Back Pressure............

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoadRage

Is it good to have a little back pressure in the exhust system of a NA engine. I know with turbo you don't want back pressure so the turbo can spool faster, but what about NA. Pro's and Con's anyone? ;)

Back pressure = bad. The back pressure myth is BS. It is all about exit velocity. You want the exhaust gasses to exit the cylinder as fast as possible to create a vaccuum.

i wouldn't go so far as to say its a "myth." yes, a more freeflowing header and exhaust is great, but why doesn't every aftermarket exhaust come in 3 inch trim diameter. its because too much flow can change the combustion cycle by creating too much flow. this will lead to reduced power in lower rpm's.

as is the case with most applications, a compromise is best. stock exhausts are designed for the consumer wanting a quiet, yet efficient design that serves its purpose well.

Why would they float at 0 back pressure? That doesn't make any physical sense. Technically 0 back pressure is not possible, there will always be some resistance to the flow or gases out of your engine.

:werd: unless you were running your car in a vaccum there would be some kind of resistance just from the ambient air pressure

and speaking of "back pressure"... damn B 2 years!!! thats gotta suck

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Oct 17 2002, 11:04 AM
:werd: unless you were running your car in a vaccum there would be some kind of resistance just from the ambient air pressure

and speaking of "back pressure"... damn B 2 years!!! thats gotta suck

i wouldn't know what sucking is like anymore either

lol

We need to start a get Brian laid fund.

lmao! Dont go to Reno to get a hooker! I tried this past weekend for my brother inlaw and it was $500. Better off renting a video B.

Back