D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have the d-series motor...why would I swap for a B-series? I have said multiple times that I won't bother to swap the motor again. That would be even more money that could be going into the motor and drivetrain I already have. I am going to keep and turbo the D. Besides D-series motors are way cheaper than b-series motors to build. As for Luis...they use viatara pistons because they are about half the cost of forged pistons. But when it comes to it I will go forged. Gives me the ability to turn up the boost when I want.

I have the d-series motor...why would I swap for a B-series? I have said multiple times that I won't bother to swap the motor again. That would be even more money that could be going into the motor and drivetrain I already have. I am going to keep and turbo the D. Besides D-series motors are way cheaper than b-series motors to build. As for Luis...they use viatara pistons because they are about half the cost of forged pistons. But when it comes to it I will go forged. Gives me the ability to turn up the boost when I want.

Ah, I didn't know Vitara's weren't forged. lmao! hahahahaha It goes to show you that all I knew about Vitara's was...well, not very much obviously. I hadn't gotten that far in my research. I've been sticking to B-series researching and learning for a while. Thanks for explaining that to me though.

You just brought up a question though, is there truly a downside to using Vitara's then? What kind of risks would one run using them over forged?

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping your D, even though you have said you were all along. haha Some people can't read. That poor guy really wants you to get a B for some odd reason. *shrugs*

Dude, my parents are getting an EG Civic like mine this week, which makes me not want to sell the Z6 I have, but rather wait to see what their car has in it. If it just has a D15B7, I'll have my mechanic yank that one out and put the Z6 in. :D

Although, it will be an automatic. :eek: Oooo, automatic. :ph34r: I love them. :rolleyes: Freakin' torque converters. Anywho, I'm done taking up space in your thread for no particular reason, other than to ramble on and on and on and on and on. :D

Let me know what you end up doing as far as pistons go. ^_^

forged for the win man. thats awesome. my parents own like everything but a honda. toyota, subaru, mercury, dodge. lol but whatever. but yeah that guy really wants me to get one. I may build one in the future but only if I plan on going all motor. but at some point I wanna build an a-series carb'd motor.

I thought they were stronger than the d-series pistons due to some sort of coating they have. And I priced out the parts for my head and I plan on going with skunk2 parts.

Blanco is the killer of D-Series N/A dreams.

Anyone notice that after Blanco chimes in, everyone with a D decides to go F/I?

doesnt blanco have a NA z6 though? NA D's can be pretty fun! (if u dont expect b16 whp numbers)

Vitara pistons are from the Suzuki Vitara, which uses cast pistons like pretty much everyone else. The juxtaposed advantage and disadvantage is that they provide ~8.5:1 compression in a D16. Good if you're a cheap-ass and want 400whp, but that compression makes the engine have a lot less off-boost power. Where, with forged internals, you can run a little bit higher static compression and back the amount of boost off a tad so you get more off-boost power and similar peak power with less boost.

Thank you once again for that explanation, Scott. The MOST I knew about Vitara's, was that they were indeed from a Suzuki. I'm sure you may have heard of FJT on either Honda-Tech or TurboD16. I believe it was he that told me about their custom I-Beams, which will help increase the compression of the Vitara's. Their I-Beams, I know for sure now, are made exclusively for Vitara's. Here's the sale link on TurboD16...Turbo D16 • View topic - FJ Forged rods Oficial Pricing.. H beam / I beams
It's great to know all of that though. Thanks again. :D

Blanco explained to me that a five angle valve job, will help things...if I can remember correctly, flow and seal better?
Dont exotic multi angle valve jobs sacrifice durability?

