A6/Y8 mini me noob

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

like a PIMP!!! :eek: that looks damn nice!!! mad props for you build man.

awesome pic man, looks like you know what your doing. Is that a powdercoated Valve Cover?

timing covers... keep em or toss em???

Your choice. If its gone its easier for shit to get in there tho.

Just remember with E-gay stuff, its easy to make cheap stuff look good. Not to say that cam gear was a bad deal. You just gotta be careful.

i still have EVERYTHING from the A6... would i be good to run the A6 IM on the Y8 head? or use the Y8 IM i have? or get a manual Y8 IM...

As far as I can remember the Y8's manifold flows best out of all of the D series manifolds. I could be wrong though.

As far as I can remember the Y8's manifold flows best out of all of the D series manifolds. I could be wrong though.

You sir would be correct.

And to the OP, the auto intake mani will be just fine, the only difference between an auto an manual that I can think of is the extra cable wheel on the TB for the tranny kick down. I have some pics of what happens with ACL bearings if you would like to see them.

You sir would be correct.

And to the OP, the auto intake mani will be just fine, the only difference between an auto an manual that I can think of is the extra cable wheel on the TB for the tranny kick down. I have some pics of what happens with ACL bearings if you would like to see them.

cool... so all i need is a TB(manual). yes, id like to see those pics. thanks for the info

You can use the auto intake mani and TB without any problems.

And this is what happens when you have the crank ground and use oversized ACL race bearings.

l_e88a40f39ab98caa15e2f1d556b6846a.jpg

l_bdcb01ca42321816754bccd382c4e0a0.jpg

l_c9e428a6a3d1578d3f8d86f525de3ff2.jpg

l_fe0f1b7a4803f5e7e22ee034dd3f8604.jpg

That was my LS, so for my B16 Ill be going all OEM Honda.

lessons learned the expensive way... ill take the easy way and listen. what about gaskets??? i believe OEM gaskets are garbage, i could be wrong. whats a noteable brand(s)? thanks yall

thanks for the pictures, man!. I won't make that mistake in my build now. As for "wes lee's" question about OEM gaskets and seals. They appear to run 200+ k on these engines from the factory so OEM is always a good bet!.

well hell... i do believe im going to abort this project and spend my money on a LS swap. that what i REALLY wanted all along... i just have a perfectly good mini me to work with(and ive only invested $103 into the mini me) im starting to see reliability issues and complications/confusion when it comes down parts.

examples...

*(not my biggest con... more like a conspiracy theory lol... im must be high.) you cant just order head studs from autozone or wherever because "1" stud is an odd-ball (what if the company that makes/assembles the mini me stud kit goes under and no more kits... i guess you could order an A6 set AND a Y8 set just hold onto the extra "odd-ball" Y8's till you change studs again. hell... you might even start a "MINI ME SPECIFIC" trading thread were people could swap studs.

*i keep seeing conflicting info on timing belts (which work, which dont...)
*displacement
*low cost of a used LS
*id probably be happier with a USED swapped B18 vs. REBUILT D

having done the a6/y8 swap, i wouldn't do it again if i had the chance. i dont feel it was worth the money, and i wish i would of put it towards an ls in the first place.

awesome pic man, looks like you know what your doing. Is that a powdercoated Valve Cover?

nope. just regular ole walmart rustoleum gloss red spray paint. its all in the prep.. I started by sandblasting it, and then rinsing it out thorougly in a solvent parts washer. i then blew out all the remaining solvent and crud with an air gun. from there i just sprayed it with a standard light grey automotive primer. after an hour or so of drying i sprayed down a few coats of color, and thats about it.

I've actually got some better pics of it from when i sold the cylinder head on ebay. you can see how even after much use and abuse it still retained its shine, and only managed to acquire a few nicks along the way lol.

33913965de0.jpg

58955232bc4.jpg

one thing i'm interested in... i've heard that if you use a z6 cam gear on a y8 cam you must advance the gear 4.5 degrees because the keyway or whatever it's called is off by that much between the two cams. then i've heard that when using the y8 cam on an a6 block you must advance it half because that's how much the timing belt will be off by, which is about another 4.5 degrees. please correct me if i'm wrong, as i know any of us who are considering this head swap really need to know. please give as many details of your experiences as possible. we greatly appreciate it. thanks a lot

You are right, that you hafta play with cam timing. But, I have no idea what the actual numbers are. Im interested to know though.

d16sihatch, can you elaborate on this subject for us? you've stated that you've done this exact swap. there's tons of info on this exact swap, but people don't go into the nitty gritty details of things like this. please do, we'll all really appreciate it. thanks

d16sihatch, can you elaborate on this subject for us? you've stated that you've done this exact swap. there's tons of info on this exact swap, but people don't go into the nitty gritty details of things like this. please do, we'll all really appreciate it. thanks

sure thing :)

things you'll need:

-sohc vtec spark plug wires
-d15b7 timing belt (1992-1995 civic dx/lx)
-adjustable cam gear (retard the timing 4.5 degrees)
-intake gasket and y8 head mls headgasket
-p28, obd0-obd1 jumper w/ subharness
-one d16y8 head bolt (goes in the hole nearest the dizzy on the intake side, use a6 bolts for the rest)

i did not use a z6/y8 fuel pressure regulator and it worked fine. its up to whether or not you want to use the stock fpr or not.

Back