D-Series in DC; Commuter Car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
My commute has gotten considerably longer with the new job. I need to stop driving my truck every day. Don't want to put the miles on it and even at an impressive 23 mpg highway, it's not cutting it. My Integra is in NJ and I can't cost-effectively get it out here until end of summer. Even then, because of the auto, best highway MPG I ever saw was like 31.

Thought about getting a bike. Starter/commuter bikes can be had pretty cheap out here, but IDK if I want to be splitting lanes on my commute right into learning how to ride.

Came up with another idea. I came across a DC shell for basically scrap price. Haven't bought it yet, but going to take a look this week. Supposedly it is 100% minus the long block and trans. My thought is throw a cheap motor in it and run it for commuting. I'm uncertain of which motor to use though. A B20/B18 can be had for the same price as a D15/D16. I know Ds came standard in Japan on some models. I also know that they were complete dogs. IDC, it's for commuting. If the MPGs are 35-40+, I think the D is worth it over the B. Anyone have any experience at all with something like this? What do you think?

yea tegs overseas came with dseries in them in europe and aussy, same note can you ? yes , should you ? no lol and idk of b2d mounts

Due to the extra weight, you may end up burning more fuel just to move the thing. honestly, it may be a wash.

ls it is my opinion.

I would stick with the b series, also in CA will a d series swap be a bitch to carb?

Put the stock motor in it, tune it up nice, clean it up get some light wheels and tires and sell it to move your teg later. Or keep it and enjoy it.

I don’t think weight will be a factor but you’ll miss the torque I’m sure. Think about those DX/LX morons that put big heavy speakers in the car... those putt around just fine even with autos attached.

I would stick with the b series, also in CA will a d series swap be a bitch to carb?
I honestly forgot about that. Ugh. I'm not sure what the title situation even is, so it might get registered in NJ first to avoid back fees.
Put the stock motor in it, tune it up nice, clean it up get some light wheels and tires and sell it to move your teg later. Or keep it and enjoy it.
I'm going to go take a look at it Saturday morning. I'm thinking B20 with an LS trans at this point. I'm definitely going to try a few things with this car because I won't have much in it. It looks a little rough in the pictures, but I think it's just dirty. Could be a candidate for me to learn how to cut and buff though. If that doesn't work, learn how to Plasti-Dip, haha.

I've also been mildly entertained reading about ecomodding. Might try a few things. I do want to see if I can tune it for fuel efficiency. Again, learn how to tune on a car I don't have much in.

Worst case scenario, part it out and I'll get most of my investment back, if not more.

Attachments

• Attach14789_20180516_174814.jpg
    Attach14789_20180516_174814.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 420
can't do a b20. it's a truck motor.

cali suchs mang

yeah, they don't just look at it like they do over here. you will have to provide vin #'s, docs, etc etc. it's just not worth it.

I was talking about this with a buddy at work today. Asking questions as hes been in CA all his life and is a car guy. His response was, "Oh, we can get it smogged. We can get your lawnmower smogged if you want to drive it to work."

The B20s appear to be cheaper locally. That was the only reason I was leaning that way. Makes sense I guess since they are technically only good for CRVs. D-series actually cost the same or more, so that's definitely not happening. Guess we'll see how it goes.

The weight difference was about 1000lbs but if part of the reason the CRX HF got such crazy mileage was the transmission, I have one in my CRX and the gearing is very long. It's a cable trans though. A d16 with that transmission probably wouldnt go anywhere fast but it should deliver some mpgs. Or find an old HF Crx for ~1-1500

The weight difference was about 1000lbs but if part of the reason the CRX HF got such crazy mileage was the transmission, I have one in my CRX and the gearing is very long. It's a cable trans though. A d16 with that transmission probably wouldnt go anywhere fast but it should deliver some mpgs. Or find an old HF Crx for ~1-1500
I didn't look at prices before I started the thread. On the east coast B-series, even LS, get a few hundred dollar price tag. D-series are pretty much given away. Not the same in CA.

Looked at the car on Saturday. Pretty much what the pictures show. Bonus was that that is a carbon fiber hood. Clear coat is shot and it has hood pins, but a little epoxy and elbow grease and I'm not worried about the investment. Committed to it. Dragging it to my uncle's place tomorrow evening as long as Uhaul doesn't cancel my trailer rental again.

Think I'm going to be patient with this one though. I'm going to wait for a wrecked/parts car to come up on CL. It looks like all I'm missing is an engine and trans, but I don't want this thing to nickel and dime me to death. A decent parts car will cost about what the engine trans combo would run anyway.

Back