86-87 Prelude Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prankster

I have a set Prelude 2.0Si's(86 and 87) and was wondering what if a b20a5 would fit in and what VTec motors would work in this gen. of prelude and how much it would run me. im new to this stuff, and trying to give my daily use one more peep and the other one the racing abilities. i was told to try a b17a1 or a b18c1 gs-r motors, but i dont know how much fabrication it would take for the motor mounts, and i wanna be able to keep my a/c and power steering if at all possible. if you know where i could get the parts cheap and fast i'd appreciate it...
thanks

You basically have 3 options.

1) Easiest
get an A20A3 from an 88-89 Accord. It is a 2.0 but has 122hp and 120ft/lbs of torque. Your current tranny will bolt right up to it. get the usual i/h/e and a mild cam and it wont be too bad

2) A little harder
Find a JDM B20A from a JDM or Euro 2nd gen lude or a JDM or Euro 3g Accord. It is listed as a b20a nothing else. It is a DOHC 2.0 with 160hp 140ft/lbs. Comes in two versions a gold top and a black top. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14369 You will need some stuff but it is more of a drop in than the next option

3) More expensive and a little harder
Place Racing Inc makes mounts to put newer B-Series engines into 2g ludes and 3g accords. the mounts from them are like $600 but if you go through a shop it is cheaper. They offer the axles, shift rods, wire harness, PS bracket, AC bracket and everything else for different prices. email *removed* they seem to have good prices on the PRI stuff.

I chose option 3 and cant wait to finish.

OK.. Whats the diff. Between the Black And Gold On Option 2? Cause I was thinking thats the way i might go. Could I used my ECU, Or Would That Be one of the items also needed to do this swap? also how long would this take me to do, including time for error and stopping for food, etc? Thanx for the other information.
thanx

Originally posted by Prankster@Mar 4 2003, 10:07 AM
OK.. Whats the diff. Between the Black And Gold On Option 2? Cause I was thinking thats the way i might go. Could I used my ECU, Or Would That Be one of the items also needed to do this swap? also how long would this take me to do, including time for error and stopping for food, etc? Thanx for the other information.
thanx

from what i understood and have read the gold top is an older version. It has a different intake manifold and maybe some slighty different cams. As far as the ECU, you can use an 88-91 Prelude ECU. Downtime, maybe a weekend if you are familar with the car. also, check out www.3geez.com there are people who have actually done this swap there and check www.openloopmotorsports.com they can help you a little more

Back