5th Gen Si Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

im looking at a 1992 VX hatch with the piece of poo D15Z1 and was wondering what it would take to Swap the Si motor (D16Z6).

do i need any new motor mounts, shift links, or a new ECU???

P.S. i just starting with honda swaps so any help is appreciated

i say why limit yourself to the babys? go big or go home... go with a gsr or something along those lines, the vx is a very light car... make the most of it... and dude... its a civic, the thing hasnt changed since the cvcc lol j/k...

yeah, my best friend has a 92 cx and has been saving up for the past year and almost has enough for a GSR, while i could get an Si motor for $200 drop it in and have juice, and a built bottom end by the time he gets his stock GSR motor

true-

its plug and play
if you really wanted to, you could go for the mini-me as well.
if not, the long block and a p28 ecu will be a snap. you can use your stock tranny... although i wouldn't recommend it for performance because of its tall gearing.

so will the D16Z6 drop straight in?
Would i need a new ECU? or could i just get the stock one re-chipped?

a d16z6 motor is a good choice. i have one in my '92 cx. i turn in pretty good times. dont let anyone dog you on what you wanna do. i had a '92 dx 4 door that ran a 15.9 on 50 shot of juice. no one thought that was impressive but i did. you going with the d16 is a good choice especially if you are on a budget. peace & aloha. let me know how it turns out.

Originally posted by 808sohc@Oct 2 2002, 11:51 PM
a d16z6 motor is a good choice. dont let anyone dog you on what you wanna do.

:werd: I am sticking with my d16z6 for many reasons. Its cheaper to replace than a b16 or b18, So are the tranny's! There is pleanty of aftermarket support for this motor. I also want to have a very very respectable SOHC! I love to see peoples reactions when I tell them that they just got smoked by a SOHC! Yeah I wont create the peak HP of a b16 or b18, but I am on a budget being married and have a daughter. My next build will be a boosted b18b! But that wont be for a while!

the B18 is one bad motor with boost that what I`m building right now but do it right bottom end and top end and i have three kids and a house.

Im all about cost effectiveness. I scored a 1992 Sentra SE-R (SR20DE) :D
for three grand and ran a 14.8 with a stock motor and an exhaust :D :D

(old people shouldnt be able to drive, and insurance companies blow ass)

I'm gonna add....The D-series is a very respectable motor...considering GM has to use 2.4liters to get the same power as the D16z6, and as Knowledge pointed out...the parts are cheaper...alot cheaper!. when you blow up a B-series it costs at least a grand to replace it...blow up a D16z6 and pay 150-200 dollars for a D15 until you fix the z6!..I dunno about everyone else...but I'm on the budget bus..I too have a mortgage and a 16 month old son...ever notice how sick children in day car get?...B-series are nice to have...but b/c of their popularity..their prices are unjust...

the guy im trying to getr the vx from doesnt want ot go below 4K and the car books @3800, and his needs $1000 worth of work (2 cv boots, new brake pads, timing belt, battery, coolant flush, A/C fitting)

sure he doesnt know i will do it all for $400 but does ne one have advice on what i can say to get him to drop the price.

just tell him you'll go find one in better shape for cheaper. and tell him good luck selling it for more than it's worth

that might work since my friend with the CX got his a 94 for 3800 in georgious condition. i just had a mental block.
i will also tell him about how much the insurance company is doing me in the ass on my SE-R

Back