B16a3 In A 93 Del Sol

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

feardrew2

I am on the dying legs of my d16z6 in my 93 del sol. I know that it would be cheaper to simply replace the z6. But I was wondering how much of the other stuff I would have to replace were I to go the b16a route. i.e. alternator, ps, trans, linkage, ECU, axles, the whole nine yards.

I know a question like this has been asked before, and I understand that a b18c5 would be the "best" way to go, but you all must understand, I can't afford that, and I know that the b16a doesn't make as much HP. I just like to play with my car, and no matter how much I love it, that won't make any more money for me to replace the fading engine that I currently have.

Thanks
-Drew

Cost effective? The b16a3 is incredibly rare- you would have better luck with the b16a sir2 (jdm) or the obd2 b16a2. Thats if youre set on the b16 motor. But A gsr would be very nice, and the LS would be the most cost effective. The LS owns the b16 up until 4th gear anyway, and not many street races go past 100 mph. Not to mention the LS has mad torque compared to the b16, its a pain in the ass to shift at 4K just driving normally.

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&#entry43455

My recommendation- If you have the cash, get the b18c1, if not, the LS is a pretty good choice. But if you like high revving and dont mind having absolutely no torque- b16 would be good too.

Yea,a b18c1 would be the nicer of the two,but remember whichever one you get seek out obd 1 and a B series shiftlinkage for a delsol.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jan 11 2003, 11:49 AM
Yea,a b18c1 would be the nicer of the two,but remember whichever one you get seek out obd 1 and a B series shiftlinkage for a delsol.

But if a obd2 motor can be found for a decent price- go for it. All you need is the wiring harness (should come with it if you get a b18) and a obd1 p75/p72 ecu.

Originally posted by SolReaver+Jan 11 2003, 08:34 PM-->
@Jan 11 2003, 11:49 AM

But if a obd2 motor can be found for a decent price- go for it. All you need is the wiring harness (should come with it if you get a b18) and a obd1 p75/p72 ecu.

True,true,true :D I thought the p75 didn't run vtec though?

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jan 12 2003, 02:31 AM-->
Originally posted by SolReaver@Jan 11 2003, 08:34 PM
92b16vx
@Jan 11 2003, 11:49 AM

True,true,true :D I thought the p75 didn't run vtec though?

It doesnt- I said that in reference to selecting a B18 - not specifically the ls motor or the gsr. The p72 runs the gsr and the p75 for the LS

ok so clearly I am an idiot for wanting the b16a. And I understand that others amoung you feel that there are better engines to choose from, and I appreciate your advice. However, if I were to settle for a b16a Sir II which I believe I have found, for $2400, what else will I need to complete the swap? i.e. will I be able to keep my alt, p.s., a/c, how about the tranny, and linkage and axles?

The real question at hand here is will a b16a Sir II drop into the 93 del sol SI using the motor mounts already in place? And what is the deal with the wiring harness? Do I keep the one I have and plug the new engine into that, despite that fact that it will come with a right hand drive harness of its own?

What other problems might I face (meaning things that will cost a significant amount of money to fix) that I should know about. And the grande finale, question of the century, is there a web site out there that will show me what it takes to do a swap on a del sol? Preferably a detailed description so that I know what I am getting into, and maybe talk me out of it?

Sorry to ramble on so much, but I am a little frustrated and rather confused with what seems to be the circles these engine swap sites run me through.

Thanks,
Drew

my b16a will own all LS motors. if you can get a clean b16a, go with that over the LS any day of the week.

plus, LS transmissions suck, i know, i've had one in a previous setup.

Originally posted by feardrew2@Jan 13 2003, 10:42 PM
ok so clearly I am an idiot for wanting the b16a.

No, not at all. The b16a can be a great motor, just look at chets car, he runs low 14's on a stock motor with a vafc and an itr tranny ( i think)

However- I personally raced a friends stock sir2 b16a in his ek hatch, and i beat him up until the top of third gear. I have a stock ls in my del sol. Tranny makes quite a bit of difference.

The b18b is good for the money, and it responds quite well to turbocharging.

yeah too many people on here bash the b16, i don' tknow if it's the fad now, but yes they are torqueless, yeah i had one in a crx with a shitload of internal work, it wasn't bad but it wasn't great at alll.... if i did it over again it would be b18b

on the other side of things- ive beat a stock b16 in a ek hatch up to about 100 mph, full story is in the racing section

pills, did you ever run at the track when it was the bone stock b16?

