Cooling Fans.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeislord

Funny thing happened during my H22 swap. I started the car before wiring VTEC and my radiator fan would come on when I turned the engine off like it is supposed to. After I wired in VTEC, my radiator fans dont seem to ever come on. This really hasnt been a problem so far because the H22 keeps itself pretty damn cool, but regardless. I don't understand how this could happen. The only possibility is that the one wire that seemed to be left out, a WHT/GRN is the cause of this. Anyone have this problem during their swap. The radiator is a year old so I doubt its that. Any ideas?

ya know...mine did the same thing. But then i found that the exhaust manifold burned through my wiring. So now i have a switch next to the shifter that controls the radiator fans. Ghetto, huh?

Quoted post[/post]]
ya know...mine did the same thing. But then i found that the exhaust manifold burned through my wiring. So now i have a switch next to the shifter that controls the radiator fans. Ghetto, huh?

Well thats definately possible because I did start it on open headers. The question is then, can I just rewire the damaged wires, and how the heck did you wire your radiator to a switch anyhow? I'll just want my baby to be happy.

lol...youll laugh...let me paint a pic

fanswitch.jpg

the two positive wires on the fans were wire crimped together and then another wire was run into the passenger compartment. The negative wires were straight grounded (but i felt like drawing a line to the battery).

I then ran a wire from that battery to my switch and the line from the fans to the switch, VOALA fan switches.

The reason i did that is as i went back in the harness the wire just decompossed in my hand. So i have no idea where to wire the sensor to. So until i figure that out. Im stuck with the switch.

DUDE.....i had the same problem for about 5 F***in months and i REFUSED to ghetto fab a swith to run them and finally after days and days of tracing wires and swithcing and all that shit, i finally figured it out.i dont kno what kinda car u have but if u have an accord, this is probably your solution.....

for some reason the sensor plug that clips into the thermostat and the sensor plug that clips into the front radiotor hose accrss on the block have almost the same color wires and are about the same length ad becuase of the difference in location of the sensors on an H22 from an accord block, it makes it easy to just accidently plug in the wrong clip in the wrong place. on the stock accord motors, the thermostat is facing towards the right, on the H22,s the thermostat is in the rear of the block. i swapped both the front radiator hose sensor plug on the block and the thermostat plug and that solved my problem. if you fans were working before the swap and they're not working now, chances are the wiring isnt right. beleve me man, was about 10 minuets away from just fuckin giving up and wiring a switch but i continued to keep swithcing plugs and finally i got it.

your best bet is to reference yout wiring with another stock accord and see that color the wires are to each of the plugs but DONT be so quick to wire a switch till you checked all your wiring becuase the solution could just be a simple wrong plug

those housing switches are basically the same, but one is for the cooling fan, and the other is for the air conditioning. Two fans, two switches. You could use one switch, one relay, and have both fans come on together. Chances are, at the right temperature, the switch makes a ground. Using that ground as a reference to fire the relay, the relay would then power the fans.

Not ghetto fabulous, and inherently stock. Presto.

Bosch style relays are the most common, 4 or 5 post.

ha.

I shorted out the plug that goes to the thermostat with a paperclip... now my fans run constantly.. :laugh: I was too lazy to extend the plug..

That works better in the summer when warming up the car doesn't take as long.

Back