All-Motor setup--Tell me what you think!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by integraslut78@May 26 2004, 03:26 PM
For the Cams I would go with Toda or Crower (a little bit cheaper).

I am surprised you didn't mention skunk2. They make gnarly cams, while maintaining nearly stock idle.

Yeah still not to sure of exactly whats going to go into it but I do like the price and power of the Skunk2's but still doing a little research. I only want to build this once not buy then decide to switch. ;)

I will put the Wicked Cams I sell up against anything from Toda or Skunk 2 anytime. In fact, already tested them VS that. Dyno proven on a 250+ WHP motor.

I sell them for $600 shipped. Those are the only cams I sell,a nd I include them with our 250+ WHP crate block/head combo's.

Very similar to a skunk type 2, with a slight difference. they work.

And are the least expensive cams on the market for the performance they offer.

Give them a try. I back them 100%. They are proven.

calesta...your next pal. They are calling your name!

Jeff

Originally posted by Import Builders@May 27 2004, 12:10 AM
calesta...your next pal. They are calling your name!

Sure Jeff! Use Mike, by the way. It reads easier than my forum name. :thumbsup:

Do you have the dyno chart comparison up on your site? I don't see them anywhere...

Jeff
im curious about those cams... more specificly the low cam profile
do they keep the stock low cam profile (like thhe skunks) or do they go to a more agressive profile (like the todas) ???

they definatly sound promising so far though :)

the computer with all the graphs is in DOS. So I can't get them yet.

the idle fine. Toda cams have a real bad design, the primary lobes are stupid. But they were good 3+ years ago when they came out. Now they are burried by almost every cam company.

Jeff

so....... ummmmm.........

are the primary lobes the same or more agressive than stock???

Same as the skunk 2's virtually. Idle is good. VTEC is at like 5600.

Only cam on the market I know of with stupid primaries are Toda.

VTEC on them can be as high as 7,000 RPM.

Jeff

I thought VTEC was controlled by the ECU... <_< Maybe you are referring to the point at which the cams start to make power... :shrug2:

he is talking about the optimum VTEC engagement point

if you set VTEC to engage too low then you are not at a high enough RPM for the agressive lobe profiles to help you and you will lose power or bog

if you set it to engage too high then you pass the effective RPM range of the low lobes and start to lose power... then you switch lobes already into the RPM range where the high lobes are making plenty of power so you get a sudden surge of power this will upset the balance of the car and can cause you to lose traction as well

for example
when i first did my swap the VAFC was set around 6000 RPM (i didnt fuck with it at all i figured id just wait till i got it to the dyno and have them set it) VTEC engagement was very harsh (switching lobes in 3rd gear often lead to tire spin) it felt VERY strong.... when i got it tuned VTEC engagement was lowered to 5600... it did not feel as strong ... but i gained 15hp in the midrange

That is what I figured, Jeff seemed a little vague. I'm sure he knows his stuff, just needed a little clarity for myself.

Those cams sound very good Jeff and a very good price. I'll check them out!!! Any more info that will help my set-up will be great.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 27 2004, 12:39 AM
if you set VTEC to engage too low then you are not at a high enough RPM for the agressive lobe profiles to help you and you will lose power or bog

:werd:

which is why I think it's funny when people who have v-afc's (or any other type of VTEC controller) lower the VTEC engagement point to 3-4000rpm thinking the sooner they hit VTEC the sooner they're outtie on a near stock setup. I put it to the test and found I started to lose power with a VTEC engagement point around 5200rpm and below.

I have it figured out like a science 91crx.

A forced induction motor making as high as like 400 WHP or so is about only $1500 more than a fully built all motor engine making about 240-270 WHP.

of course, they are both over 12 grand easy for everything new you can buy.

I wrote an article on this.

http://www.importbuilders.com/ultimatestreetcar.html

thats an insightfull guide for people that are somewhat new to engine building and how much it costs.

Jeff

Thanks for the info again Jeff, I'm still planning most of the build right now but I did buy the GSR block I'm going to be using and that's it so far. Keep the replies coming. :D

No problem buddy. Isn't it fun planning and getting ready to do a build? its almost as fun shopping and buying all the parts than it is driving the car. lol.

Jeff

It's fun shopping for all the parts but I can't wait to have it built and see what it can do but I'm taking my time and doing it right the first time. I'm in no hurry, I didn't plan on this being done until Jan.-Feb. so I've got plenty of time.

Back