b20 go or no go

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b20 inspired

i have a 2000 honda civic si. the car is in really good shape and only has 38000 miles on it. i also have a complete b20 motor. i was thinking about doing a b20 vtec build but is it worth it. would it be better to just sell the motor and build up my b16 or go with the b20 set up. if i did do the b20 set up all it would have is pistions, maybe rods, rod bolts, main bolts and head studs. the head would be stock and just have the basic bolts on like header trottle body intake, etc. i plan on either spraying or boosting either one. i heard the sleeves in the b20 were really weak and i should have a sleeve job done if i want to spray or boost it. is this true. i have heard so many differnt things and i just need some help. any help would be great.

It's up to you. You can't argue with more displacement.

On the otherhand, you already have a good B series platform to start with. As Calesta asked me once when I was thinking of an LS/VTEC swap... what's the point of swapping a B16 out of the Si? You just took away damn near the only reason it is an Si in the first place.

I say do it. But make sure you do it right the first time. If you plan to make any power, sleeve the block. I mean unless you have the cash to get it tuned perfectly for every degree of weather.

the weakest link for B20's are the sleeves. Its just that simple.

thanks for r help. i think ill sell the b20 and keep the b16 the car is just to nice to be yanking the motor out of. i know u cant beat displacement but i could also force more air in. what would be the best way to tune it. right how all i have is a vtec controller and all i have done is changed the vtec havent messing with fuel or anything i want to make atleast 300 at the wheels. ill be happy with that. how much can i spray on my stock bottom end. i have heard of people spraying 125 but it didnt last long. im new to the import seen. so thanks for any help

The stock bottom end and stock fuel injectors will hold a 55 shot (or so I've been told when asking).

The best way to tune it is on a dyno with your vafc.

I'd stick with the b16.. It is a great, solid platform. Throw a couple of cams on it, intake/header/exhaust Tuning, etc... It could be a great little motor.

fuck that. b16's suck in that car. swap the b20 block in, it'll put some pep in that car.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 27 2005, 11:29 PM
fuck that. b16's suck in that car. swap the b20 block in, it'll put some pep in that car.
[post=546212]Quoted post[/post]​

per your own title... Don't Hate. Appreciate.

:)

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Aug 28 2005, 12:29 AM

a b16 will not make 300whp. im sure its been done; but for a price tag. even doing the swap with stock b20 block should add more power (most likely, at 4:30 im not thinking for you). just sleeve it and add new pistons, because you already have the 84mm.

if you have a b20b, just use it; if it sucks, you can still sell it.

i was reading in the new hci mag and they were spraying 75 with a wet kit with stock injectors and everything. i know of a lot of b16 maybe 300 horsepower. also the vortech supercharged system almost gives it that. but all the basic bolts on and it should be right at it. i dont know i would like to do the swap just because where i live its not that common. how much does a b20 usaully sell for the motor i have has around 100 000 miles on it what is it worth.

Originally posted by b20 inspired@Aug 28 2005, 08:34 AM
i was reading in the new hci mag and they were spraying 75 with a wet kit with stock injectors and everything. i know of a lot of b16 maybe 300 horsepower. also the vortech supercharged system almost gives it that. but all the basic bolts on and it should be right at it. i dont know i would like to do the swap just because where i live its not that common. how much does a b20 usaully sell for the motor i have has around 100 000 miles on it what is it worth.
[post=546277]Quoted post[/post]​

500 at best

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy+Aug 28 2005, 03:45 AM-->
kylemarhx
@Aug 28 2005, 12:29 AM

a b16 will not make 300whp. im sure its been done; but for a price tag. even doing the swap with stock b20 block should add more power (most likely, at 4:30 im not thinking for you). just sleeve it and add new pistons, because you already have the 84mm.

if you have a b20b, just use it; if it sucks, you can still sell it.
[post=546263]Quoted post[/post]​

yes, they will.

Originally posted by sLuShBoXtEgGy@Aug 28 2005, 03:45 AM
a b16 will not make 300whp. im sure its been done; but for a price tag.
[post=546263]Quoted post[/post]​

It won't... but it will. :blink: Now, I'm confused.

Which is it? I'm sure b20, as well as everyone else here, knows that modifying any engine is expensive. So everything is going to come with a price. Personally if you're going to do a swap get at the most an EX and swap that. Otherwise there's no reason to swap a car with a limited production run IMO.

Yes, I know this is Hondaswap. But not all cars need a swap to be fast as shit.

well i hope some of u are happy today i torn down the motor and its in real good shape all i really need to do is re-reing it its in really great shape sooo im goin to build it is the stock crank and rods and good in then motors. i know im goin to put pistons in it but what about the rest im not goin to sleeve it if it breaks then ill just put my b16 in and then rebuild the b20 but while my b20 is in the b16 will get a few new goodies. i want to put the car in the 12s so what the heck ill get it one way or another let me know on the crank and rods though also i want to get the compression to about 10 to 1 what pistons will get me that what is the cc on my head like 42.7 or something im trying to figure out what pistons to order.

well from talking to a friend of mine that build high end engines (usually bottom up, no rebuilds) he said that the stroker kit from crower for the B20 is pretty amazing. If you really tune it right with new rods pistons and crank it is really suprising. He told me maybe 600whp w/ nitrous and turbo before you finally reach the end of the limits with motor.

Only reason i even asked about it is because he did a b20 swap into a 3rd gen lude, and ya know I gotta stick with the lude to the end.

Back