B16's Time Trial Road Racing Del Sol Overhaul Thread!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ya, poor car.. Was Meris driving it? They weren't sure when it came in.

I was surprised just a roll bar did such a good job. A-pillars didn't collapse. I guess it never really hit there though. Looked like it was end over end roll over?

Happened in turn 7 also, not sure how that happened, maybe clipped the apex too much 2 off and upset the car sending it off sideways? You can go flat out through 7 in any car and be just fine.

not sure who was driving but thats what i heard too. between turn 6 and 7 it flip flopped

That's why I haul mine to and from the track on a trailer every time. Has a winch too for when it goes "really" bad. Which someday I'm sure it will..
That's the only way to do it. Haul it to track after hours and $ of prep, have good expectations and haul broken stuff home - worse when it's a long drive to-from track.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna play seriously ya need to have contingency plans and equipment.

I learned that in my shop once - starting a a newly installed engine - had a fuel leak - didn't leak test fuel system before energizing it - fortunately, I remembered to bring fire extinguisher to vehicle and leave drivers side door open. Unfortunately, the fire extinguisher only and a 20-B rating and needed about a 60-B. Ended up putting in out with the garden hose. Took a full week to clean up wiring and hoses. Fortunately, all was recoverable and nobody hurt.

You can be sure there's a 60-B rated extingiusher at the large door now. That's something I never wanted to spend good tool buying money on - but, when you need one, you'll want a monster.

Too bad the guy tore his car up - hopefully, he didn't get hurt. Good deal you didn't - yours could have easily been much worse taking a hit from another car than his rolling wreck was.

Last edited:
omg thats sad, i guess if you cant afford to lose it then you shouldnt be out there in it.

what trailer do you run? i have to get an uber light trailer since my pilot cant tow for shite and featherlite is about the only thing i have seen light weight enough
They were already talking about looking for another shell. Motor seemed ok. Front suspension may have taken some damage.

I have a dual axle open trailer. It belongs to my friend, but I use it more than he does. It is extremely heavy, I guess around 1800lbs or so. All steel, with a place for 2 sets of tires/wheels above. It is kind of a POS trailer. Banged up, rusted, etc. lol. At least it has electronic brakes.

On my way up on Saturday night I had a tire blow out on it in the middle of F'n nowhere on 505 north of Winters. I pulled the one wheel off and drove it single axle to the track. Luckily AIM tires was open at the track and had some tires my size. I guess trailer tire blow outs are somewhat common so they stock those. Whew! :)

That's the only way to do it. Haul it to track after hours and $ of prep, have good expectations and haul broken stuff home - worse when it's a long drive to-from track.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna play seriously ya need to have contingency plans and equipment.

I learned that in my shop once - starting a a newly installed engine - had a fuel leak - didn't leak test fuel system before energizing it - fortunately, I remembered to bring fire extinguisher to vehicle and leave drivers side door open. Unfortunately, the fire extinguisher only and a 20-B rating and needed about a 60-B. Ended up putting in out with the garden hose. Took a full week to clean up wiring and hoses. Fortunately, all was recoverable and nobody hurt.

You can be sure there's a 60-B rated extingiusher at the large door now. That's something I never wanted to spend good tool buying money on - but, when you need one, you'll want a monster.

Too bad the guy tore his car up - hopefully, he didn't get hurt. Good deal you didn't - yours could have easily been much worse taking a hit from another car than his rolling wreck was.

The driver was ok (even though I'm not 100% sure who was driving, both potential drivers were there assessing the damage). Ya, I need to complete my safety equipment. I need to install a fire system, my door bars and get some window nets. Then I'll feel a lot safer.

What brand are your spherical bearings and where did you get them? Also did you only replace the rear lower arm and trailing arm bushings?

Rear Trailing Bushing was replaced with a PCI offset spherical bearing (think i got these from jhpusa)
Rear Lower Control arms are Wicked Tuning with spherical option (bought from prima-racing)
Front Lower Control arms are Hardrace bearings inside OE arms from specialprojectsms.com (kiwi on h-t).

For the rear I also have a blox camber kit and some after market toe adjuster with bearings (forget the brand).

Saturday got 2nd in TTB today I was in 1st until something happened to my tranny. I think it is the clutch, I cannot get it in gear. I had to be towed out of the hotpits. :(

Anyone want to buy a Del sol? $8k and its yours with a spare motor, spare wheels and $4k in new suspension.. :p

Ouch. Ya really going to unload the car? End the racing, or build something else?

Ouch. Ya really going to unload the car? End the racing, or build something else?
If someone offered me 8k right now, yes its gone. :p Then I would find an S2k to build. haha. I don't think I can ever stop this..

Probably messed up the transmission when the ramps slipped.

LOL, FB spreads fast... I asked my wife not to take a picture of that.. LOL..

That was after the trans quit. We tried pushing the car up onto the trailer because the winch wasn't working. So in the process of getting up, and rocking it bast the ramps they dropped. :( Funny ass picture for sure..

attachment.php

And check out my rotor too... Glad I came off track when I did..
attachment.php

Attachments

• 286294_2123446120385_1072809180_32428913_2808350_o.jpg
    286294_2123446120385_1072809180_32428913_2808350_o.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_7030.JPG
    IMG_7030.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 494
Rotor don't look pretty at all. However, the jack handle up your ass looks pretty good! ;)

LOL, that wasn't me. I'm the dude with the hat and glasses on walking away from the car.. haha.

Damn dude you have luck like me...run like 3 track events blow motor, run 2 more blow something in the transmission...yeah that's right up my luck alley.

I hope you get it handled soon.

WTF happened to the rotor? i can see stress cracks all over that thing. what pads were you running too? blues? looks like its time to get some larger brakes. :) get some dynapros in 11"

and the trans/clutch. how does the clutch pedal feel? super soft or normal? usually if its the clutch you could still get it into gear with the car off without pressing the clutch in.

glad you are safe dude. what rotors are you running?
Duralast rotors from Autozone. See more below for an explanation. :p

WTF happened to the rotor? i can see stress cracks all over that thing. what pads were you running too? blues? looks like its time to get some larger brakes. :) get some dynapros in 11"

and the trans/clutch. how does the clutch pedal feel? super soft or normal? usually if its the clutch you could still get it into gear with the car off without pressing the clutch in.

In all fairness this was the first time I replaced pads without replacing the rotors like I typically do. They looked fine when I swapped pads and clearly that was a mistake, lesson learned. And the other cracks you see are just surface cracks, those are not a big deal.

I'm running Hawk DTC-60's (love these pads). I have been considering larger brakes for some time.. This thing is an F'n money pit.

Clutch pedal feels normal. And it goes into gear fine when the car is off. My guess is clutch as well.

Last edited:
That dude in the blue RX-7.. hahaha... I was like "wow that guys car must be set up really awesome to be pulling away in the turn like that... oohh"

Back