computer needs an overhaul

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Firewall software is no good, you should have a hardware firewall (router) because it prevents unwanted traffic from even touching your computer and causing it to process data. Also a router is harder to get past than software. You can get a wired one from TrendNET on newegg for 15 bucks.

AVG is fine in my opinion. For spyware I would go with SpyBot. SpyBot also has the temporary files cleaner.

For an external you can't go wrong with a Western Digital Black 1TB and a cheap external enclosure but it would be a little more than 130 bucks. The WD 1TB HD is 120 at newegg but out of stock right now.

i have a wired Linksys router already and i dont need the HD anymore.. George is hookin me up.. lol

Sweet. Well if you have a linksys router, it does what's called NAT, Network Address Translation, and PAT, Port Address Translation. When you request a webpage, the router knows the internal network requested the data so it lets the response pass back in. If traffic that wasn't requested by the internal network comes to the router on the outside, the router will deny it from going further and passing into the internal network, unless a rule is set in the router.

Summery: You don't need a software firewall.

i think a software firewall is good for redundancy to catch stuff that hardware doesnt see, especially when torrenting. example, i was dling some anime and some butt fu*k from china tried sending a packet sniffer with the torrents and norton caught it and blocked it from getting in.

as for having a linksys, the stock firmware sucks. if you have some of the older versions v1-v4 you can run alot of 3rd party firmware. the new ones might be able to run dd-wrt micro depending on version. they have a lot more features and more stable epsecially with heavy usage.

I would definately use Norton for your antivirus/firewall. I've been using it for years and never had any problems. Also you might want to try to find via torrents a copy of norton ghost. It's a simple program to use. Basically you install windows/your favorite OS, set up antivirus/your most used programs, copy the ghost files onto a floppy or make a bottable cd and restart your computer with it. It makes an exact image of your hard drive and it can save it onto cds/dvds or on a second hard drive. I use it a lot because if i want to reformat i use the image and I don't have to go searching for drivers and waiting hours for windows updates to download sp1 sp2 and sp3.

<p>
I would definately use Norton for your antivirus/firewall. I've been using it for years and never had any problems. Also you might want to try to find via torrents a copy of norton ghost. It's a simple program to use. Basically you install windows/your favorite OS, set up antivirus/your most used programs, copy the ghost files onto a floppy or make a bottable cd and restart your computer with it. It makes an exact image of your hard drive and it can save it onto cds/dvds or on a second hard drive. I use it a lot because if i want to reformat i use the image and I don't have to go searching for drivers and waiting hours for windows updates to download sp1 sp2 and sp3.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Lol Norton is the worst. And that belief is held thruout the internet.

Instead of torrenting ghost, use PING (Part Image Not Ghost), a free open source backup utility that can image hard drives and supports usb hard drives better.

Norton is ok... but it's REALLY slow and eats a TON of resources.

Windows 7 FTW

yes norton WAS a resource hog and a piece of shit. but they put a new team together and their 2009 releases are really good. i was using nod32 up until i gave symantec 2009 suite and its been very fast.

windows 7 is what vista shouldve been. never the less, im still pretty excited about it.

im still impressed with vista.

i think my only complaint about it so far was no telnet client.

Say what you want about Norton but they have come a long way. Besides the reason it was a resource hog is because it was constantly scanning everything that was going on on your computer which is why it stoped more stuff from happening.

Like I said norton has been good to me where others have failed...miserably.

Edit:
Nevermind

Last edited:
And Norton has failed me miserably on every encounter I've ever had with the program. The new version of 2009 comes pre-installed on most Asus netbook PCs, and let me tell you it still slows your computer down more than most viruses!

I'm a computer professional, I deal with new and different computers every day, and just from my wide experience out there I'm highly recommending not using Norton (or Macafee for that matter).

Use process explorer and know what's running on your machine. Read prompts so you don't open anything you don't want to open and be safe.

Use Virtual PC as a test environment for downloaded applications (hacked).

already have process explorer, hijack this and some others.. i was using those trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer a little bit ago..

ive built and dealt with computers for about a decade now and calesta (mike) has been around even longer. so dont bring that to the table. regardless, everyone has their own opinion and flvaors so eg just try the recommended ones noted and pick your favorite. if you want an indepth discussion of security software go here:
AnandTech - AntiVirus Detection Rate Thread

turbo, i would give 2009 a try because 360 was built by the old team. i suggest this one:
Spyware Protection - Anti Virus Software | Norton Internet Security

yea.. i'm gonna try out the ones you listed earlier.. gotta get the HD first though so i can reformat windows

i
turbo, i would give 2009 a try because 360 was built by the old team. i suggest this one:

free dude... ;) i dont plan on upgrading unless to 2009 unless they offer it for free to me with a machine i purchase.

we run corporate AVG so regardless ill be secure one way or the other. i dont often visit horrible websites on this machine and i have a torrent machine at home that would take the brunt of any real attack.

ive built and dealt with computers for about a decade now and calesta (mike) has been around even longer. so dont bring that to the table. regardless, everyone has their own opinion and flvaors so eg just try the recommended ones noted and pick your favorite. if you want an indepth discussion of security software go here:
AnandTech - AntiVirus Detection Rate Thread

I've been building on them for about 20 years now... maybe more. Can't remember. Getting old. :D

I actually run AVG on most of my new installs, and don't run anything at all on my main computer. It's fine. :)

Back