98 Accord.....Head Gasket Replacement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMchic

So I have a 98 Accord and the head gasket is leaking. *NO Oil/Coolant mix...Coolant just going out the exhaust** The kit Im buying includes :

2 head gaskets, 2 valve cover gaskets, 2 intake manifold gaskets, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, 2 exhaust pipe gaskets, 2 soft gaskets, 10 cover bolt gaskets, 24 valve stem seals, 6 rubber seals, 2 oil seals, 6 spark plug seals, and 2 upper intake manifolds

Since the engine will be out, I figured I'd maintain it and have the water pump and timing belt done too. Any other suggestions?

Yea...I've been putting it off for a few weeks and its starting to get worse...so gotta do it ASAP

So I have a 98 Accord and the head gasket is leaking. *NO Oil/Coolant mix...Coolant just going out the exhaust** The kit Im buying includes :

2 head gaskets, 2 valve cover gaskets, 2 intake manifold gaskets, 2 exhaust manifold gaskets, 2 exhaust pipe gaskets, 2 soft gaskets, 10 cover bolt gaskets, 24 valve stem seals, 6 rubber seals, 2 oil seals, 6 spark plug seals, and 2 upper intake manifolds

Since the engine will be out, I figured I'd maintain it and have the water pump and timing belt done too. Any other suggestions?

While you have it apart get the heads pressure checked just to make sure. It would suck to put it all back together and find a head was cracked :eek:

Thanks...I'll make sure its done before putting it back together.....Also, will a head gasket issue effect the car from starting properly...Basically, the car is fine at initial start but say I go to the store when I try to restart the car it takes forever to kick over and runs poorly

Yeah it sounds like while it is hot the cooling system is under pressure and leaking coolant into the cylinders, retarding startup. This is especially the case if the exhaust is blowing white smoke on startup.

Anyway to ease the issue until I can get it done? If I open the radiator cap and add a little more coolant its starts up again fine. I guess...im releaving the pressure????

On good start ups theres no white smoke, no "head gasket" smell and it runs very good. On that retarded start up...white smoke, stinks and drives like crap. As of last night its now starting to hesitate going into second gear. Can the gasket issue effect the tranny?

Could be related to the heat, but most probably just because those trannies (V6) were FAMOUSLY weak and went out early. Change the fluid and see if the magnetic plug is covered with shavings when you pull it, and see if the fluid is burnt. You may have a tranny issue lingering.

Back