Door Jam

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

knocturnal

In my '91 Accord, the door won't open. The locking mechanism inside the door is broken. The only way i can fix it, is to open the door~which i can't do.
Does anybody have any advice as to how i would get it open??

Thanks in advance....

can you get the inside door handle taken apart, i dont have a accord to look at, but in my crx there is a screw behing the door handle on the inside, i would start with that, because its going to be pretty hard to get the door panel off with the door shut(ie impossible without wreaking it)

good luck

Originally posted by mrblk@Jan 10 2003, 01:09 AM
can you get the inside door handle taken apart, i dont have a accord to look at, but in my crx there is a screw behing the door handle on the inside, i would start with that, because its going to be pretty hard to get the door panel off with the door shut(ie impossible without wreaking it)

good luck

yeah, i can take it apart~ but i haven't yet. I'm kinda waitin' til the weekend before i go any farther

In alot of cars, when you take apart the door, there is a cable that actually opens the door.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 10 2003, 01:38 AM
In alot of cars, when you take apart the door, there is a cable that actually opens the door.

true, but the main screw i need to take the inside panel apart, is in between the door and the dash

hey in civics and accords the door mechanism is operated by a series or rods that push and pull the mechanism the best solution is to go in to the car and pull off the plastic trim that cover the opening behind the handle (one Philips screw) then see if you can unlock the door using the rod for the look(your door is locked shut) the door panel can the be removed by first talking off the speaker panel then around bottom there are screws undo all of them then the window crank next get a flap pry bar and pop all the clips around the door ( the window crank is held on with a horse clip you need a special tool to remove it or a lot of time and a rag) the door panel needs to come out then up to be removed if it seems to be caught up you are caught on a screw so check for it.
Once you have the panel off you are basically done and can fix the problem
Some ass hole trashed my locks broke both before he gave up and went through the window
So I got to do it the same way the other option is to call a locksmith find one that is flat rate and don’t tell him it might be broken and let him go to work when he gets it open pay the 40 and laugh at him.

yeah hcivic is right..... you gotta get in from the door skin, sometimes it's a major bitch to take off when you cant open the door but once you can see the rods i'll figit with them for 5 min to see if i can get anything working, then if not normally it's because one rod got knocked off the other, then you have the pleasure of finding how and where.

Originally posted by knocturnal@Jan 11 2003, 03:08 AM
i think i'm gettin' what you guys are sayin'. But there is no window crank, i have power windows...

thats good, less crap to deal with

If the door is not able to be opened from inside or out, then being able to get access to the rods will not help you. The plastic linkage connecting the rods to the latch assembly has broken. You can get the panel off with the door closed, it's a bitch but can be done.

there are two diffrent tabs one for the lock one for the latch
the bottom line is you need to get the inner pannel off
do you have power locks?
if so then the lock motor froze up and will not unlock the door

Back