a few swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sean_b

hey , i am new to this board and pretty much to the scene. Anyways i have just boughten a 1990 honda civic dx hatch in pretty good conditon, It doesnt have a motor in it though. So what is my best bet? I was thinking a b16a swap, but with the b16a swap will i need a new tranny and what other new parts would i need? I have found a b16a for 599 with 35,000 miles on it. Also i hear lots of talk about the "mini me" engine and y8's? What exactly are these , and would these be a better way to go? How would they compare performance and price wise to a b16a? thanks in advance for the help , and i should have some pics of my car up on tuesday.

most of the time, when you buy a swap for a vendor, you'll receive the full swap, which includes linkages, axles, tranny, ecu, and possibly some other parts. I say b-series for sure. The b16 is a good little engine.

Also, when you go with the b16, you'll need a mount kit, from either HAsport or Placeracing (I recommend HAsport)

i figure about 0-2000 cdn funds so about 1500 Us

1500...That won't buy an OBD0 B16...even they are about 1600-1700 shipped...It depends on the motor, OBD, shortblock, longblock, full swap, clip, etc...go to H Motors Online.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...page&item=30021
that is the link to the motor i would like to get. Is it possible to leave the stock dx tranny in it or will i run into problems. I was thinking that i might not have enough for a complete swap(tranny etc, est at about 1800 bucks) so what would be my other options?

Sorry about asking so many questions, like i said before i am new to this.
Thanks!

you can not put a d series transmission on a b series engine and visaversa.

so would a mini me or a y8 be a better way to go? and what exactly are thses and how do they compare.

Almost no D or ZC series are compatible with B series...so you would need a tranny anyway. Theoretically, you could get it all cheaper if you bought the longblock from a company (i.e. h motors) and bought everything else independently, but you would just be making it harder for yourself...Buy everything you need at once, and avoid the frustration of trying to track down 14 year old parts. Make sure you get a cable tranny, unless you want to convert it to hydro--again, why more work than needed, if cable will work perfect.

So it's :

1.) Save up, get a CC, etc.. and buy the swap at once.
2.) Buy the longblock and buy ALL the parts you need over 3 months, 6 months, 2 years, whatever...
3.) Buy a car with a B series and go from there.

cheapest option woul dbe to buy a wrecked 90 - 91 integra with a good motor and 5 speed...

but you may have to wait a while, i have been looking for one for about 6months, found lots of cheap tegs, but they're all auto damn it
lol

whole car is better cause you need lots of parts...

b16 in a hatch is not that fast, i drove one, you need to stay between 6 and 8K rpm to make any power, you may be happier with a B18a for the torque

thanks for the help guys il keep my eye out for a wrecked integra. But just curious and once again sorry for the questions, but what is a y8 and mini me, and would they be something i could used without swapping the tranny, and what could i expect from them.

if your worried about the tranny then you should look in to the MINI ME.... a MINI ME is a SOHC non vtec bottom end with a sohc vtec on it, pretty much just like an ls/vtec or a cr/vtec

with the budget that your lookin at i would look into this, do a search to find out more info.

and a B16 in a civic is not slow, just cause you drove ONE doesnt mean jack, a b16 would out top end a LS......hmmm 160bhp or 140 bhp....what do you think

but anyways look into the mini me i believe you'll like what it has to offer for your budget

The mini me sounds like it would be a good way to go. So other then the SOHC bottom end and the sohc vtech on it , would i need a new tranny? and apprx how much would it cost to do a mini me ? Thanks once again guys. Your help is really appreciated.

if you are close to osaka they have b16's for 1050

but make sure you go there, do not have them ship it or you will get junk
and pull a compression test before loading the motor

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 8 2004, 05:21 PM
cheapest option woul dbe to buy a wrecked 90 - 91 integra with a good motor and 5 speed...

but you may have to wait a while, i have been looking for one for about 6months, found lots of cheap tegs, but they're all auto damn it
lol

whole car is better cause you need lots of parts...

b16 in a hatch is not that fast, i drove one, you need to stay between 6 and 8K rpm to make any power, you may be happier with a B18a for the torque

Why would you do a b18 when the zc is almost the same power and will cost a lot less to put in the car? Unless he is building the engine I would go zc.

doesn't the b18 have much more torque?

and how can you beat a wrecked teg that sells for 500?
the ZC alone would cost that much...
then you need trans and shit...

you buy the teg you have the motor, trans ecu... and many other parts, you would however need a mount kit...

I like when the places dont check the internals and you get a swap with aftermarket cams and valvetrain and stuff. my ex-boss got a ITR with fully built valvetrain and toda spec c cams. I only wish this was the case with my engine...

I can't see how a b16 in a hatch would be slow... I just swapped a b16 into my 90 teg and it pulls HARD...I'm sure that a hatch is lighter than my teg.

I say save up for the b16 swap from hmotorsonline...I got my swap from them and Steve is the man! ;)

i'm not saying its not fast... they are quick good little motors...

but unless you wanna drive EVERYWHERE between 6 and 8K then you want motor with a little more torque

just my opinions of course...

Back