Capital F to Modesto Mazda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All of the dealerships here that I do payroll for (about 3 of them) give baseline salaries of 1500/month plus commissions. This is for an entry-level salesperson, with little or no training. Of course, minimum wage up here is 7.05/hr right now, going up to 7.25/hr in January...

When I sold cars, I always lived there and worked many hours over my regular hours. Why? Because I had to always be there for my potential customers. If I had first contact with them by phone or on the floor, I was immediately entitled to half the commission if they bought a car from our dealership. Selling the car was the other half. So therefore, I didn't want another salesperson closing my customers should they return to buy on another day. As to your manager getting $5K a month, well he has put in his dues and worked his way up from the salesman level. In most businesses, the manager always makes a lot more than the people he manages. That's just life.

Car sales is hard ugly work. And it's the only job that I've ever had where my dad told me to get out of it immediately. And he never disparaged my waitressing jobs or the one at the bike factory. lol. However, the good thing is that years later, I still get my employee discount from the parts manager. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 8 2004, 11:12 AM
are you in a city, re the 1500 a month

and damn, 7 bucks for minimum wage... what state is that?
[post=428487]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah. Probably not as big as Modesto, but about ~25000 people. We still have 8 or 10 car lots though, not counting the used lots.

I live in Coos County, Oregon. We have the highest unemployment rate in the state, and Oregon has one of the highest unemployment rates in the contiguous 48 states. Both the state and the county are over 7%.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 8 2004, 11:42 AM
too many people hittin the good ole oregon sticky icky...
[post=428520]Quoted post[/post]​

...what?

managers will always make more money than the salesmen. while it may look like he does nothing, there is A LOT that goes on behind closed doors. i think that you are just getting your panties in a twist over something that could be resolved by just talking to them...

No no, I watch what this guy does for every deal. He takes the four-square and credit app to the GSM's desk... brings back the results to the customer, tells the customer that's our final offer, and that's it. He does NOTHING that the salesman couldn't do himself. He doesn't work the numbers, he doesn't go in with the customers to the finance office, nothing. Nada. Zilch. Nothing he does couldn't be done by a trained monkey (and I'm not exhagerating)

No no, I watch what this guy does for every deal. He takes the four-square and credit app to the GSM's desk... brings back the results to the customer, tells the customer that's our final offer, and that's it. He does NOTHING that the salesman couldn't do himself. He doesn't work the numbers, he doesn't go in with the customers to the finance office, nothing. Nada. Zilch. Nothing he does couldn't be done by a trained monkey (and I'm not exhagerating)

but who's job or ass is on the line if quotas aren't met?

What is his work history with the dealership? The bottomline is that he gets those $5K checks only as long as he produces the minimum sales numbers for the dealership. He also must work long hours also. He may be a monkey to you , but he is the head monkey of the rest of you sales monkeys. I never cared for my second head manager, but he had a lot of pressures on him to produce his numbers every month. He was the one that had to make the tough decisions as to what price to sell the cars at, to accept the lowball offers or turn them down. Their job is not that cushy a deal.

There is no quota, no minimum sales requirements whatsoeevr at that dealership. He gets 8% of gross profit + warranty and fees, etc. From every sale one of his team salespeople makes. He made more money off the 2.5 cars I sold than I did.

Plus he's POLISH!
*edit: And he has no say in price or anything. The GSM makes the decision and tells this guy what to tell the customer. If this dude was making any decisions for the dealership, I would have probably been out of those deals I made.

I can also understand why a salesman (a SALESMAN *Geddy Lee*) makes so little, because what do WE do? We're the pretty face and words that gets the person to actually come in and buy the car, we do nothing else. We're the bait on the hook, the pretty skirt the hooker wears, the... well, you get my point. Salesman = Neon sign.

There is no quota, no minimum sales requirements whatsoeevr at that dealership.

this may not be privy for you to know, especially as someone only there 3 weeks?

most if not all businesses have some sort of goals....

edit: and even if there is no stated quota, i can think of one definate one... sales must exceed expenses in order for him to keep his job, that simple, well unless its the airline industry that gets bailed out all the damn time cause they SUCK

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord@Dec 8 2004, 02:29 PM
There is no quota, no minimum sales requirements whatsoeevr at that dealership. He gets 8% of gross profit + warranty and fees, etc. From every sale one of his team salespeople makes. He made more money off the 2.5 cars I sold than I did.

Plus he's POLISH!
[post=428593]Quoted post[/post]​

So what's with this anti-Polish crap that you keep bringing up? Are you trying to bring some funny into this?

Well look, if you really think that you have a talent for car sales, but that it was only your manager's fault that you (had to) quit, just fucking find another sales job at another dealership and stop whining about this one. They are ALWAYS hiring due to the high turnover rate among their salestaff.

Yes on the funny. And I suck at selling cars. I'm going to go into the whole waiter/host scene...

On the waitering thing... I would recommend finding a Marriott Hotel and calling up their banquet/catering department. They will train you and provide you with a jacket. All you need is a white tux shirt, a bowtie, black pants and black shoes. You will serve large groups of people in a team manner. It's easy work and they pay hourly. If you get good at it, then you can either work for big money at a hotel that pays out gratuity or find a fine dining restaurant.

Or valet work is also very lucrative....

No way in hell will I accept a busboy job. I'm applying for a waiter or host position at Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Marie Callendar's, etc. Anyways... yeah... picking up my final check from Mazda Friday. If it's less than 5 bills, imo be peeeeeeest.

Back