Bought a CR-V

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wow missed this one too. I want a CR-V, but to do really bad things to it. 99-01 EX manual is what I want, rear end damage ok. :D

Links to the original ceramic coat you used?

Wow missed this one too. I want a CR-V, but to do really bad things to it. 99-01 EX manual is what I want, rear end damage ok. :D

Links to the original ceramic coat you used?
Here's what I got:
mr fix 9h | eBay

The car is literally just a utility vehicle. It's not fun, it's not particularly cushy, it's just a vehicle. If it gets hit, I'll build an AWD 6th gen civic. :D

Update:
I bought a set of Honda Rescue Garage's 1" rear spacers, and got them all installed.

1592590846085.png

1592590892989.png

It leveled out the rear end very nicely, and while doing this, I discovered that the rear left shock was shot, so had to replace that completely, but only after successfully extracting a lower control arm bolt...

I was super proud of myself for this one:
1592591042184.png

Until this happened:

That was a super big let down... So, ordered a new set of shocks/springs/tophats, only to have one arrive three days before the other, heh. But, here we are, it's a 21 year old car.

The replacement A/C belt I put on after getting the car started to stretch as the weather got warmer, so it was making a heck of a racket. It moved about 1.25" when lightly pressing on it. I'm surprised it didn't completely destroy the belt.

After taking the grille off (because first-gen CR-V problems) to access the tensioner screw, it was quick and easy.

Not surprisingly, A/C performance increased afterwards.

How much sag is there in the rear with that on the hitch? I saw you refreshed the suspension.

I put a 1.5" lift in the rear suspension, and surprisingly there's not much difference in the ride height, it's back where it was with the "saggy butt" problem when the rear suspension degrades. I never re-adjusted the headlights after the suspension, so it should be fine. Lol.

I'll have to go back through pictures and look at the headlight bubble levels from before the suspension, after suspension, and now with the bike on it.

1593712552856.png

1593712573521.png

1593712605801.png

1593712589854.png

It ought to help for those trips where I don't want to take a trailer, but want to take the toy.

Nah, we're going on vacation really late in the season this year. I just wanted to get this all tested before then. Seemed like a good idea to figure out how to get it on, get the straps cut, test everything, etc. before it was too late to get any parts.

Nice that the CRV has such high tail lights.
Still pretty clearly visibile even with the bike on there.

Remember that issue where I had a leak on the floor after going through an automatic car wash?

I figured it out. A blue shop towel and a white paper towel got sucked into the blower fan on the cr-v last week, then again over the weekend. I don't use white paper towels in the shop, or cleaning cars, so I know it didn't come from me, but it makes sense why each time it happened after opening up the "outside air" instead of the "recirculate" mode.

Apparently there were some paper towels left in the cowl, which had been removed before, and surprise, they got sucked in.

I should have pulled the cowl then, would have saved me a really hot drive.

You mentioned replacing the A/C belt because the compressor was making a racket, can you elaborate on this?
I actually sold my CRV because (one of the reasons) the AC compressor was chirping.
Now my Rav4 has 25k miles and the AC compressor seems awful noisy for a new car, wondering if this is the noise you were talking about?

I finally did the front stabilizer bar endlinks... It was as much knuckle busting as I expected. I was smart and did it in my wife's garage, which is air conditioned, and made everything a lot more tolerable.

I'd been soaking them in PBlaster and liquid wrench penetrating oils for a couple weeks now, so while the balls spun, it wasn't too bad.

IMG_20200801_210158.jpg
IMG_20200801_211746.jpg
IMG_20200801_213739.jpg

I had to grind flats on two ends to let the vice grips bite enough to crank it off with a ratcheting open end wrench.

Now I don't have any clunks, pops, bangs, thumps, or other annoying sounds when driving around. All is well with the world.

Oh, and I found a magnetic bolt tray I somehow left in the engine bay too. :p

Back