Engine hurt! Need help please!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I hear you on being wary of buying someone else's dog of a motor, people suck. However if comp. is good and more importantly consistent it's likely OK, and you should be able to got one these for $200 I'd think. How much of the work can you do yourself on the head and block. If you can actually do the machine work then go for it. Valves and seals are cheap. But in my experience rebuilding is a can of worms, you'll likely find other problems as you get into it. You'll probably need to hone and re-ring it. If you're paying for machine work, forget it. You can do the b18b from hmotors for ~$1k to your door.

Well your in indy im right by cincy. if you need valves I got plenty of them you can have them for nothing. Pay for shipping or meat up too get them..

well he can hook you up with the valves. or maybe you could find a engine to toss in for now on craigslist.. either way good luck!

I would look for a new motor as well, it will be about the same cost as rebuilding the head. I have never seen a Honda motor fail that badly in onlt 96k. At 90k most Hondas are only just starting life. D motors can be found for super cheap. I sold my D16 with trans, ecu and harness for $300. I got my complete B18B1 swap for $800 engine trans, axles, harness and ecu. Both motors where is great shape. They are out there you just need to look.

Oh to add to the not seeing a motor do that at 96k. That is if it is taken care of even half way decently. That motor must have seen some abuse and lack of maintenance IMO.

Alright guys here is the update... After being dicked around with a couple of different engines for sale from flaky sellers, I bought a head from a guy instead. The head is a 1.5 vtec head and my engine is non vtec if you recall. So what do I need to do and what head gasket do I need to use to make it work? Im going to leave vtec disconnected as of now because money is tight and I just need it running and driving again!

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!

Alright guys here is the update... After being dicked around with a couple of different engines for sale from flaky sellers, I bought a head from a guy instead. The head is a 1.5 vtec head and my engine is non vtec if you recall. So what do I need to do and what head gasket do I need to use to make it work? Im going to leave vtec disconnected as of now because money is tight and I just need it running and driving again!

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!

Honestly if you just put the new head on and wire it up it might work. I am not recomending this as it cant be good for the motor, but I ran a d16z6 ( obd1 vtec motor) in my old hatch back off of the d16a6 wiring (obd0 non vtec) for about a year before it shit out on me.

Look to see if the part numbers for the head gasket are the same, if so you're probably in business. If not there are oil passage differences b/t vtec and non-vtec for the b-series engines. Don't know about the D series, make sure the head will still get oil, if it won't you need to plumb it in. Look at LS/VTEC guides to see how to do this.

Back