B18C1 in a CRX???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

what year? what trim? si?

and why would you put a three thousand dollar motor into a thousand dollar car

go with an LS
more natural power curve, only a B16 head away from vtec potential

stay up

if you dont know anything about swaps or how to do a little wiring then it will be very hard, but if you can run a few wires for the neccessary components, get the right mounts (hasport hands down) and do a little customization here and there then its a breeze.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 31 2004, 05:28 PM
what year? what trim? si?

and why would you put a three thousand dollar motor into a thousand dollar car

go with an LS
more natural power curve, only a B16 head away from vtec potential

stay up

because the GSR is a WAYYY better platform then an LS.

ok, gsr may be better, but it costs a lot more too

like i said, 3K motor, in a 1K car just don't make no fucking sense

EDIT: lets stay away from posting the obvious shall we...?!?!

Originally posted by reckedracing@Mar 31 2004, 05:38 PM
ok, gsr may be better, but it costs a lot more too

like i said, 3K motor, in a 1K car just don't make no fucking sense

EDIT: lets stay away from posting the obvious shall we...?!?!

putting a high horsepower engine in a light car doesnt make sense? so i guess if he wanted to put a type r in his CRX that wouldnt make sense either? who cares how much the car costs, its just that much more you save for the engine. but if he wants a b18c1 in his CRX then praise him for it, its a simply badass engine in a light car such as the crx. he asked how hard is it to put in a gsr, not whats the most cost efficient motor to get.

did you see me post anything about power to weight ratios???
jesus christ can you read?

as soon as the kid answers my questions regarding what trim he has and what year, then i will explain to him how hard it is or isn't to put the gsr motor in his crx...

i wasn't talking about cost effectiveness and i wasn't telling him what to do, i was just making him aware of the options, and i wanted to make sure he wasn't just having pipe dreams and about to waste 3K...

i agree that the gsr is a better platform than an LS, and i also agree that it would be a bad ass swap, and i also agree that a lot of HP in a light car is the way to go, not saying you're wrong, just stating that i DID NOT SAY that big motor in light car makes no sense, i was however saying that it is a waste to spend 3K on a motor to put in a 1K car, and then you will never get your money back out of it...

there are many more things to consider than just power to weight ratio...

why is getting yer money back always the most important part? i don't get everyone's rational about this, especially when it comes to hondas- many of us don't build hondas with the intention of selling them and making a profit, but instead build for the fun of working on the car and the benfits of added horsepower- I don't think anywhere in the original post it asks what motor is best to into a crx to make the most money out of it

god damn it man
lol

ok, i agree with all of you
he did not ask which motor is the best...
i was just stating options... my guess he is a young kid who is trying to build his car, and as such i was trying to give him pointers to make more dreams into a reality...

and i do not try and get my money back out of the car, but someone that is 16 or 17 isn't going to have the car forever and needs to consider these things especially if he's gonna go to college and that shit

i have 3 honda/acura project cars, all with motor swaps or motor swaps in the works so i know all about never being able to get your money back out of it...
i also build the cars just for fun and realize that it is not a profit making venture...
if it was i wouldn't be dumping pay check after paycheck into my hobby

i am just trying to help people make the most informed decision, why are people fighting me on this? i am trying to advise, not to hinder the learning

Who cares, if he wants to do the swap let him. He didn't ask if it was worth it, just if he could.
GET BACK ON TOPIC. This shit is getting annoying

okay lets see how to start this off........ well first off I'm 23 I don't have a CRX yet but this is what I would like to build since I think I'm going to be selling my 3000gt do to $$$ I don't care if I can get my money back from the CRX but I want a bad ass car no one will ever see coming what I would like to do is have 12 sec. 1/4 and 30mph but no one will give me input about a H22 so I guess the B18C1 is better???

i would vote for the h22 over the b18c1...

it all depends on how much money you have
the h22 is a strong motor with lots of torque, which is an issue with honda motors, but at the same time you will give up weight and handling...

the h22 rex will be much better at going in a straight line than dive bombing curves

there are more parts yes, but there are still enough out there to build a turbo H22...

you gonna rip the motor down and build for boost, or are you talking strictly external parts for turbo setup...

you will be more than happy with NA H22 power, especially with the increased torque...
you will be disappointed with GSR non vtec power, but when she hits the vtec point hold onto your pants my friend

H22 can be done, but if you are planning on doing an h22 start off with a 92+ civic, it will be easier to fit in.

it may be easier to fit, but the 2nd gen crx's look hella better than newer civic ever dreamed of looking...

but i'm just partial to the 2 door mobiles

H22 can be done, but if you are planning on doing an h22 start off with a 92+ civic, it will be easier to fit in.

He is right on the money. You can put a H22 in a crx and I thought about it but it requires a lot of cutting and hacking to make it fit and the car will be front heavy. But if the car is not your daily driver and you only want to drag race I say go for it. B18C swaps are becoming common so an H22 swap would be trick.

As for the B18C swap this is the route I chose because my car is a daily driver and I also want to try auto crossing. But this is still not an easy swap so be prepared to spend a lot of time and money to do it right. Use the gsr tranny and a hydro to cable conversion kit and convert the car to OBD-1 and use a gsr ecu.

i say buy a b16a. Its cheaper and you could get one that's cable. If you get the b18c1 you will have to get a hydro to cable conversion. the b16a or b16a2 is the way to go unless you want the torque of a bigger displacement engine. The money you save could go into modifying the engine. Parts r alot cheaper for the b16a

Originally posted by B18Civic95@Apr 7 2004, 04:30 PM
i say buy a b16a. Its cheaper and you could get one that's cable. If you get the b18c1 you will have to get a hydro to cable conversion. the b16a or b16a2 is the way to go unless you want the torque of a bigger displacement engine. The money you save could go into modifying the engine. Parts r alot cheaper for the b16a

i agree putting a b16 would be a better choice, buts thats just my opinion.

think about what you want outta it long term, if your talking about 12's then you got a lot of thinking to do.... do you wanna go N/A, if so go with the gsr, they have more potiental for making bigger N/A power. if you wanna go boost the b16 will work just fine..... with the right set up and the right tunnin you could hit 12's all day and be daily drivin.

i would personally stay away from the h22, not unless you want a huge headache....

just my opinions though, some of you may have different ones

Back