B16A slow....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

4DRB16A

Well I have had my 914DRB16A for about 6 months now and I am not really impressed with the speed of the B16A. The other night I raced a 91 Civic HB w/ D16A only mods being some bottom end work, header, CAI, cat-back exhaust, and a PM6 ECU chipped. We raced from a roll around 30 MPH and we were side by side and if we didnt slow down for light, he would of gained on me slowly. The only mods I have are CAI, Stage 3 Clutch, and Ultralite Flywheel. I think what is hurting me the most is that I still have the stock exhaust on it. But shouldnt I still be quite a bit faster than him since I have more HP/TQ?

P.S. The only code I am throwing is code 2 for the secondary O2 sensor. I have bought new sensors and ran a wire to ECU pinout C8 and still get the CEL even after unplugging the battery for 5 mins. I have come to the conclusion that it has to be a clogged cat. Will a clogged cat and bad O2 sensor make the B16A not run as fast as it should?

P.S.S Also when my car gets warmed up and I stop at a light and put it in neutral it will rev from 1.25 - 1 RPM back and forth continuously unless I have my foot on the gas.

Any thoughts would help me I really want to unleash the full power of the B16A!

Thanks,
4DRB16A

I would definetly suggest installing an aftermarket exhaust system. Its probably not breathing right. Get a decent header, high flow cat and full piping & open her up. If your throwing a code for an 02 sensor it shouldn't hurt your performance too much. Definetly ditch the stock exhaust. Let us know.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Jun 30 2005, 11:16 PM
I would definetly suggest installing an aftermarket exhaust system. Its probably not breathing right. Get a decent header, high flow cat and full piping & open her up. If your throwing a code for an 02 sensor it shouldn't hurt your performance too much. Definetly ditch the stock exhaust. Let us know.
[post=518933]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I found a local shop that is known to be the best around my town that will install 2.25" magnaflow muffler and run 2.25" piping for around $300. That is not including the hi-flo cat.

fuck cats. get a test pipe (buy a pipe from autozone and have it welded in place).

The O2 sensor problem will cause your performance to go down. With only one O2 sensor hooked up the ECU reads your A/F ratios differently and makes you run rich. Rich kills power. Make sure yu have your secondary O2 hooked up to C8 and your primary O2 on C16.

Its not worth the polution you create to run a test pipe. It frees up all of like .3 hp. .3 hp loss >>>>>>>>> Destroying Environment.

He also has close to 3 or 400 pounds on you, depending on who had the more full tank of gas. You have a decent amount more horsepower, but only about 10 more ft/lbs of torque, and those 10 pounds can get eaten up fast by 300+ pounds.
You said he had bottom end work, what exactly does he have. If he's up the compression a decent amount your looking at a decently powered motor than weighs in less than your B16, in a car than weighs in less than your 4dr.... just food for though.

But I also agree, open that exhaust up and see how that helps. Restrictive exhaust is killing your top end which is where the B16 is happiest.

I dont think a few thousand car with no cat are gonna do a lot of damage to teh environment. All the damage has been done by the muscle cars of the past and all the new cars are ULEV or LEV.

If you live in a state that has smog regulations, tehre is a reason for that and I would get a cat, but otherwise, its a waste of money when you can spend $5 to put some pipe in place of it.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 1 2005, 06:17 PM
Its not worth the polution you create to run a test pipe. It frees up all of like .3 hp. .3 hp loss >>>>>>>>> Destroying Environment.
[post=519162]Quoted post[/post]​

Um, no. Hollowing out a cat doesn't gain shit (increased turbulance = bad flow), but a test pipe that replaces it does. I went from 158ps to 166ps with only a test pipe.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 1 2005, 04:47 PM
I dont think a few thousand car with no cat are gonna do a lot of damage to teh environment. All the damage has been done by the muscle cars of the past and all the new cars are ULEV or LEV.

If you live in a state that has smog regulations, tehre is  a reason for that and I would get a cat, but otherwise, its a waste of money when you can spend $5 to put some pipe in place of it.
[post=519358]Quoted post[/post]​

Man, I dont mean to be rude but thats horrible thinking. Yes, just ONE car with no cat is affecting the environment. You might think your one car isn't hurting, but I'm sure the number of people running no cat is clear past the thousands mark. Just because you aren't putting out as much pollution as the big V8's of the past doesn't mean your putting out clean air. The only reaon a state/city gains smog regulations is because they start to have a problem with pollution. Take a little bit of a proactive approach unless you WANT emissions regulations in your area. The damage has not been done, its BEING done, the unfortunate repercussions of cars based around fossil fuels. You have much less of an excuse as your dad does... you know EXACTLY what your car is doing to the environment. Everything you put into the environment will take time to come out, and the longer you run without your emissions controls, the longer its going to be before the environment finally deals with itself. Have a little respect for your future grandchildren and mine and put that cat back on your car for daily driving.

Oh yea, and of course do it to save the penguins.

modifying your car at all (performance wise) harms emissions. do you drive a 100% bone stock car?

I dont mean to be rude or anything.

Originally posted by B16CRX@Jul 2 2005, 02:56 AM
modifying your car at all (performance wise) harms emissions. do you drive a 100% bone stock car?

I dont mean to be rude or anything.
[post=519445]Quoted post[/post]​

Gasoline engine = bad for the enviroment. No one that drives one can really talk shit.

LOL he wrote a novel about how bad a test pipe is. LMAO. seriously...

think before you type/speak ...

DUDE DRIVING is BAD for the enviroment. either way your spitting crap outta the exhaust. so its not "filtered" as much. plz dude... think about the cigarettes the world smokes a day or a goddamn city bus or semi truck or your moms SUV. those are fuckin up the enviroment. Or a boosted engine... thats shitting out more exhaust. the cat isnt gonna save your ass or anyone elses. were doomed either way. How about a garbage incenerary. Or chemical labs. or industries that dump shit into your water. SO GO AHEAD AND REPLACE THE DAMN PIPE.

I say if you live in a state without emissions every 2 years, then by all means do a test pipe. who cares right. but if live say in cali, or maryland just get a highflow cat. cuz its not worth having to swap the cat in and out again. especially if they use mirrors to check if you have them.

Back