B16 block and GSR head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dra6on45

Would there be an advantage to using a B16 Vtec Block over a GSR block with my GSR head. Just blew my motor on sunday. :angry: Thinking of what to do. :unsure: I just got a new GSR head. :D I'm not really trying to go LS/Vtec but it is an option.

b16=1.6L
gsr=1.8L
see a difference?
get a gsr block and you will have more power, but you can use the gsr head on the b16 block if you want. be sure you get a gsr intake manifold as well because the b16 manifold will not fit the gsr head.

According to c-speedracing.com using a USDM B16 bottom end and a GSR head puts your compression at 10.4 : 1

if you are starting off with a B16A engine, and you swap the head for a GSR. you will gain HP.

if you are starting off with a GSR and you swap the block for a B16A block...you will loose HP.

I have not heard of any one doing this, I would be curious to compare a GSR head on a B16 to a b16 head on a b16, see which produces better power for an all motor set up. It sounds like the GSR head has some potential of making some more power on a b16...

well i will only be doing this since I blew my motor and if i can't find a gsr block, then I will try for a B16 block.

u think I should, but isn't that more maintanence.. and more money? I am on a budget. a low one. Im jus trying to get my car up and running again, with maybe jus a few things upgraded

It is not more maintenance, it can be more money. What kind of budget are we talking about here?

i can't really confire this since i havent seen flow test of both heads but i heard the b16 head flows better than the gsr head.

There is a difference. All the flow dyno results I have seen say that the GSR flows better in the midrange and the B16 flows better up top. However the differences are insignificant.

Read before you type. He has the GSR head already and needs to pick a bottom end.

If you can't be bothered to read the entire post before replying, don't reply.

I think Imma just get a GSR block to complete it. Thanks for the replies.

hey bro i had the same problem, i had a gsr in my ek coup i was red lining 3rd and missed 4th & hit 2nd i then herd a loud knocking nois i pulled my engen apart & found a spun rod bering it was so bad that even my crank was no good so i used a b16 block and put ls piston head cus i was told gsr head on b16 block would lower compression so i lowerd it even more 8:5 it still felt pretty fast on top end i drove it for about 3 months till i got my gerrit turbo 15lbs of boost like nutin it wasnt that much eather like 2500 labor & turbo set up

First of all, congratulations on bringing back a 5 year old thread from 2003 to leave a comment for somebody who hasn't been here for years...seriously, awesome man...

And second, are you saying that you built a motor consisting of a 1.6 liter B16 block and an LS head??? That's got to be the absolute worst hybrid B-series engine combination that anyone could possibly come up with...

Wow...just, wow...

Last edited:
I didn't understand that post either.

hell i didnt think you could put LS rods in a b16 block. I always thought the B16 deck height was shorter than any other b18 block.

ohh well i guess its time for a lock

Back