Big Problem!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16RacerN2NR

Working Hard
VIP
ok first off, the car is a 94 Galant. it has the 2.4 DOHC motor. my problem started when one day my rpm's dropped dramactiacally while i was driving. if i was going 70mph at 3k rpm, the idle would go down to like 1300rpm and i would get a check engine light. so if i keep driving, it'll go away and the car will run normal again anywhere from 2 minutes to as long as an hour. i checked to see if i was getting spark and cylinders 2 and 3 weren't getting spark from the coil pack. so i changed that coil pack out and now the problem only occurs half the time as much as it did. so my guess is i only fixed half the problem. i have yet to look at my plugs and the wires are in great condition but they are ok. would a fouled plug cause this? any help or any ideas would be great. if there's any info that you need to help me, just ask, thanks.

hmm...not sure.

I would do all the routine maintenance that needs to be done and that was possibly ignored.

on a side note......I feel the problem is the diamond star itself, very unreliable

if its ne thing like gm coilpacks it might have taken the wires w/ it when it went bad,

check the plugs too

Originally posted by whiteLS@Mar 16 2004, 11:45 PM
if its ne thing like gm coilpacks it might have taken the wires w/ it when it went bad,

check the plugs too

thanks for the replies, yeah i know DSM scks but i only use the car to commute 120 miles a day to work. it's been pretty reliable thus far. i'll check the wires and the plugs as soon as i get off work at 4:30 in the morning. anyone else have a thought?

Originally posted by JDMilan@Mar 16 2004, 10:57 PM

on a side note......I feel the problem is the diamond star itself, very unreliable

i agree. the galant is considered a DSM.

ocasionally, the 1.8L mirages have this problem. most change the plug wires AND the coil packs at the same time.

you may want to sign up on a galant board.

Originally posted by TurboMirage+Mar 17 2004, 11:27 PM-->
@Mar 16 2004, 10:57 PM

i agree. the galant is considered a DSM.

ocasionally, the 1.8L mirages have this problem. most change the plug wires AND the coil packs at the same time.

you may want to sign up on a galant board.

yeah when i checked for spark only one coil pack was out. i would of changed both but each one is like $80! i got the plugs already, i have yet to change the wires. also, i noticed that if i use cheap gas (arco) the problems occurs like 5 times more often. If i use chevron, the car will drive for a longer period of time. now, this has only happened once so maybe it's just a coincidence but do you guys think some fuel plays a role as well? or does the problem sound more like a spark issue?

Good Fuel + Good Spark = Good combustion
Good Fuel + Bad Spark = Not so good combustion
Bad Fuel + Bad Spark = Little to no combustion
Any Fuel + No Spark = Absolutley no combustion

^Just my theory.

Originally posted by MugenCRX@Mar 18 2004, 12:24 AM
Good Fuel + Good Spark = Good combustion
Good Fuel + Bad Spark = Not so good combustion
Bad Fuel + Bad Spark = Little to no combustion
Any Fuel + No Spark = Absolutley no combustion

^Just my theory.

yeah...#3 kicked my ass for a week

you could change your fuel filters...

but its an electrical problem.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Mar 19 2004, 12:36 AM
you could change your fuel filters...

but its an electrical problem.

yeah, this weekend i'm gonna put the new plugs and wires on andi'm gonna dump some fuel system cleaner in the tank...wish me luck everyone :( :blink:

Back