Dropped a valve. Destroyed built z6. Time to swap to b18c. All help appreciated!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lol @ built dseries comment, soo you claimed made 158 hp z6... thats still less power than a stock b16 and sure still less tq... and a b16 anything 92+ stockish is slowwwwwwwwwwwwww afffffffffffffffffff as ffuuuudddgeeeeeee

I don't claim that I made 158whp and 116wtrq (not crank). I'm stating a fact that I made 158whp on a Mustang Dyno, which by the way, are known to read low relative to other dynos in the market. That's approximately 180 crank HP. stock b16 USDM b16 makes 160 crank HP. That's approximately 130whp. Before photobucket royalty screwed all their users, the chart was posted on several other forums. It's been a feature build on Honda-Tech when it made 156whp the year before. . Don't believe me? Look it up. Search my user name. You'll find my posts on various other forums. You can also find my videos there as well. Not going to go into why I built a d-serie. Just know that I did it because I could. Want pics? I'll post them in due time.

Regarding the d-series transmission, read the original post. You'll understand why.

FYI, my friend's OBD2 d16y8 with basicslly I/H/E and RDX injectors and a tune made 150whp on the same Dyno as me with the same tuner the very next day. You're right. The stock injectors are good for NA builds. RDX can make the build better. I suggest you read up on fuel atomization.

Cheers.

Last edited:
im not knocking dseries , im a obd0/dohc dseries mastaaaa , just bang for buck they get the shit end of the stick
16473481_10158173524380076_7999115593476099315_n.jpg

im not knocking dseries , im a obd0/dohc dseries mastaaaa , just bang for buck they get the shit end of the stick
View attachment 26382

I respect the love for the d-series DOHC.

You're right, bang for the buck isn't there. But the challenge to build an otherwise unloved and disrespected motor into something better is what it's about. The look on people's faces after getting off the track and hearing "only one cam!?" makes it all worth it. But that was then and this is now... New project. New challenge.

Meh people have been throwing money and making power with single cams since civics came into the US , you need to be posting pics up of this ride :D

Meh people have been throwing money and making power with single cams since civics came into the US , you need to be posting pics up of this ride :D

Any suggested hosting sites? I haven't bothered looking since photobucket screwed everyone over.

you can upload your pics directly from your computer to the post using the upload file button
or use the gallery here

Lol photobucket didnt screw anyone over its just reaking of ads, my stuff from 2001 is still on there... just checked

you can upload your pics directly from your computer to the post using the upload file button
or use the gallery here

+1 Honda-Swap! I've been on other forums for years and they've all used a hosting website URL. Direct uploads are great.

Lol photobucket didnt screw anyone over its just reaking of ads, my stuff from 2001 is still on there... just checked

You're right... Offering free hosting for years, allowing their users to upload photos and use them for forums, online stores, etc., and then forcing them to pay $400 per year as a fee to release the photos onto those same websites isn't screwing them over....

The photos are still there. You just have to pay to have them released now.

As requested, here are a few pics. Videos are below.

The first couple are from a few years ago after I completed the auto-to-manual swap, full suspension and brake upgrade.

IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG

I took a close-up shot if the ALT Lite-Speed 16" rims and the 11.1" Prelude SR-V rotors and ITR calipers (custom painted) with Hawk HP+ in the front and HPS in the rear. I'm using Russell S/S braided brake lines and an ITR 1" master cylinder. The brake fluid is Amsoil high temp race fluid.
IMG_0867.JPG

Here's the most recent dyno graph. I snapped a pic from the tuner's screen. 158whp and 116wtrq from an NA d16z6. This year is superimposed over last year. You can see the increase in power in the mid-range.
IMG_5821.JPG

Engine bay.
IMG_5828.JPG

The combustion chamber of cylinder 2 after the exhaust valve snapped at the neck.
IMG_6052.JPG

The massive hole in piston #2. The valve is actually in the hole.
IMG_6054.JPG

The car in action at the track. I use 15" Rotas with BF Goodrich Rival S tires.
IMG_6060.JPG

Videos
158whp 116wtrq dyno run - this year:

Chasing and passing a B20VTEC swapped Acura EL 1.6 (open lapping) - last year:

Chasing and passing a b16 swapped EK, Nissan Sylvia, BMW 235 and a Cayman S (open lapping) - last year:

Chasing and passing a Honda Integra (Acura RSX Type-S) (open lapping) - this year:

Dropping the valve and destroying the motor (open lapping) - this year:

Last edited:
you are going to like the performance gain going to b series but seriously though you want to use the bseries trans , I have always preferred a b16 trans with ls 5th gear if I had a choice in the matter

I've been a loyal d-series fan for 12 years. I set myself a goal and I achieved it. It just didn't last long... the motor was over-built and a fatal error (keeping OEM valves vs aftermarket) was the cause.

It's time for a change. Time for a new challenge. A few friends are glad to see me finally swap to a B.

I had to make sure I was getting an ITR LSD. I needed something to replace what I had built. My S40B000 5-speed has a Quaife LSD, MFactory 1.565 3rd, stock 3rd to 4th and 0.878 ZC 5th. I also had it rebuilt using a Synchrotech carbon synchro rebuild kit. The transmission was the best part of the car IMO.

I'm not sure whether I have the '95-'97 ITR S80 or the '98-'01 ITR S80. I know there's a way to find out but I'm not keen on cracking open the case unless I have to.

Here's the stock d-series S40B000 gearing:
1. 3.250
2. 1.909
3. 1.250
4. 0.909
5. 0.702
FD. 4.25

Here's what mine is like right now:
1. 3.250 (stock
2. 1.909 (stock)
3. 1.565 (MFactory)
4. 1.250 (stock 3rd)
5. 0.878 (ZC)
FD. 4.25 (stock)

Here's the S80 ('98-'01 ITR)
1. 3.230
2. 2.105
3. 1.458
4. 1.034
5. 0.787
FD. 4.785

And the the S80 ('95-'97 ITR)
1. 3.230
2. 2.105
3. 1.458
4. 1.107
5. 0.848
FD: 4.40

I'd say the one I built is closer to the '95-'97 spec.

They do not. I've research this extensively. Bisi had intended to manufacture a kit but it never materialized. I've contacted them with no response. I've contacted other manufacturers that make D-to-B kits and they do not. The closest I could find was a DIY post on another forum made by someone in South Africa. His reason for the adaptation was that D-series transmissions are for more available and cheaper than B-series transmission. For him and others that have done it, it's worth it. Given the extensive time and effort required, for me it's not.

Ok, could've sworn Bisi offered them for purchase on his site forever ago. He doesn't seem to even give Honda gear a glance anymore though... just builds the odd Honda every now and then, but is focusing on higher dollar customers now. I don't blame him. More profit working on the high priced cars with high priced mods.

Make your own adapter?

dilbeck, be nice.

Back