Ferrari F-50 STOLEN

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

He dropped off salesman - and took off in Ferrari
By JIM NOLAN
nolanj@phillynews.com

You think YOU'VE had a bad day.

How'd you like to be the trusting Main Line Ferrari salesman who got out of the passenger seat to switch places with a prospective customer last week, only to be left at the curb?

In case you're wondering, that was a $729,000 f-50 Ferrari. Red, of course.

The salesman, not to mention Lower Merion police, are still looking for the car, which detectives believe may have been driven into a trailer shortly after it was stolen for shipment overseas or a black market transaction.

Even harder to believe is that the silver-tongued con man was able to get behind the wheel of the Italian roadster without even showing a driver's license, according to police.

It all happened Sept. 16 at Algar Ferrari, on Lancaster Avenue, in Rosemont, one of only 32 Ferrari and Maserati dealerships in North America.

Lower Merion police said a man called the dealership saying he was flying up from Atlanta and was interested in a red, 1995, f-50 in stock.

He arrived wearing a shirt and tie and a Rolex watch, acting affluent and telling the salesmen that his limo was parked next door in the Acme parking lot.

Salesmen always accompany prospective customers on test drives. But police said that after the first test drive with the salesman behind the wheel, the con man asked to take another spin driving himself, saying he was concerned about the brakes.

Police said he told the dealership that he left his wallet and license at the airport. Nevertheless, a manager agreed to let him drive with the salesman.

Around 5 p.m. on Spring Mill Road, the man asked if the salesman would drive the rest of the way back to the dealership.

"When the salesman gets out, he just takes off," said Det. Charles J. Craig, who is handling the case.

Despite rush hour and rapid police deployment to the area, there was no trace of the car, leading cops to suspect the con man had accomplices.

"This took a lot of planning," said Craig.

Police released a description of the Ferrari thief - White, around 6-foot, slender, with short, clean-cut, reddish-brown hair and glasses. The Ferrari is pretty hard to miss.

Detectives are also looking into whether the theft is related to similar thefts of Ferraris in North Carolina and Long Island. Anyone with information can call 610-645-6228.

talk about perfect that salesman got :owned:

What if the salesman was in on the deal ??? If I was the salesman, I would have done it for a fee !!!

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 26 2003, 02:23 PM
i thoght ferraris were made-to-order-only cars?

nope

there are about 60 ferrari dealersips across the country(i think) they always have cars in stock, and all the nice ones either have either an F-50 or an Enzo on display

there were only 70 enzos shipped to the states and since all the cars are built in italy, it would be kind of hard to have them made to order.

There are actually 32 Ferrari Dealerships in NORTH AMERICA, and there are 88 F-50's for sale each year...and you have to be on a wait list/approved from Ferrari - Italy to purchase one that is brand new...

This one is used, therefore the dealership is smoking crack for letting just anyone come in all GQ'd out...their loss is that car thief's gain...

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 26 2003, 02:49 PM
OMFG THAT IS THE BEST AVITAR EVER CREATED SISTEVE

THE CHEAT >>>>>>> EVERYONE

:eek:t:

i wonder if the salesman and manager at that dealership got fired

the cheat is grounded!!!!!

we had that light switch installed so you can turn the lights on and off

NOT so you can throw light switch raves!!!!

:D :D :D

Originally posted by sisteve@Nov 26 2003, 01:41 PM
you have to be on a wait list/approved from Ferrari - Italy to purchase one that is brand new...

thats what i was referring to.

Originally posted by sisteve@Nov 26 2003, 03:41 PM
There are actually 32 Ferrari Dealerships in NORTH AMERICA, and there are 88 F-50's for sale each year...and you have to be on a wait list/approved from Ferrari - Italy to purchase one that is brand new...

This one is used, therefore the dealership is smoking crack for letting just anyone come in all GQ'd out...their loss is that car thief's gain...

you mean they still currently offer the f50? I thought that it was a one time thing?

This so sounds like something out of gone in 60 seconds.

an f50 aint shit compared to my b16 sedan!!!

'speshully since MINE DONT RUN!!! BEEYOTCHES!!!

:blink:

Originally posted by randerson165@Nov 26 2003, 02:26 PM
What if the salesman was in on the deal ??? If I was the salesman, I would have done it for a fee !!!

Ha i was thinking the same thing

Back