Bov

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

H22CX

if you are really turbo savvy then please, dont laugh. i just read the article on how a wastegate works and i feel i understood it pretty well. my question is, if the wastegate is doing its job, what is the point of a blowoff valve? from what i understand, it also dumps boost (and makes a cool noise in between shifts!). can anyone explain this to me?

the only job of a BOV is to protect your turbo.

basically, when you let off the gas, the TB closes. the air has no where to go, but back to the turbo. that negative air flow causes damage to the turbo- so what do we do, we put a BOV on to release the excess pressure.

note, a BOV is NOT required for a turbo to run. however, it is highly recommeneded.

s3e88028b379cc.jpg

someone let me know when bubb rubb is getting a bit worn and tired.....

:lol:
and i thought sisteve was king of the Woo. i think you took over man. haha

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 31 2003, 02:19 AM
the only job of a BOV is to protect your turbo.

basically, when you let off the gas, the TB closes. the air has no where to go, but back to the turbo. that negative air flow causes damage to the turbo- so what do we do, we put a BOV on to release the excess pressure.

note, a BOV is NOT required for a turbo to run. however, it is highly recommeneded.

:withstupid: :werd:

i couldnt have said it any better B)

And also, a Wastegate controls boost by dumping exhause before it reached the turbo, so the turbo doesn't have so much pressure behind it, forcing it to spin faster and make MORE boost.

The BOV, as B said is just to release excess boost pressure in the charge pipes so that the turbo doesn't surge.

Here's an easy way to remember it:

Wastegate dumps exhaust pressure from the manifold before the turbo.
BOV dumps boost pressure from the charge pipes after the turbo.

Back