93 Civic Dx Hatchback

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chakrabarti

Hey, i have a 1993 civic dx, hatchback
which engine should i swap into it, the b18c5 or the b18c spec r i hear they are both good
which one is easier, and which one will be better in the long run?
im not on a short budget but im not rich either, im cant afford to drop more that 7 or 8 grand TOTAL into the car, and its all stock right now
So basically, which would be a better engine, and would i have to mod the engine bay/brackets for either of them

Thanks alot for your help, any extra thoughts and how to make it better on my budget besides the engine would help thanks

well i would say that they are both about the same skill to install...huuummmm, i think it would be because they are the exact same engine. The b18CR, ITR, b18c5, are all the exact same engine except the b18c5 is US version, does not have the as high as compression and a little lower gearing as its JDM conterpart. There is absolutely no diffrance in the instal.

Alot of people perfer to get USDM engines instead of JDM because it a carfax report will show where it came from and how many miles it had however, finding a non stolen ITR is extremly rare and due to avalibility, people normaly have to go with a mystery machine from Japan.

Thanks alot, sorry Im a little new at the whole import scene
Well, how would i go about finding a non-stolen b18c5?
if it is way too rare, how do you suggest to get a b18cr?
Along with that, what would be a good TOTAL setup for my car, like what boltons should i get? NOS? body kit?
I want to make a car that is a kick @ss racer and can smoke those poser ricers out there..
thanks for your input and ur patience with my newbie ness...hehe

hmotorsonline or hybridrevolution .Neither motor is really any rarer than the other and both are the same to install.The B18C5 (usdm type R) will come hopefully with a LHD harness but that is the only difference as far as what they should come with.

Originally posted by chakrabarti@Feb 23 2003, 04:03 PM
Along with that, what would be a good TOTAL setup for my car, like what boltons should i get? NOS? body kit?

It is nitrous not NOS, NOS is a name brand (which sucks) n20 in the ITR = boom, the compression is way to high. If your really want N20, look at a b18b or a b18c1.

Body kits are a waste of money. the quality sucks, only ones that look good are played out, they are heavier, they ask for attention from theives and cops (both suck) and once you buy the kit then paint it, your pushing 2k easily. Put the 2k to a good exhaust system (500), air intake (100), light weight wheels and tires (15's max unless you have a brake kit, then get 16's) (800-1000 if you buy cheap wheels like rotas), quality header (dc sports sucks) (300) racing cat, (100) then save up for a kick ass suspention setup (stay away from Ractive, matrix, apc (do they make suspention parts) and other crap brands)

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Feb 23 2003, 04:15 PM
both are the same to install.

ohh i wouldn't say that!!!! we are having a heck of a time wiring up the jdm itr into E's car!! HAHAHA

write up to come?

What are you having trouble with? I thought that you could use the sols wire harnesses and then just run a chiped ecu?

Is the entire car being converted to a TypeR (5lug conversion) or is it just the engine? I cant wait to see pics of it finished

a b18c5 is fairly easy to install....with the right tools.....it'll take you at least a day or two.....it took me one day to install and another to correctly do the wiring.....wiring was a pain.....B18C5 is a must....but you only wanna run it all motor.....turbo or nitrous can really affect you....B18C1 is another good option...cost less than the C5 but can put in a lot of power too....

Thank you guys so much for your help..
Im really thinking about the c5 setup, if turbo is bad for it, i assume supercharged is as well, so should i just stick with n/a, and is that enough?
on the other hand, how is a comparable c1 w/ turbo? would it be as fast/faster?
I know about NOS, im just lazy to write out nitrous...
Ive done some reseach on the boltons, but i dont know much about suspension and springs/struts, can u drop some info on that as well.
Plus, lets say i do finally get my hands on a working motor, since i am so new how would i get help to install it without paying way too much for it? I dont have a garage or the right tools to do it, or the know how yet so how would i get it installed? I wouldnt go to a regualar mechanic right, proally a race shop??

Besides all of that, seeing how street racing is illegal, where do you guys race?

Thanks for all your help

Supercharger on a ITR is not totally unheard of but some good tuning is needed. As for suspention, make sure you go with a good brand. Tein is what i will be running shortly. Dont just get something that will drop your car, go for handling over height. anything over 2 inches is too much. For racing, i try not to streetrace and i have never raced past 2nd gear on the street. I tryed autoX last fall and fell in love with it. As soon as april comes, i will be entering tons of them. About where to go, find a freind who has a garage. It is not that complicated (a few write ups are to come) and you dont need the most advanced tools. Shops will charge anywere from 600-1500 for a swap. I say that i could use that money for bolt ons and also a new clutch.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Feb 24 2003, 03:40 PM
Is the entire car being converted to a TypeR (5lug conversion) or is it just the engine? I cant wait to see pics of it finished

Shops will charge anywere from 600-1500 for a swap. I say that i could use that money for bolt ons and also a new clutch.

yup the whole car is being converted :) i think the only mechanical part on the car still from the del sol is the master cyl on the clutch (and that might get changed too im not sure if it needs to be replaced but if it does and if the ITR one fits ill probly use it just to complete the ITR conversion) lol

personaly from doing this swap so far id say the ammount you learn about your car is worth a lot more than the $1500 to have someone else do it... im glad i decided to do it myself (with help, thanks B and Bill :) )

Back