Fuel Pump?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drewdrew

I was just curious if any one had any trouble with a stock fuel pump not pressurizing the system when the engine is hot in a 93 del sol SI. Here's the deal, I'll jump in the car when the engine is cold, crank it up, let it warm up for a while, drive around, stop for gas or something after the engine is hot. When I go to turn it on again, I don't here the fuel pump kick in, and I try to crank it over, it runs for a second, then stutters, gets no gas, and dies. Then I sit there rocking the key between ACC and ON, waiting for the fuel pump to kick in. Sometimes 3 switches later it goes, some times, like tonight, it was 10 minutes before the thing pressurized the system. WHATS THE DEAL? I assume that it is the fuel pump, but then why would it ONLY happen when the engine is hot? Surely the fuel pump doesn't get that so hot that it stops working properly. If it is wiring, why doesn't it happen randomly if the engine is hot or cold.

A little help is all I'm asking for. Is there something in the engine bay I look for? If its the fuel pump what other honda/acura pumps fit a 93 del sol, should I go semi-stock if I replace it or try for one of the in-line pumps?

Sorry for the length, but it is needed to describe the problem, Ya know? Thanks a million in advance.
-Drew

Why would it happen exclusivly when the engine is hot? If it is an ignition switch (wiring) problem why doesn't it happen when the engine is cold as well?

I'm not trying to be rude, it's just that these are the answers everyone has given me, and I know that the people around this site have the experience and the knowhow to help me out here.

Thanks

are you sure its the fuel pump?

I am pretty sure that its the sound I hear when I turn the key to on position normally, is the fuel pump pressuizing the system. Why do I think this you ask, because every car with a fuel pump makes that sound when you go turn the car on. The only time that the engine stutters and dies is when I don't hear that sound.

Come on you know the sound, wuuur, lasts about a second, to a second and half, if you don't, go out to your car, turn the key to "on" and listen with door open, trust me you'll hear it.

However, I can be wrong, its happened before, and it'll happen again. So, if its not the fuel what else could it be? I am open to any and all suggestions, I know that someone out there knows whats going on, and is eagerly holding back the answer for just the right time.

This problem have been hunting me for a number of years and finally I got it fixed.

Symptoms: Car sometimes would start and die almost immediately especially if the weather is hot.
Reason why car won't start: main relay wouldn't fire up the fuel pump due to the soldering cracks on Mian Relay PCB. Cracks would appear over time and can be re-soldered.

from http://www.crxsi.com/resources/repair/fixi...ing_main_relay/

It's most likely the Main Relay or Ignition switch they are the only components in the circuit. If it's not one of them it's a short and would happen any time.

Its that simple? Really? The relay is affected by engine heat? The car died on me last night with this problem, and it was only like 60 degrees. I'll check it out, thanks a million man, this is the first time anyone has suggested a reason why it would be the main relay. But still can you explain why it would only happen when the engine is hot? I mean the inside of car doesn't change temp. that much compared to the engine, so why would the relativle small change in temp inside the car affect the relay, but the wildly hot texas sun summer in a parking lot doesn't create the same problem though the plastic inside the car is too hot to touch? I know I know I ask too many questions I'm sorry, but thanks again, I'll check the main the relay again and let you know what I find.

I'm sorry that this has not exactly been swap related, but I knew that it would get the most traffic here, and give me the best chance of finding a solution.

Originally posted by solblu@Feb 19 2003, 08:43 PM
This problem have been hunting me for a number of years and finally I got it fixed.

Symptoms: Car sometimes would start and die almost immediately especially if the weather is hot.
Reason why car won't start: main relay wouldn't fire up the fuel pump due to the soldering cracks on Mian Relay PCB. Cracks would appear over time and can be re-soldered.

from http://www.crxsi.com/resources/repair/fixi...ing_main_relay/

It's most likely the Main Relay or Ignition switch they are the only components in the circuit. If it's not one of them it's a short and would happen any time.

Whoa!! I'll need to check this as soon as the sun comes up tomorrow .. but damn .. ur problem is exactly like mine

When the weather was hot .. the car would randomily not start, and I'd be waiting in the parking lot for 20, 30, 40 minutes sometimes.. since it's winter now, nothing at all is happening.

I changed my fuel filter and stuff, but to no avail ... mebbe ur answer is waht I needed. thanks man!

How do you check the ECU? Will it throw a code saying the ECU is bad? Can it do that? Also a question for qupta p. Would this happen to you only in the summer when it is hot? Or would it occationally happen in the cooler months but after the car was warmed up. See thats whats throwing me.

I can recall it happening once in the summer in Texas (over 100 degrees outside) but it usually happens after the car has warmed up, and it happen two nights ago when the outside temp was only 60. Does this sound like the same problem still? Or is it something else?

By the way the fuses are good, wouldn't a blown fuse cause this to happen all the time?

I'm telling you man it sounds like a main relay. That is the only thing inline with the fuel pump. I've heard many excuses or explanations as to why they go bad. Do you have a Helms and a multimeter? There is a test for it. Takes a couple minutes to check. Pull it when your car won't start and test it. If you need me to I can scan the test and host it on my site. Pm me.

Back