean today.

are you using the standard smart extruder or the smart extruder + ?

nah, it is leveled properly. the extruder nozzle doesn't contact it. when it gets going fast the direction changes make it shake. its on a solid stand, and ive even strapped the unit down to a table to see if that helped. its always had alot of play, i'll see if i can get you a video of what i mean today.

are you using the standard smart extruder or the smart extruder + ?

I am assuming I am using the smart extruder+ as I think that is what they are shipping with all their models now. I know I called them back in December and they sent me two new replacements for my original model as they were the "old" version of the extruder.

That's cool. Out Makerbot has ceased to provide decent prints. I got all the wedding car place holders done though.

That's cool. Out Makerbot has ceased to provide decent prints. I got all the wedding car place holders done though.
And that's why I didn't do our wedding stuff on the 3d printers. There's no rhyme or reason as to when it'll stop printing decently, and then you've gotta tear it down completely. :/

So I've been tinkering and printing things I've found on thingiverse.com Here's one.
picture.jpg

I somehow feel like it's not what I expected though. I was so excited to get a printer and now it's just blah. I mean it was cool at first but I guess it just lost it's wow factor way faster than I thought. Maybe because there's nothing on thingiverse that interests me and I haven't taken the time to make anything of my own.

I've got a bunch of cool stuff I could send you that you could print and ship back ;) mostly Pokemon, an Eiffel Tower too.

The 3d printing work I used to do has dried up. COMPLETELY.

Everyone's son, daughter, friend, nephew, etc. has a 3d printer now, and they're all setup improperly, so all the prints suck. Joe Public doesn't just think 3d printed stuff blows, he knows it does, because his ex-wife's brother has a 3d printer and everything he prints is sloppy.

I can take a look at them if you want to send me the files. I completely agree that it's ridiculous for everyone to have a printer that's set up like shit giving 3d printing a bad name.

Back