A6/Y8 mini me noob

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

that's exactly what i'm looking for! thanks hell bro! i wanna do a full detailed write up when i do my swap, but idk cause it'd be my first. i've seen others do it, it seems like you gotta just take tons of pictures and then go through them in the end and put up captions. i just don't want everybody to have to go through countless hours and hours of research like i have. i want them to have a COMPLETE, FULLY DETAILED write up on the swap. there are some good write ups, but none that have been up to par ya know. just something i'm considering, maybe i could get a few pointers? thanks again

that's exactly what i'm looking for! thanks hell bro! i wanna do a full detailed write up when i do my swap, but idk cause it'd be my first. i've seen others do it, it seems like you gotta just take tons of pictures and then go through them in the end and put up captions. i just don't want everybody to have to go through countless hours and hours of research like i have. i want them to have a COMPLETE, FULLY DETAILED write up on the swap. there are some good write ups, but none that have been up to par ya know. just something i'm considering, maybe i could get a few pointers? thanks again

will you be replacing rings and bearings in the bottom end of the enigne you're doing the head swap on? cause if not you might want to consider saving your money and possibly just putting it toward an engine swap. for the gains i achieved it wasnt worth the effort. and after a few hundred miles i started blowing crazy blue smoke. cylinder 2 had 60 psi of compression :-( if i could go back i would of just put it towards a swap. thats just me anyway lol

well i plan on keeping the mini me for a little while, i'm not considering going b series yet. after i do this mini me, i'm going to be doing other modifications like brakes, suspension, and visual stuff, and of course little things here and there that should've been done a long time ago. after that's complete, i'll go b series. but yeah, i can get rings and bearing for super cheap, and have access to a nice hone for free, so i wouldn't be worried about that. once i do the mini me and if i have problems with pressure, i can always tear it back apart and do the bottom end, no biggie really.

on another note, since you've done this swap exactly, i had some more questions. i'm going to be doing a new water pump and whatnot while i have everything apart, should i also do a timing belt tensioner? or is that not really needed? and just to be positive, using a Z6 CAMGEAR on a Y8 HEAD and A6 BLOCK, that's all you need to do to the timing to be just about right on? and ADVANCE or RETARD? please be specific on this as it's gonna play a huge role in the car starting lol. i really appreciate your help in clarifying everything. i'm glad to finally speak to somebody with first hand experience and obviously pictures to prove it. it's finally putting my mind to rest knowing for sure exactly how everything's gonna go together. i dont' put myself to sleep at night thinking about part combatibility anymore lol. thanks again

Last edited:
i've seen the blue smoke deal on this exact same swap a few times and am curious whether there might be an oil starvation issure that's not being addressed right. anyone eve have this issue? might it be anything like an ls/vtec build? just asking.

that's a good question. i'd like it answered also, whether yes or no, before i start the swap. i can always do the rings later, but it'd be good to have it addressed to foresight upcoming events that might come along with the swap. thanks

i'm going to be doing a new water pump and whatnot while i have everything apart, should i also do a timing belt tensioner? or is that not really needed? and just to be positive, using a Z6 CAMGEAR on a Y8 HEAD and A6 BLOCK, that's all you need to do to the timing to be just about right on? and ADVANCE or RETARD?

if the tensioner is working as it should i wouldn't waste the money. its not a complex thing really. they're not like the swing arm spring type tensioners like on new vehicles. as far as a z6 cam gear being used i have never heard about it being used, but that certainly doesn't mean it won't work. It was just never suggested to me while i was doing the swap. so i cant say for sure on that. i can tell you if you get an adjustable cam gear you just have to retard the timing 4.5 degrees and then bolt it on.

i've seen the blue smoke deal on this exact same swap a few times and am curious whether there might be an oil starvation issure that's not being addressed right. anyone eve have this issue? might it be anything like an ls/vtec build? just asking.

It's not an oil starvation issue. you're not changing the oil pump or anything on the bottom end, and a sohc vtec head does not have a seperate oil feed like the ls/vtec builds. the problem is you remove an old cylinder head and install a newer one which not only probably seals a lot better at tdc then the old one, but you are bumping up the compression at the same time. if the bottom end has high miles as is and you go installing a newer cylinder head on it, then you are just asking to blow out the bottom end.

im happy to see all the A6/Y8 mini me love!!! keep up the research and posting of information. im concentrating my efforts elsewhere for the time being. but i do plan on building a MONSTER A6/Y8 Turbo in the future... and i couldn't agree MORE with "raceinspiredrex" when it comes to documentation and pics. i plan on covering EVERYTHING IN DETAIL (with pics) when the time comes. D16SiHatch, thanks for your innovative efforts and experience!!! saves us A LOT of trial by error.

shit hell!!! the 400+whp D's on turboD16 was enough to change my mind. im gonna go ahead and start my A6/Y8 mini me project. just got a new job/start monday. hell yes!!! im so amped i cant sleep. all i can think about is what all i really need for my rebuild. questions....

