D16Z6 Swap into a '92-'95 Civic DX sedan

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm working on swap'n a D16Z6 SOHC VTEC into a '92-'95 Civic DX Sedan. The stock motor was the D15. I came acrossed the whole D16 swap for dirt cheap, so I decided to throw it in, and I want to turbo charge it.
I know that I need to add some wires to the harnesses in the car, since the car wasn't VTEC to start with, any help???
I would also appreciate any extra info that anyone could throw my way about modding the motor for a turbo. A thicker, copper head gasket? New valve seals and piston rings? Tell me all that you can........what should I spend money on first???

Thanks ....ImportDimensions

I'm all about greddy! I have a D16Z6 and Greddy is in my OPINION the best kit to buy! It comes with the 15G turbo and you can run 7psi safely on a stock motor! You will need an intercooler, BOV, and lower compression pistons to be able to run that set up at 14-18lbs of boost safely. You could probably squeeze 8-10psi out of it with just the intercooler and BOV! You can make your own kit that would cost alot less. Somewhere between $100-$800 depending on the turbo you get and so on...

Perform a leakdown test on the engine before you put it in just to be sure it's healthy... you might want to replace a few gaskets, water pump, etc while you're at it.

I know a few people who were using the intercooled Greddy kit on totally stock D16 SOHC VTEC engines (D16Y8, not D16Z6) and they boosted 10-12psi without any problems... with a result of 215-220hp and 200lbft or so of torque at the wheels.

So i have a d15 comin outta my 94 civic dx sedan and am replacing it with a d16. I wanna know what i should expect. Hard...easy? i mean i have a pretty good mechanic to do the work. We will have the wiring harness ...ecu.......axles...tranny......it should bolt right up and be an easy job right. Let me know if should expect anything weird.

Originally posted by civicman202@Feb 6 2003, 02:33 PM
So i have a d15 comin outta my 94 civic dx sedan and am replacing it with a d16. I wanna know what i should expect. Hard...easy? i mean i have a pretty good mechanic to do the work. We will have the wiring harness ...ecu.......axles...tranny......it should bolt right up and be an easy job right. Let me know if should expect anything weird.

The only problem I can think of would be the VTEC wiring...

Another option might be to sell your DX and the motor (try to make some profit) and buy an EX... it's the same car.. but with power windows, locks, and a stock z6...

Edit: this will save you on mechanics costs (which might make up the difference), also you can test drive the car.. find one with low miles (if there is such a thing).

Back