Another Computer Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

Every once in awhile my comp will restart all of a sudden. Is there a way to find out why ? is there an error message somewhere on my sytem that I could read from the shutdown ??? I don't think my comp is getting hot, the inside of my case is 82 F .......HELP

There was a virusa going around about 2 or so weeks ago that made your computer automatically restart, unannounced.

I don't have this virus, but I think something is wrong with my comp. I just turned off the automatic restart upon an error so know i will see a message and I'll let you comp. guys know what it says, maybe then you'll have more answers !!!

i used to have a problem somewhat similar to this. my computer would just restart after while loading windows(winxp screen). --fixed with a reformat and reinstall of windows.

It could be that your PC reached a critical error and locked up, but your motherboard has auto-reboot logic circuitry, so it looks like it's just rebooting like you say...

If you had NT/2000/XP there is an event viewer in the control panel, and you can research the error online...

Otherwise, you're SOL.

well it seems to happen mostly when I'm playing a game and all of a sudden the screen will go blank and the system restarts.

How can i view the event logger ?

Originally posted by randerson165@Dec 23 2003, 01:48 PM
well it seems to happen mostly when I'm playing a game and all of a sudden the screen will go blank and the system restarts.

How can i view the event logger ?

From the sound of it, your PC is locking up, and it's rebooting itself. WarCraft3 locks up my PC sometimes, and my MB doesn't have the auto reboot logic crap, so it just sits there til I hold the power button down for 5 seconds to turn it off.

It aggrivates me to no end, but I'll bet that's your problem too. Programming errors, or whatever causing the PC to lock up. I can leave the PC on forever and a day, and it won't lock up, even on WIn98, but every once in a while a game or soemthing that stresses the system somewhat cause data collision, and BAM. Locked up.

the event log said something about my atapi drive ??? is this my cdrom or harddrive ???

it said:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Originally posted by randerson165@Dec 24 2003, 02:25 AM
the event log said something about my atapi drive ??? is this my cdrom or harddrive ???

it said:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

well what do you have hooked up to that port?(there is usually two ide ports; ide 0 and ide 1, ide 1 would be secondary)

most likely cd rom, unplug it and see how it does.

Originally posted by SiR Kid@Dec 23 2003, 07:37 PM
It aggrivates me to no end, but I'll bet that's your problem too. Programming errors, or whatever causing the PC to lock up. I can leave the PC on forever and a day, and it won't lock up, even on WIn98, but every once in a while a game or soemthing that stresses the system somewhat cause data collision, and BAM. Locked up.

Thats called a Jody Computer =)

So um did you buy a ring for Xmas? =) want me to tell April you don't want her anymore? shes gonna be sad

i have both my hard drive and cdrom hooked up to my secondary

when i was installing xp on my system, it couldn't find my hard drive on the first ide port, so i just unplugged it and moved it to the secondary, worked fine and so i never have bothered to put it on the first one again

Originally posted by jeffie7@Dec 24 2003, 02:50 AM
So um did you buy a ring for Xmas? =) want me to tell April you don't want her anymore? shes gonna be sad

No ring, not yet. Having one figured up and made, soon, actually... it's a pretty nifty design, I think you guys will like it.

Anyway, tell April we're still on for right around April... I'm coming over to take a ride int he new Audi, of course! ;)

so let me get this straight you want me to drive my audi around with you and april in the back? hmmmm

and about the ring don't do it! run!!!!! run!!!!!!!!! =)

your config sounds all fucked up....

i'd suggest unpluging everything and starting over.

set up like this:

if you have 1 hdd and 1 cd rom,
primary master- HDD
secondary master - cd

if you have 2 hard drives and 1 cd, or 1 hdd and 2 cds
primary master- HDD1
secondary master - CD1/HDD2
secondary slave - CD2/CD1

if you have 2 of each

primary master- HDD1
primary slave - HDD2
seconday master CD1
secondary slave - cd2

verify cable position, and jumpers are correct for each position.

plug everythign in

98 boot disk to an A prompt

formatthebitch.com

re-install XP

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 24 2003, 05:03 AM
if you have 2 of each

primary master- HDD1
primary slave - HDD2
seconday master CD1
secondary slave - cd2

i did that and my hd-to-hd transfer rates sucked

i read somewhere that the prefable setup is