1. what oil pump should i use??? should i rebuild the A6 or use a Y8 or an aftermarket(reputable brand)

2. same question with water pump.

3. should i maybe consider an oil filter relocation kit??? im using the Y8 head and intake manifold. ***oil cooler will come much later***

IMO, timing is a very important issue with this setup... im trying to tackle this from every angle. AEM adjustable cam gear, not sure what cam, springs, valves, guides...
Hondata s300(get this mug tuned RIGHT), obd0 to obd1 harness, Y8 dizzy w/ MSD, (how the fuck does obd affect this swap) not sure what plugs...

ARP everything... Eagle H Beams... OEM bearings... im not sure what piston/ring combo. im waiting to talk to a machinist about all that. possible PnP and balancing. hell, maybe even get and overbore w/ sleeves and deck it. just depends on prices and how much im making.

**** IS ANYONE FROM THE DFW AREA??? LOOKING FOR A HONDA SAVY MACHINIST****

ARP everything... Eagle H Beams... OEM bearings... im not sure what piston/ring combo. im waiting to talk to a machinist about all that. possible PnP and balancing. hell, maybe even get and overbore w/ sleeves and deck it. just depends on prices and how much im making.

**** IS ANYONE FROM THE DFW AREA??? LOOKING FOR A HONDA SAVY MACHINIST****

wes lee, sounds like you're gonna be pushing that d to it's limits lol. i have everything i need for the swap now. i was planning on doing it this weekend, but when i was putting my head back together, i snapped 3 of the 4 outside rocker assembly bolts, they're the smaller of the bunch. i think my buddy's torque wrench isn't dialed in the best even though it's a snap-on. he's going to be trying to find a junk yard car and is gonna pull the bolts i need. hopefully this can still be done this weekend.

i completely rebuilt my y8 head, i should've done a writeup on that, sorry guys i was just so excited. and the same thing with my msd modified cap and rotor, i'm sorry for that one too lol. when i do my write up for the mini me, it's going to be detailed and i'll even try and include links to head rebuilds and doing the modified cap and rotor, and i'll include pictures of my stuff

maybe extrude hone instead of PnP.... port match everything, copper gaskets, extrude hone intake mani, exhaust mani, head, and block(oil passages, ect.), sleeves, decking...

you know pretty much any modification you do to your car is illegal right lol. yeah bro, that's car's gonna scream. it's gonna be killer eating up some b series for lunch ya digg. you better show the whole process! good luck bro

damn its late!!! or really early... guess it depends on what end your on. got back from the dirt track around 2.

word... this shit will be very well documented for all to see and awe... lmfao, jk. but seriously i really want to go ALL OUT on this. it really pissed me off how little information was available online about this swap. not to mention how long and hard i had to fucking search!!!***i was not employed*** but yet there is a plethera of info on how to swap in a LS. but i have seen some very good write ups on some mini me's. i saw a great one that inspired me to make my own. plus i own it may take a while but i just landed a badass job so... maybe my luck is changing. been working for umshceid race services for the past month. i pretty much worked for free minus lunch (THANKS J.C.!!!), but i have been learning some shit. they build AND race pro modifieds(like nascar). they also build other cars like legends cars(1930's/1940's fiberglass body with 1300cc yamaha engine), thunder roadsters(also 1300cc yamaha), dwarf cars, and bandaleros. they've been letting me wrench away!!! great bunch of guys!!! and he more or less got me a job with someone else. KICK ASS!!!

and yeah raceinspired... i mos def dig on the B killa!!! im ALL BOUT a sleeper!!! so a D would make it THE ultimate sleeper, ya know... till that fist psssssssssht :eek: lol... then its not a secret. with a fogger... and juice... i bet a can lauch that shit into orbit :) it'll be n/a for a while.

but hell yeah dude... props to you for sticking with this swap cause i know you know what a bitch it is sourcing information in forums for THIS SWAP. HA!

i was reading my work and remembered something else that pisses me off... why are there SO many parts and research/development availble for 92+... dont get me wrong. there are many parts available. but when it comes to bodykits... not many companys make a kit for 91 civic hatch. wings west is the ONLY one ive liked and ive seen about a million people rockin it so... plus they melt here in TEXAS :) same thing with suspension, headlights(not bulbs), stroker kits, blah blah blah.

yes wes lee, there isn't really shit for information about this swap. that's why we gotta take it into our own hands my man. i'm swappin to obd1, so i've already extended some sensors and whatnot, and i've started to run the wiring to convert to obd1. i need to start taking pics but i keep forgetting cause i'm so anxious to get everything together lol.

i think the only good kit is the wings west/mugen body kit. get rid of the silver/chrome mesh in the bumpers and paint it black and it looks sick. they also have a jdm style front bumper that you can use along with that kit which makes it look sooo impressive. i hate crazy body kits, that kit is super mild and super tasteful. it doesn't say rice at all, it says i don't want to be oem, but i stay away from starchy foods like rice. ya know what i'm saying? lol

Back