95 Civic W/ B18b

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stooks

I have a 95 Civic Dx with a crappy little 1.5l and I am planning on doing a B18B swap this summer and then Turboing it later. Should I get a 94-95 motor or could I get a newer one. The 94-95 is OBD1 and the 96+ is OBD2, RIGHT? If I got the newer engine what would I have to change. If you could be specific that would be great. Or would I be better off just getting a 94-95? Then what tranny would work best. I heard that a GSR tranny is good or a B16 (What year could I use?). Also, I will have to get different axles, could I use the axles from whatever engine I get or do they have to be a specific year. I am also thinking about rebuliding the engine before putting it in. What suggestions do you have for pistons, rods, cams, etc.? Oh, one more quick question. What would be a good clutch for this motor? Thanks so much, sorry for so many questions but I just want to get the right stuff.

It's alway better to stay in your OBD,so IMO get a 94-95,and you would use the axles that come with the tranny you get.GSR is a good tranny,and if you want a B16 tranny you can use any one from 92+ (92 crx/civic siRII's to a 99-00 si's all are hydaulic).

for fewer hassles, get an obd1. if you do get a obd2, you have to get a wiring harness adapter to change from obd1 to obd2. about the tranny, go with the B18C Y80. i think the donor axles will work, not so sure though. if you do swap in a Y80 tranny, the GSR axles will fit perfectly. if you're going for turbo setup, build your application first, and then put in the motor, much more easier. For pistons, try to go like a 10.5:1. (it really depends on your boost) Eagle and JE should make some great rods. for just some right cam tuning, go with skunk2 stage 2. or if you want more power, go with toda's spec b. get adjustable cam gears, it's a must for turbo application. breathing out is another thing, get the best quality turbo manifold. good luck.

i think the donor axles will work, not so sure though. if you do swap in a Y80 tranny, the GSR axles will fit perfectly.
This doesn't make any sense.

For pistons, try to go like a 10.5:1. (it really depends on your boost)
Why would he want to raise his compression higher than a B16's,if anything he'd want to lower it and run higher boost.

for just some right cam tuning said:
For either of these,you will also have to upgrade your valvetrain.

people are just being asses......this is why i stop coming in here, too much comotion. get a life

Originally posted by viciousracing@Apr 3 2003, 10:56 PM
people are just being asses......this is why i stop coming in here, too much comotion. get a life

Commotion?Get a life?Hmmm... sounds like someone is in a bad mood.

if you plan on turboing the B18B then get the B18b tranny. The whole idea of a transmission is too increase the TQ from the engine to the wheels, so a smaller less torquey engine (b16a) needs lower gearing then a larger more torquey engine (B18B).

If you stay n/a the get a lower geared tranny w/ lsd ie B16a or ITR, If you go Turbo then you will already have lots of TQ and thus you wont need such a low geared tranny go with B18B (or B18c GSR).

Now a low geared tranny (b16a or ITR) w/ trubo will give you the most TQ at the wheels, but thats not always a good thing /bc you could start to have bad traction problems and you will also hurt you cars top speed, driving on long trips on the freeway will suck.

Back