91 Civic Dx Sedan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Shaddix

I am thinking aboub buying a 1991 Civic DX 4 Door Sedan. No power steering or any of that jazz to compliment it... just a plain jane DX with a 5 speed manual transmission. I believe the transmission is in good shape but the engine just doesnt seem to have the power like it should. What would be the best swap to do that would keep the original transmission? I dont really want to have to replace that since its in good shape already and that would just add to the cost. I am not sure what kind of engine it has in it but it would probably be the smallest one they had back in 1991 since it is a DX without power steering. I suppose the new engine would have to not have power steering in it either. I am just looking for street performance, no dragging on a little Honda :unsure:

Your sedan manual transmission is already geared pretty well- the only difference between it and the Si transmission (your same generation Civic) is the final drive, and it's not that far off. The Si is 4.250 and yours is 4.058.

The best value swap for you is to get a DOHC ZC engine. They typically make about 130-140hp at the crank, and will bolt up to your stock transmission. The cost is usually around $400-500 for a long block. You have to convert your fuel system from DPFI to MPFI (add 2 injectors), then drop in an ECU that can control it, then drop in the engine. You could arguably be done for about $1000 in parts, max.

the DX is a great car, the MPFI makes it an awesome car to drive even with the 1.5l motor. I read the other day that the DX is the most over looked honda interms of performace, it is lighter than the si or ex, and the DPFI is easily coverted to a more efficiant system.

That sounds great. I like the DX series... pretty reliable car. I will look into the DOCH ZC engine. I would like to look into a turbo kit also. I am pretty knowledgable about them as to how they work, but you you have reccomendations on which would be the best turbo for this new ZC engine? This Ford Taurus that I have now basically sucks for racing cause it weighs so much, but its pretty quick and eats up a lot of gas.

I'm in the same boat that you are, except my car is an '89 DX sedan. I'm looking at the ZC engine, and also the D16Z6 engine. I'm confused on the ZC as there seem to be many versions. One person tells me to use a CRX Si ZC engine, and another says use one from an Integra. If you figure anything out, let me know. Later fellow DX driver.

P.S.- Power steering was an option on my DX also.....and my motor is burning oil like a factory.

I am sure we want to go with an Integra engine. The CRX Si (my friend has one) I believe only puts out 108HP if you get the SOHC version. We need the ZC that puts out about 130HP. I guess when I get the Integra engine, I dont know what to do if theirs a power steering pump on the Integra itself. Cause I wont be able to use it. I suppose I could rip it off but then I would need to get a different belt. Decisions.. decisions..

So far this is what I am seeing. The D16A1 is a 118HP Engine That comes out of an 86-89 Integra. The ZC is the exact same engine but it has 130HP instead of 118HP and is the JDM equivalent. So either engine would work, but the ZC would be more powerful. I suppose 130HP would be enough; I would like to have more but since we have the lighter cars (DX) that will give us an advantage.

One more question guys. Is their a different cluster I can use in my dash? My current cluster doesnt have a tachometer and I would like to have one. Not an ugly 5" one with a shift light that is duct taped to dashboard like some kids have. I want mine to just look more or less stock then anything.

There were many variations on the ZC some that were in the integra and a believe some that were in the civic si. Honda made ZCs that were both DOHC and SOHC, so it is all about what you can find. Personally i am a big fan of DOHC, i think it is a more efficiant system performace wise.
oh and the the guy burning oil in his DX, next time start your own post, but you might want to chage your valve seals, it is a pretty easy job to do and fairly cheap. Over head cam design is know for burning a little oil, but that is just the price you pay for efficinacy.

EDIT: Yes you can change your cluster, you need eithere the 88-89 or the 90-91 si, or ex cluster. it is a plug and play mod, but 88-89 is different than 90-91, so get what everyear your car is.

Back