Now that is a question for Blanco or Calesta or someone else to answer, as I am still learning about that.

as you explained before though a 3 angle valve job will be sufficient for my wants. I priced it all out and since I only have the y7 intake manifold I will be going with the intake manifold, 60 mm throttle body, stage 1 turbo cam, tuner series cam gear, retainers, and +.5 oversized valves all skunk2. I am also gonna look into buying an xtd clutch. anyone have any suggestions for a flywheel? I figure I will go through and buy all the parts then pull the motor and install everything at once except the turbo kit. break the motor in than throw the turbo on. What are the benefits of running a turbo cam versus a non turbo cam?

as you explained before though a 3 angle valve job will be sufficient for my wants. I priced it all out and since I only have the y7 intake manifold I will be going with the intake manifold, 60 mm throttle body, stage 1 turbo cam, tuner series cam gear, retainers, and +.5 oversized valves all skunk2. I am also gonna look into buying an xtd clutch. anyone have any suggestions for a flywheel? I figure I will go through and buy all the parts then pull the motor and install everything at once except the turbo kit. break the motor in than throw the turbo on. What are the benefits of running a turbo cam versus a non turbo cam?

Wait, you're going with Skunk2 springs and retainers AND you've read my thread? Ay yay yay! Try reading page umm, 2, 3, 4. Somewhere around there you'll see quite a few people recommending staying away from their valve trains because they have failed in quite a few builds. However, their cams are very good. :D I'll personally be using their stage 2 turbo cams for my B build, as well as their cam gears.

Oh look at what Blanco just pointed out right above me too. :D

Totally. I was just replying to what EvoTec1 said. :)

I highly recommend you use a different valve train. There are numerous instances of Skunk2 valve train failures destroying entire engines.

I got my flywheel from LSD Motorsports - Price Leader in High Performance Auto Parts and Accessories (877.573.6686)

Hey Scott, what factors were figured in when you chose your...I believe 11.5lb. flywheel, versus choosing a lighter, say 9lb. flywheel?

thanks for all your help. Are skunk2 cams decent for the price? Or should I go with a crower cam as well? the cam costs $393 and change. It seems quite expensive to me, but then again I would rather pay for power than skimp on it and go with ebay crap.

thanks for all your help. Are skunk2 cams decent for the price? Or should I go with a crower cam as well? the cam costs $393 and change. It seems quite expensive to me, but then again I would rather pay for power than skimp on it and go with ebay crap.

You know, I can't remember your name to save my life...but go on Honda-Tech and look-up Evasivemotorsports.com, they're one of the sellers/sponsors on there and give GREAT prices on Skunk2 products.

In fact, here is the link....:D Honda-Tech.com: Performance: Skunk 2 Performance Parts Cams, Cam gears

They gave me the best price I have found, period. Trust me, I have spent my time looking for the best price anywhere. Who knows though, the price you found may be close to what they can offer, as I only know the price they offered me for my B turbo stage 2 cams. Drop them a line on their post or send them a PM. They usually get back to you within a day or two. Either way, make sure you look around before you make your final purchase.

I believe the two gentlemen I spoke with were Geoff and Dennis in PM's.

hey the more power I can get the better. I would still like to do a home made type of turbo kit if the t28 wouldn't be overwhelmed on my motor after all the aftermarket parts I put into it.

I was goofing around on hmotorsonline.com and came across a jdm ek9 e-brake cover and arm rest elimintor...I was thinking about getting it what do you guys think? its like $35. I like the look of it. Does anyone have a picture of what the stock civic type-r wheels?

I was goofing around on hmotorsonline.com and came across a jdm ek9 e-brake cover and arm rest elimintor...I was thinking about getting it what do you guys think? its like $35. I like the look of it. Does anyone have a picture of what the stock civic type-r wheels?

I'm thinking that will add at LEAST twenty horse power to your build, so go for it! :eek: Actually, if you have the money to use on something else, why not? If you like it, go for it. Personally I do not want to use money on any other peripherals yet. My theory now is to buy what I need, build, then customize later. :D

Yeah I understand that. But I wasn't asking if it would add horsepower. lol come on now. But what part am I gonna get for $35?

Yeah I understand that. But I wasn't asking if it would add horsepower. lol come on now. But what part am I gonna get for $35?

haha...I know. It's always funny to say that though. Anywho, I would say go for it! Then take pictures and show us how it looks. :D

for sure plus if you wanna be technical....it would eliminate the weight of the arm rest thats like a good two pounds lol. but for real that will start to add up when I take out my back seat, and stuff like that. I am gonna try and drop a lot of weight soon.

If you want to run authentic CTR wheels you're going to need a 5 lug conversion...

Back