building a drag car

b18b

i just got a civic hatch shell...i was wondering what yall would do motor wise if u had a car thats just gonna be drag car...trailer queen in other words...im prolly gonna go LS turbo

E_SolSi

Member of the 20 nut club
VIP
:werd: for drag you cant beat an H22A with a turbo... build the shit outta it and boost that f00ker

Domeskilla

:withstupid: H22A booooooooooooooooosted like a fucker, BUT i would add N2O since your only going to use it for drag, but i dont know how good that would be.

DjMcPhatty

i heard that h22s weren't as good for high boost cause of of thin walls or something, maybe I am just stupid but thats what i heard somewhere.

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
h23 bottom end bored to an h25
resleeved
h22 head, port matched for an h25 bottom end.
t88 turbo...

yeah- make it look like this...

b18b

well i already have a built JG head for a LS for the drag car....(i somehow ended up buying to JG heads..dont ask) i should just take the h22 out ov my prelude and put it in the drag car lol

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
sounds good-- ls with some mods will pull a lude... its got the torque :)

now sleeve that h22 into a monster :)

b18b

i was wondering on some turbo sizes...like say...how much boost a t3/4 or t04 or what size wuold i need if i wanted to boost about 20 PSI if not more i was thinkin that a t04 would be nice turbo for the motor ...what do yall think...i know too big ov a turbo can hurt cant it

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
Originally posted by b18b@Nov 4 2002, 05:00 PM
i was wondering on some turbo sizes...like say...how much boost a t3/4 or t04 or what size wuold i need if i wanted to boost about 20 PSI if not more i was thinkin that a t04 would be nice turbo for the motor ...what do yall think...i know too big ov a turbo can hurt cant it

20 psi means nothing dude...

20 psi off a t-.0000000001 will make 2 hp
20 psi off a t3412412334 will make 2312312312312323123123 hp.

see the point?

YangpaNemsay

With your civic hatch shell, is it the lightest one you could acquire? it's good to do some research on getting a lightweight chassis to start out with, and aerodynamics would also play a key role in building a drag car.

djextremity

No, you don't understand what he is saying. Pressure and volume are two TOTALLY different things here. A turbo that small CAN push 20 psi, because that is ONLY THE PRESSURE of the volume of air. It may not push a large amount of CFMs, but it sure as hell could push a lot of pressure. Pressure doesn't depend on the turbo, but on the (?)wastegate(?). (This is all "I think" stuff, but I'm pretty sure I think right..)

posol

RETIRED
Staff member
read the turbo section- i added a few new articles alst night... one of them deals with air mass vs air volume

b18b

ok lol well i dont have to think about turbo anymore cause i decided to go all motor like i originally wanted to....now whats opinions on that...im thinkin b20/vtec what do yall think

b18b

and its a cx hatch...im prolly just gonna start stripping stuff off ....working on body/suspension first and then motor will be the last thing