D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Hey guys I have finally decided that I wanna go with a n/a setup my question for you guys is what pistons would be good for this setup? Anything higher than a 10:1 compression would be nice. I already went with arp head studs, and a brand new oem head gasket, a shitty ebay header, and a cai. Basically I am trying to see how far I can go hp wise with a n/a y8. I have seen may too many turbo d's and wanna go a different way. Not that n/a d-series haven't been done before. I plan on replacing the header with a dc sport header, high flow cat, and full 2.5 inch exhaust, and going with a obd-1 conversion and a p28 ecu. The block will be bored at least .30 over. Any suggestions on how I can push the most power from this block would be awesome!! I hear skunk2 intake manifolds are the best for an all motor setup, so I will probably go with that and a 65 mm throttle body.

D series engines are the babies of the bunch, so to speak. Ive had a few, but I quickly learned B-series is much easier to make power with. For all the money you will spend building that D, you can have a boosted or built na B series. Simple oem ls/vtec builds can net close to 200whp. Just 'food for thought'.

I have thought about this plan I merely had a typo. sorry Blanco. not .30 I meant more like .030, yeah it isn't much but although I am gonna try and go far I still need a fairly reliable car, although I also have a back up motor prepped in case. And I understand the d-series motors are the smallest motors honda produces, as well as most of the time the least powerful, however I have 2 d-series motors already, no b-series and would rather just work with what I have. As for me doing ITB's, and such...I posted up there I would be goin most likely with a skunk2 intake manny, and throttle body. I don't know much about ITB's except that they are a little far in depth than I would like to go. I would rather stick to stuff I have experience with. I do appreciate you guys' replies. Sorry if I come off as pissy or something but I have an idea of what I want, I don't expect insane numbers from this motor. I would be happy with around 180 ish. I know to you guys that isn't much, but this is a daily driver first, a toy second. I have a project car that will be the one where the crazy amounts of money will be dumped into. However I do occasionally take this car to the local track, and would like some better times. I normally run the road course. I have more work in the suspension, and handling related stuff than I have done to the motor.

he is right, just buy a h22 and build it to get the desired HP you want. the only way to make a d fast is nitrous or turbo thats why you see so many turboed cause they have learned you cant make it fast with a reasonable amount of money trust me i built my D and it still wasnt that fast so i bought a nitrous kit. Then swapped h22 you will save yourself money in the long run if you just swap and build a little.

I was thinking of building a d before I turboed mine. Just not worth it unless you are satisfied with 135whp on an all honda part build with a cam and itb.

Just put a junkyard turbo kit on it and you'd be making as much power if not more than what you'd make on an 8k NA build.

So you may as well just go ahead and turbo that bitch now.

Last edited:
It's doable- you just have to have realistic goals. I had a plan for an all motor D to about 150-160whp, and I was going to do it for about $1000 in parts and labor. Hookups galore. ;)

Easy way to high compression: use PM7 or P29 pistons in the Y8 block/head combo. That will get you to 12.6:1 using the proper head gasket combination. Good luck with tuning- the high domes on those pistons make it fun.

Threads like this one make me re-think my D build and make me want to totally concentrate on my B build, period.

I'll prove to you myself the d-series motors can be beasts

I do not disagree with you at all. Personally though, I am going to concentrate on my B build for now and leave my D build, if it does materialize, for later. That is all. Best of luck to you. :D

Okay I was gonna say come on now the dirty d's have potential too. lol but yeah your b is gonna get up and go too.

Believe me, I know they do. I just have to get my priorities straight and focus on one thing at a time. B's before D's for me. :D

Blanco is the killer of D-Series N/A dreams.

Anyone notice that after Blanco chimes in, everyone with a D decides to go F/I?

Blanco is the killer of D-Series N/A dreams.

Anyone notice that after Blanco chimes in, everyone with a D decides to go F/I?

Holy crap! I'm so tired that I just thought you said Blanco stands for "D-series dreams" in Chinese. WOW! I need SLEEP! Yes, it's time for bed now..

On a side note, ask yourself why that is. Perhaps because he makes SENSE? Then again, he is not against all motor one bit. He, along with others, just shed light on the reality side of making power all motor, which ends up costing more than a nicely boosted set up. That's all. :D Still, there is nothing wrong with naturally aspirated.

You're absolutely correct. The D-series is the 'commuter' engine. Not to mention that D's rule/run the world.

Building a D makes very little sense. People need to realize that. There's no cheap way to make a D put out more power, it's already at/close to its limits.

Oh well, some people never learn.

There's very little point in most all-motor Honda engines. If you want all-motor power, get a V8. Nothing like 330ft.lbs.@1600rpm. :)

The rumble of a V8 is a beautiful thing too. I remember when I almost bought a Trans Am GTA? I believe. The one with the digital dash and what have you. Anywho, at the time I had never been in or started up a V8 before. Lets just say that I almost jumped for joy when I heard that engine rumble. :D Still, I love my Hoinda's and with today's gas prices, am glad that I own them.

You're absolutely correct. The D-series is the 'commuter' engine. Not to mention that D's rule/run the world.

Building a D makes very little sense. People need to realize that. There's no cheap way to make a D put out more power, it's already at/close to its limits.

Oh well, some people never learn.

Vitara turbo setup is cheap but there is no cheap way to make a D put out a decent amount of NA power to warrant building it over swapping besides the novelty of having a D beat a B16.

yeah I looked more into it and it was just not even worth it. But yeah ironically I have an 80 trans am with the 305 that I want to turbo but I am not sure about the whole carbeurated turbo setup. Yeah I have heard turboed d's are pretty good for power. What do you guys think about a superchager on my motor?

Back