Anyone know how to fight this charge?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SasSi

So, even though I've had my exhaust on my car for 3+ years & even though my car before that had an exhaust for 2+ years, I was just pulled over for it! I've been pulled over plenty of times & cops have never said anything to me about it before, not to mention the cop that stopped me this time failed to mention the 50% tint I have on my entire front windshield. The cop knew he couldn't get me for speeding so he sticks me with this total BULLSHIT ticket for my exhaust, which I plan to take to court to fight.

What it says on the ticket:
modifying (exhaust system) on motor vehicle causing excessive noise

MD code Title 22, Sub-Title 609, Paragraph Code A:
Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

Basically, the cop was a complete fucking prick, looked like he was right out of the academy, just one of those complete ass wipes on a power trip. I felt like telling him the noise wasn't from my exhaust, but from my intake or motor or header, but that wouldn't have helped the situation, I'm sure.

Anyone have any idea on how to fight this ticket? I thought about getting dB readings from Greddy & comparing them to the legal limit for my state/county, but it looks like I'd have to compare them w/ the stock readings.

If its not from your exhaust just take pictures of your exhaust and bring them into court. I got pulled over once in my car by a bike cop for the same thing and I just said 'hey, why don't you look at my exhaust, its stock!' and he shut up pretty quick about that.

Fighting it is a good idea, and so would be taking pictures into court. A judge surely knows what a ricer muffler looks like.

put the stocker on, go get it checked out, show up in court with "fixed" paper work, and it will drop

happened to me here in new jersey. they gave me the ticket told me if i get proof from a shop that i got the exhaust takin care of by court date the fine would be drop. i got a fake receipt from my friends dads mieneke and didnt pay a dime...but i dont know how it works where ever your from

:EDIT: ^ previously stated already :shrug2:

Originally posted by zueke@Jun 29 2004, 11:00 PM
If its not from your exhaust just take pictures of your exhaust and bring them into court. I got pulled over once in my car by a bike cop for the same thing and I just said 'hey, why don't you look at my exhaust, its stock!' and he shut up pretty quick about that.

Fighting it is a good idea, and so would be taking pictures into court. A judge surely knows what a ricer muffler looks like.

Only problem with that is the Greddy Evo definitely doesn't look stock. :(

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jun 29 2004, 11:01 PM
put the stocker on, go get it checked out, show up in court with "fixed" paper work, and it will drop

I don't think that will work because he said "This is a citation, not a work order. I could've given you a repair order in addition to or in leu of this citation & you would've had to take your exhaust off within 30 days. But I didn't do that... I'm trying to help you out." :roll:

I'd say go into court and say he never measured it, and if he did the device wasn't calibrated and was picking up too much ambient noise.

but you're in cali aren't you?

I'm with B on this one (even tho he hasn't said it yet) Reason number 20828298298928......

I've said it many times before on this board...

State of Maryland as with most other states you cannont modify your car.
However, 99% of the cops wont inforce the law becuase it's pretty much bs anyways.
BTW state of maryland does allow mustangs to have louder then stock exhuast "not shittin you"

If you go to court the judge might be nice and drop the charge or he might state that it is the law and thats that

Im guessing all you have to do is have a random copfriend look at your car and sign the ticket listing that it has been put back to stock all you have to do is send that into the courts and the ticket is dropped

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jun 29 2004, 11:43 PM
I'd say go into court and say he never measured it, and if he did the device wasn't calibrated and was picking up too much ambient noise.

but you're in cali aren't you?

I'm with B on this one (even tho he hasn't said it yet) Reason number 20828298298928......

reason #382094832094 is for cali....

once again it's not how loud it is unless it's up to OEM par it is not allowed! but as always almost no cop gives a shit

I thought all the greddy crap was carb exempt?

Not that I care, you should see some of the crap kids get away with up here...

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jun 30 2004, 12:06 AM
I thought all the greddy crap was carb exempt?

Not that I care, you should see some of the crap kids get away with up here...

Carb exempt means it's ok when it comes to smog time, however that does not mean it will pass state laws if the law stats that you cannot change anything on your car.

once again I can't push enough that it's a law that almost NO ONE ever inforces

as Sas said he must have been right out of the academy and was trigger happy

Originally posted by SasSi@Jun 29 2004, 09:11 PM

I have the GReddy EVO on my EBP Si, check GReddy's website, I'm sure it will say on there it does not exceed the decibel limit. Print out the page and take it to court with you. I know for a fact it does not exceed the limit, however the Apex'i N1 I have on my other Si does. Hold up I'll try and find the decibel readings on the EVO for you...

The paper that you get from greddy is not a smog cert, its a NOISE decibel limit Stating that the exhaust conforms to CA Law about Exhaust.

I'm also reading as I type this on the back of IMPORT TUNER, an add for the GReddy EVO exhaust system and it says:

GReddy EVO Exhaust System = 94 dB(A) @ idle and 92 dB(A) @ 3000rpm.

"All GReddy street exhaust systems comply with CA and many other states sound limits of 95 dB(A)"

"Not only are they below 95 dB(A) but our unique straight through design offers that deep sport GReddy sound."

When you bought the exhaust it should have came with a paper which states that your exhaust conforms to CA and other states laws about exhaust systems, in that it is under 95 dB(A) which is the required decibel limit.

Since you're in Maryland, check what your states decibel limit is, I don't think it will be much different from the one here in Cali, so if it's 95 dB(A) you're good to go and you should be able to fight and beat the ticket.

Originally posted by SasSi+Jun 29 2004, 11:11 PM-->
@Jun 29 2004, 11:00 PM

You're not the first person I've heard about getting a ticket with that exhaust.

show them a little leg ;) jm :-D i dont know anything about the sound stuff down, or up, there. but over here they dont check sound(unless its really loud; as in straight pipe and free flow muffler)...you just get ticket for blasting music too loud.

That’s funny, I live in the dc metro area (rockville) and I drove for about a month on just a header. Never got pulled over, although I do have 2 tickets for not having a license plate on the front of my car. Still havent mounted the plate:/

I cannot stand a cop on a powertrip. The summer before I came into the marines I got pulled over 50 times..either for no front plate (NY) or my clear taillights. Only one cop gave me a ticket and the judge dropped it anyway. Tell them you joining the military, your in the process of signing the papers, most judges are compasionate towards that and drop the ticket. I had two years ago a ticket dropped that was 98/55 because im in the military.

welcome to maryland my dear.. sucks ass dont it? I had the same exact charge.. same exact exhuast.. just bolt on the stock one take pictures show up to court and say you got it fixed they'll drop it.. they did for me..

what court will you have to go to? (what part of the state?)

Back