Originally posted by feardrew2@Jan 13 2003, 09:42 PM
ok so clearly I am an idiot for wanting the b16a. And I understand that others amoung you feel that there are better engines to choose from, and I appreciate your advice. However, if I were to settle for a b16a Sir II which I believe I have found, for $2400, what else will I need to complete the swap? i.e. will I be able to keep my alt, p.s., a/c, how about the tranny, and linkage and axles?

The real question at hand here is will a b16a Sir II drop into the 93 del sol SI using the motor mounts already in place? And what is the deal with the wiring harness? Do I keep the one I have and plug the new engine into that, despite that fact that it will come with a right hand drive harness of its own?

What other problems might I face (meaning things that will cost a significant amount of money to fix) that I should know about. And the grande finale, question of the century, is there a web site out there that will show me what it takes to do a swap on a del sol? Preferably a detailed description so that I know what I am getting into, and maybe talk me out of it?

Sorry to ramble on so much, but I am a little frustrated and rather confused with what seems to be the circles these engine swap sites run me through.

Thanks,
Drew

I am in the middle of this swap, so i can give you a little insight on it. depends on what comes with your swap, you could end up spending a tone of money on buying external parts. before you buy, make sure you get as much info on what will come with your motor. now as for what will you need: 94 GSR axles, alt, ps, ac, tranny, shiftlinkage, extend O2 sensor wires, throttle cable from a 94del sol Vtec, upper and lower radiator hoses from a 94 GSR, and whatever aftermarket parts you want to put on. This seems like a lot (and it is), but your swap should come with most of these parts( ie: alt, ps, ac bracket and compressor, ect, ect...). wireing is a straight plug in because the pinouts on the p28 and p30 are the same. mounts are the same. it should be an easy drop as long as you have the right parts there in hand. things that are cost significant should be your external parts that may need to be replaced ( alt, starter, ps, ect...) because they are jdm and there is usually no warranty on the externals for a swap.

Now as for shift linkage, i am a bit puzzled :blink:, i went out and bought 94 del sol vtec linkage for the swap. the tourqe rod works and bolts up, but the shifter rod that connects from the bottom of the shifter to the tranny is about an inch and a half short. hasport tech says to use del sol vtec linkage, but i have tried every way to fit it and it is short. i went to acura and ordered a GSR shift rod, it will be in tomorrow, so hopefully it will work, if not i will have to go and have the stock del sol si rod cut and welded. i will keep all informed on what comes out from this and post pics.

Originally posted by chet@Jan 13 2003, 10:45 PM
my b16a will own all LS motors. if you can get a clean b16a, go with that over the LS any day of the week.

plus, LS transmissions suck, i know, i've had one in a previous setup.

haha, Chet Vs. Brian, Round 1

Ok here's your list

Your choice of Engine Tranny and ECU. On the Ecu your p28 will run all but the GSR engine if needed.

from any 92 up manual integra or VTEC Sol or 99-2000 civic Si
Rear Engine mount
B series axel and intermediate shaft
Exhaust manifold and cat or header
Flywheel Clutch Throwout bearing

from sol VTEC
A/C mount
Shift Linkages
Radiator Hose

From your Sol
Rest of engine mounts
Engine Harness
Throttle cable

Things to consider while you are at it

Your Brakes Make sure they at least have good pads for your new more powerful motor.
VTEC sol radiator, Gauge Cluster, any bolt ons that you want to add while you have the motor out and have to put it in. Recomend a CAI DIY or aftermarket.

And that's about all. You will need an engine hoist to do it yourself and a few tools. Air tools help but aren't necessary. You will need a axel nut socket and new tranny fluid / antifreeze etc.

The swap is pretty strait foreward. you may have to add a knock sensor wire depending on what motor you get and ecu you use, but that wound be it for wiring.

As for the guy with the Linkage problem the Sol VTEC linkage works. Make sure it didn't get bent in shipping to you and it's the right part, cause it is the only one that works for Del Sols.

It tuns out that Honda in Galveston ordered the wrong linkage for me. they ordered the Sol Si shift rod insted of the VTEC rod, so it was shorter. ohh and FYI: the axle nut needs a size 32MM socket to remove.

Back