B18C5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Would anyone know a turbo charger kit, or turbo charger pieces that would work with a B18C5, fuel management for the turbo, and levels of boost it can handle?

Well, i'm going to talk like you're a newbie.

Any type of forced induction is better off on lower comp pistons. c5 has high compression pistons. You would have to stick new pistons on it before you stick anything more then about 6psi on a 15g (example only). You would also have to get new cams, b/c the itr cams are n/a cams. The tranny is also for n/a, it has shorter gears, not the best for boost. It is also VTEC. Read pissedoffsol's post around here somewhere. He lists a GSR/t and LS/t. How the GSR put down more power on the dyno, but ran slower in the 1/4 mile.

For the money of an itr, you could have gotten an LS and started your way to boosting.

If you spend the 5k or so for an itr, you will be selling. The header, tranny, cams, and pistons.

Get an LS swap for 1200-1500 and have everything you need, then you can decide, rebuild the internals for more boost, or boost stock. Either way, you should beat a n/a itr.

I turbocharged a stock ITR motor in a civic.. The results were incredible. The car made 284whp @8700 rpms and made good power to 9200rpms. The car retained stock compression ratio at 11.1:1, the only thing done to the engine was a block guard and ARP head studs.

The car has fantastic off throttle response, very crisp. Thats something you wont find with a low compression ratio motor.

jason

edit: I have pics but I suck at the intarweb

boosting an itr motor totaly defeats its purpose, its a high revving high comp motor. why would you boost it? save yourself some money and boost an ls or a gsr with the money you saved in motor prices you can add to your build.

Originally posted by st00pid@Dec 30 2002, 01:07 AM
I turbocharged a stock ITR motor in a civic.. The results were incredible.

it can and has been done. Don't get me wrong. But in my opinion, its the wrong way to go.
shit, look at tempest racing's ITR turbo... the thing is bad ass.
http://tempestracing.com/picturepages/typerpics.htm

once again, what it comes down to is: tuning.
the more compression you have, the harder it is to tune, but the better results will come. if you have a tuner who KNOWS whats up, and can do this, by all means spend the money.

and st00pid is one hell of a tuner :)

but for the average guy who is not from texas and can't have jason tune their car for them, or doesn't have the extra 4000 to spend over an LS, i think its a big boom theory waiting to happen.

Originally posted by st00pid@Dec 30 2002, 12:07 AM
I turbocharged a stock ITR motor in a civic.. The results were incredible. The car made 284whp @8700 rpms and made good power to 9200rpms. The car retained stock compression ratio at 11.1:1, the only thing done to the engine was a block guard and ARP head studs.

The car has fantastic off throttle response, very crisp. Thats something you wont find with a low compression ratio motor.

jason

edit: I have pics but I suck at the intarweb

Hey Jason

I see you all over H-I/ICCH... I'm glad you finally found your way here!

Back