'89 Integra swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89integra

I am getting an 89 Integra as a daily driver, and would like to eventually do an engine swap. I've been looking up engines and prices, and so far I m pretty set on the B16A. However I doubt I will do too many more modification after that unless it just doesnt have enough power. I've test driven a few cars, and I really like the way a larger engine feels. Low torque has always kept me from ever wanting a civic. I am wondering if it is cheaper to put a newer integra engine (B18A) and if so would it be worth it if I were to do either more or no modifications after the swap. My primary use will be as a daily driver, and eventually I would like it to be my project car. Any ideas comments or info would be great.

Thanks, Adam

Originally posted by 89integra@Dec 31 2002, 06:42 AM
I am getting an 89 Integra as a daily driver, and would like to eventually do an engine swap. I've been looking up engines and prices, and so far I m pretty set on the B16A. However I doubt I will do too many more modification after that unless it just doesnt have enough power. I've test driven a few cars, and I really like the way a larger engine feels. Low torque has always kept me from ever wanting a civic. I am wondering if it is cheaper to put a newer integra engine (B18A) and if so would it be worth it if I were to do either more or no modifications after the swap. My primary use will be as a daily driver, and eventually I would like it to be my project car. Any ideas comments or info would be great.

Thanks, Adam

B16 is a torqueless bitch. Get a 90-93 ls engine and boost it. The motor is obd 0 and cheap (about 900-1200 complete swap).

The reason a civic is torqueles is b/c they have d-series in them and tegs have b17/18's in them. Get a civic (lighter car), get a b18 and swap it, then later boost it if you want and have a light car, torquey motor. You will be pleased.

Step one year forward and get a 90. It may be more expensive, but well worth it to start with a B-series in your chassis (also I think the 1g integra looks like ass).

Guys, it doesnt ask in his post if he should sell his car and get an integra or civic. He has the 89 Teg, so instead of telling him to get a different car which might not be feasable, give him what he wants to know. the best possible swap for his car. Now down to the point. Never go b16a in a teg. they are gutless and unless u want to get groceries all ur life, they arent the way to go. I dont know if b18a's will mount or wire into 89's but its worth the research they have a bulletproof bottem end and flow alot better than ur 1.6L(i believe thats what 89's and prior had).Thats pretty much the only engine id go for. B/c after that, if u go GSR or H22a, u are getting into to much money for the car. If u need that extra power, learn how to do an LS/Vtec and then get power. But until then the b18a will b a damn good engine.

Thanks for some of the info. I am already leaning towards finding a B18A with low milage. Does anyone know what sites have som good starting point prices. And going to a civic is a waste at this point, the first gen intergras are just as light.(2400lbs) : P. Thanks though.

Adam

Now wait just a second guys. Why is the B16 so acceptable in a Civic but not in a 1g Integra? (BTW, he said he is GETTING an 89 integra, not he HAS an 89 Integra, so I am trying to save him a little trouble here.)

Lets compare vehicle weights:
1989 Acura Integra RS Coupe: 2313 lbs
1991 Civic Si: 2291 lbs!!

So why does a 22 lb weight differential make the B16 not a viable option here? We are not talking about Integras that come stock with B-series engines here--we are talking about old light Integras.

Rather than putting a whole B18 in there, you might as well drop in a set of ZC cams and a ZC IM and have yourself a makeshift ZC for like $400. The B18 makes all of its power down low and doesn't like to rev much--I'd take that D-series higher into the red than a B18A any day. For the cost of your B-series swap (probably 1200-1500), you could PnP your head, run ZC cams and buy bolt-ons and have a quick little car. My ZC ran 14.7 @ 93 stock in a gutted 90 Si. With a PnP job, cams, and bolt-ons, I would bet that you could run the same (if not lower) in that Integra.

I dunno why I typed all that...I'd still go B16.

Look at an older issue from 2002 of scc they ddi the b16 swap into a teg. You can get the mounts from hasport.

The reason I am thinking about a swap, is because the engine already has 180,000 miles on it. I don't own it yet, but it is what I am buying. Now I know that a B16A is still fast, but I am really looking to get a fair amount of torque. The best idea I've come up with so far, is getting a supercharger later after I have the money. In which case I wont be needing the extra displacement the B18 has to offer. Now all I need to do is find a cheap place to find a good engine, hoping for a B16A. Thanks guys

Adam

Hey, well if u are gonig the route of B18a, dont buy one over the internet. they will charge u more. and unless u live near the place u gotta pay shipping and mess around if they break a part or leave 1 out.They are also just as high milage as anything at a wrecker. I suggest going to a wrecker, looking around for a good low milage engine and buying it from there, so u know what ur getting, and that ull get it for a reasonable price.

I got the car, and love it. The car has more miles than I had originally thought. It now has 205,000 miles. Though it still runs great and doesn't seem to have lost much power. It seems to keep up with most new 5 speed civics. My prior concern with torque has been obliterated with the preformance of the stock engine. I am now even sonsidering just getting a rebuilt D16 and getting some forced inducition on it. Money is tight right now, so I am hoping it runs for awhile. Now I have to consider how much I want to spend. I definatly want to keep this cars handling after driving 55 on a 25mph speed limit offramp. :) Thank for the help guys

Originally posted by 89integra@Jan 28 2003, 10:45 AM
I definatly want to keep this cars handling after driving 55 on a 25mph speed limit offramp. :) ...

What are you already trying to wreck it?

do the b18a you won't be disappointed in daily driving because of the torque. I like b16's but you have to rev the piss out of them to get highend horsepower(without a nice set of cams and compression but at least the R/S ratio is good) or boost it to make up for any low end torque that the b18 already offers. The b18a/b's are good motors that have strong rods but i wouldn't call them bulletproof due to the fact that the R/S ratio is very poor to rev over 7600 RPM's. People swear to LS/VTEC's but the R/S ratio to rev daily to 8k RPM puts a lot of stress on the bottom end leading to eventual failure. You didn't tell us your budget so i can't suggest anything over the b18a(800-1000bucks complete swap) or the b16a(1200 bucks).

Yeah im new in the tuner buisness and i have a 89 teg also but i dont know what all it has on it i bought it crashed from the from and its been moded but i dont know what engine it is or anything what should i look for

Yeah im new in the tuner buisness and i have a 89 teg also but i dont know what all it has on it i bought it crashed from the from and its been moded but i dont know what engine it is or anything what should i look for

Good God dude...this thread is six fucking years old...check the date next time...

Back