black box on the back of LS block?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok guys ill give you the run down.....i was goin about 110mph last night, and shifted into 5th gear... as i do this the RPMS start to drop, the car stoped making power....... i got off the highway and the car shut off..... by the way it was bellowing out smoke from under the hood....

this morning i go out to check out the car... i found that the little black box that sits on the rears of the engine (closer to the passanger side)(between the starter and the oil filter)(covered in a squishy black cover) that was the cause of the smoke.... there is one 3 inch hose connected to it that goes to the back of the block.. and a hole that seems it should have a hose connenected to it, but i dont see any loose hoses that would connect it it....

This car is a 91 hatch... LS worked...

my questions are, do any of you guys have any pix of this, any experience with this thing, or know what is supose to connect to this

does it usually have a hole with no hose connected to it...... or is there something supose to be connected to it

That is the crankcase breather. It is there to keep pressure building up in the block, and has nothing to do with moisture (?). At any rate, the top of the black box has 2 fittings, one goes back into the block and the other goes to the PCV valve and on to the IM after that.

:werd:

The PCV valve is a plastic part that has a 90 degree turn and is located between two of the runners on the intake manifold.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Mar 26 2005, 07:44 PM
That is the crankcase breather. It is there to keep pressure building up in the block, and has nothing to do with moisture (?). At any rate, the top of the black box has 2 fittings, one goes back into the block and the other goes to the PCV valve and on to the IM after that.
[post=479107]Quoted post[/post]​

Just going by what I was told.

Back