B18a Vs B16a

What is a better engine for a 1990 CRX Si

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SleEPeR_CRX

Ya, the guy with my LS fell through, someone else got to it b4 i did. So now i need a new engine. ( if ur wondering my old LS died and needed so many new parts its not worth it to rebuild). Anyway i used to post ZC vs B18a and u picked B18a, now its the battle of Vtec vs. Displacement. tell me what u guys think is better b/c i dont know much about the b16a because i havent looked into it till now.

well it all really comes down to what you want from your car in the end. Also depends on what you will be doing with your car!

Yea we'd need to know what you want to do with it before telling you what is the better of the two.

The car will b N/A. i dont wanna waist all the money on turbo, thats y i thought of the b16a. i wanna keep it a good daily driver but with a lil power on the side:). all i plan on doing is I/H/E on either engine with racing clutch and maybe a lightened flywheel. I wont do auto-X only for an occational Trip to the 1/4 mile.

I think even for na the b18a is a better option. With some head work or a vtec head swap you are talking a serious hp gain, and you are already ahead in torque. For down the road you are going to be happier...just my opinion

B16A1 is the better,why get a lesser engine and spend that much turning it into something that you could have started with?(b18A)10ft lbs more vs (B16A1)30hp more.not to mention with the bolt ons you'll be doing better in the end with the 16.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 20 2003, 02:46 AM
i'd choose anything over the b18a =) that motor sucks. lol

hahaha thats why your starting the LS/T project again eh? :p lol

j/k

damn, forgot to give my opinion... i say going NA id start with the b16 and then later down the rod IF you want to go LS/VTEC then you can pick up an LS block for pretty damned cheap... if you wanna swap for a GSR block, bore out the b16 whatever...

starting with the b16 you will at least have the car ready after doing the swap, wired for VTEC already and all that good stuff :)

For a CRX I would go with the B16. For one the the CRX is a really light car and having the highend horse power will be nice, and there is about unlimited after market support for the B16, with little time and money your little CRX could be one hell of a street machine! Plus, VTEC kicks ass, so it would be fun to have. Unless you don't want to be like everyone else and get your power sans VTEC.

CRX IS GOOD FOR B16a OR SIR II OBD-1.

Later ON You CAN GO GSR OR TYPE R!!! :worthy:

I would definitely go B16A. I am one of the few people out there who have had both motors in cars of about equal weight. And the fact of the matter is that the B18B did not hold a candle to the B16A. Now alot of people say the B18A/B18B is better because it has 'torque'. But let's face it. The difference is miniscule (111ft-lb vs 121ft-lb or 127ft-lb). And the B16A produces close to its peak torque over a MUCH wider RPM range than the LS. Furthermore, the taller gearing of the LS transmission eats up much to all of its torque advantage. The pull is only a little stronger in first and alot weaker in fifth compared to the B16A. And since the B18A/B18B is not very rev-tolerant, a B16A transmission is NOT recommended for anything but a race-only car. Go with the B16A. Or if you really want torque, go B20.

Originally posted by StorminMatt@Jan 22 2003, 04:23 AM
.... I am one of the few people out there who have had both motors in cars of about equal weight...

... And since the B18A/B18B is not very rev-tolerant, a B16A transmission is NOT recommended for anything but a race-only car. Go with the B16A. Or if you really want torque, go B20.

There are actually quite a few people who have had both engine's in the same car.And how do you figure the b16 tranny is not recommended for anything other than a race-only car?

Originally posted by StorminMatt@Jan 21 2003, 10:23 PM
The difference is miniscule (111ft-lb vs 121ft-lb or 127ft-lb). And the B16A produces close to its peak torque over a MUCH wider RPM range than the LS.

apu.gif

Click

You really have no idea what your talking about, do you?

The peak numbers mean jack shit. The LS may have a little more peak torque than a b16 but it owns it in the lower powerband. On a similar note- the b16 sir2 has 170 peak hp, but its only occuring right at the top of the power band for a small amount of time.

Go drive a ls then drive a b16 then come back and tell me that peak numbers are the only thing that matters

Back