B18c1 Or B18c5?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tweezy27

WHAT UP SWAP.I HAVE A 95 CIVIC DX..WHAT ENGINE SHOULD I SWAP FOR ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE..B18C1 OR B18C5..WHAT IZ THE BEST SWAP PERIOD..THANX.

please loose the caps. its very annoying.

for all around performance, like daily driving, i would go with the GSR
for serious competition and auto cross and sanctioned racing, i would go with the ITR

if you have a fat wallet and want a very fast street car, and don't care about gas mileage, get the ITR.
but, its a harder swap, since its obd2. and you can pick up an obd1 gsr which will make it much easier.

You could get the GSR engine, but definitely get the type R Tranny...that way you get the LSD and better gearing but your engine is still OBD1. B) You can aways get the GSR engine (170HP) up to Type R specs (195HP) with aftermerket or OEM Type R parts. :)

Originally posted by luVTEC@Mar 12 2003, 12:09 AM
You could get the GSR engine, but definitely get the type R Tranny...that way you get the LSD and better gearing but your engine is still OBD1. B) You can aways get the GSR engine (170HP) up to Type R specs (195HP) with aftermerket or OEM Type R parts. :)

That's very do-able. You can convert your GSR into a home-made R-spec. Just make sure you get JDM ITR internals though.

good lookin out everybody on the advice,how hard iz it to switch from a obd1 to a obd2 :eek: why
wouldnt yall recommend the itr for daily driving??

i have an ITR engine in my car right now... its drivable once you learn how to drive it (it pulls hard at pretty much any time ... this takes some getting use to if you curently are driving a D series)
in a light car its an ASS LOAD OF POWER
things that make it not good for a "daily driver"
- fuel economy SUCKS
- it can be a little hard to get use to it at first
- if you break something it will be expensive
- it can easily get you in trouble (10 min into my first time out with it i had to run from a cop for speeding :D )

and to "make your car a home made type R", will probly cost you as much or more than just buying the ITR engine in the first place would
GSR engine ~ 3000
ITR tranny ~ 1200
ITR pistons w/ rings ~ 300
skunk2 intake manifold (its a copy of the ITR IM, and the real ITR IM wont work) ~ 300
port and polish ~ 500

these are pretty low estimates for the most part and this still puts you at 5300 + shipping
you can get an ITR engine for around 4800 or so depending on where you get it

if you have the money to do it id say get the ITR engine and start there
contrary to popular belief the ITR engine is not the end point.... you can still do all the mods to it

Hmm. My B20/VTEC made more power than a B18C5, and it didn't take much time to get used to it... and it's still nowhere near enough power. I was getting 25mpg in the city and 30mpg on the highway, and that wasn't with "nice" driving either.

Hey guys, i just joined and already im finding some really useful info. i currently have a 95 Civic Hatchback Si. and im looking to acquire a b18c5 from JDMHONDAPARTS.COM. however from what E_SolSi said, if i can get my hands on a JDM ITR at around 4800 then it would leave me with a cool 1,000 USD to play with. where can i get a b18c5 for 4800 from and with the extra thou, what would be the best way to put it into the internals? thanks for the help guys. ;)

hmotorsonline has them for $4800
the extra 1000 will cover all the small shit that you need to have to put the engine into the car with maybe a little left over for beer

please start your own thread next time

Back