B16 Build Up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wasup, I was wondering what to do to make more power out of my B16. I might build an ls/vtech or b20
I dont know what to do or should i keep my 16 and raise the compression cause its a 1.6. What about cams i heard only 16 whp. What should I do for I/H/E (intake,header,exhuast) and if I build a b20 will my axel be ok

THANKS, Zoarette racing team

LS/VTECH ????

you mean this???

s3e49d213a5764.jpg

First thing you can do is to spell better ;) and I doubt cams are going to get you 16 whp, although I wouldnt doubt the manufacturer told you that. If you really want to make your car faster turbo it, or send your block in to be bored out, and maybe get some different rods to increase your stroke. That would get you to a 2.0l. If you have the money I would do a turbo kit as well as that. But turbo is expensive. To do it right you are looking at around $5k including tuning, to do it cheaply (low power gains, like 75 hp or so) maybe $3k, and for massive power gains, $15k or more. All about what you want out of it, and you only get out what you put in. Look around on the board there is alot to learn here, and then if there is something you can't find ask questions. But do look first chances are its already been asked.

Originally posted by mwasnp@Feb 11 2003, 11:08 PM
send your block in to be bored out, and maybe get some different rods to increase your stroke. That would get you to a 2.0l.

You're not going to make 2.0L on a B16 block without some pretty extensive modifications. It would be cheaper to buy a B18 block and resleeve/bulletproof it for a 2.0L bore.

sorry but i dont think that thats a b16 /ls i dont see a vtec selenoid and the cell phone is a good cover up on the valve cover

Originally posted by jjay@Feb 16 2003, 05:53 PM
sorry but i dont think that thats a b16 /ls i dont see a vtec selenoid and the cell phone is a good cover up on the valve cover

for one.. its an LS... ppl stick VTEC heads on to ls blocks = ls/vtec. That n00b spelt it vtech, with a "h", the same way the phone maker company does (house phones, not cell). So they made that pic to add the "VTECH" onto the LS block..

I can't believe I had to fucking explain that shit. I feel fucking dumber now!

By the way, does zorette racing have any open spots? I mean, I don't have VTECH or a 2.0L b16, but hey, I will try to keep up with you guys at the track.

:ph34r:

OOps Thanks for the info, but what about super charging it so i can get some good low end power. What about a hytech header I've heard a lot of good things about them,

Thanks Zoarette racing

Btw, it's probally impossible to get a B16 to 2.0 lt.....Since EVEN if you sleeve the block, the biggest bore you can get out of it is 84 mm or you'll start thinning out the water passages thus cracking the cylinder walls in the long run....Besides that, the only other thing you can do to increase the displacement would be to increase the stroke, since the deck height of the B16 and B17 are alike, you can swap a B17 crank into the B16 motor and use B17 rods to increase your stroke without running into piston to valve problems....I did the same setup in my ride....I had to do all the research so I talked to AEBS professionals and to some of the local shops who do this kind of stuff every day, and most come up with 100 different viewpoints....But I say upgrading your B16 will be worth it.....Mostly because the R/S will be better than any other block you work on guarenteed.

If I Do swap the B17 crank into my 16, Wont I have to much low end power cause Im still running stock clutch ,and stock axles. Every thing would snap It sounds good though how much HP are you pumpin what about a lighter fly wheel I heard that if you go to light you loose revs when shifting, is it really worth buying a new one or a used

Thanks
Zoarette racing

the power gained with that crank isnt going to break things. it only adds about a tenth of a liter of displacement. the power gained depends on what rod/piston combo you use. i dont know if you can use the b16 rods, they might be too long.

O thanks, A B18C5 intake manifold would fit my B16 right? or would it be better to get a JG edlebrock, skunk, toda, or JDM

yes the type r maifold will bolt up. i think the skunk2 and the type r are pretty similar. the others you mentioned are pretty extreme and i dont personally know how they perform or if the are suitable for street.

Back