Future Plans

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JaeSun

i have a certain amount of money saved up .... so i have plans in the very near future to start fixing up an EK (00) hatch ....

90% of the money will be going toward performance mods...exterior/show mods will be a little (CF hood, lowered, rims, EXTREMELY MILD IF NOT STOCK body kit) .....

so right now im in the planning stages ...

i have an idea of what the final outcome should be like .... i would like to be pushing 300HP@wheels, yet i would like it to be reliable (so another words, i would like it to have the potential of 300-350HP, but more driving around 200-250HP, so basically just keeping the PSI down) ....

also, what OBD issues will i run into?

so far, i have a list of what i would need and need to be done:

00 Civic Hatch CX
Engine Swap (99-00 Si, GSR, or B20/Vtec, or what? ... another thread here)
Turbo
Wastegate
3" Blow Off Valve
3" cat back - Tanabe Racing Medallion
high-flow cat (or none at all?)
downpipe
Intercooler
Sleeves?
Upgraded Lower Compression Pistons
Connecting Rods?
Cam Gears - AEM
Pulley System - AEM
Some Head Work
Head Swap (depending on which swap i decide to go with above?)
Upgraded Ignition System - MSD
Upgraded Fuel Rail - AEM
Fuel Filter - AEM
Fuel Pressure Regulator - AEM
Injectors
Fuel Pump - AEM
Upgraded Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
LSD
A/F Gauge
Turbo Timer - HKS
StandAlone System/Hondata - AEM or Hondata
Boost Controller -HKS

i know there has to be more ... i just cant think of any .. help guys?

also, what suggestions do you have for specific companies to use (AEM, Greddy, etc) ....

for 350 horse your certainly going to want a hondata or stand alone system (AEM). I'm not sure what you meant by "upgraded ECU". These systems will handle "fuel management"

for this application, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get a hondata......and for how you want to run nicely with that much horsepower, get a turbo timer AND boost controller (HKS MAKES THE BEST).

thats what i thought oo, but i read somewhere that the fuel management system and the hondata were different..maybe i read it wrong...

ECU...maybe i read that wrong too ... cuz i know with my friends VW, he got an upgraded ECU for his 1.8t ....

well it depends if you buy a tunable hondata or a chipped ECU. They are very different. And your friend doesn't have any more fuel system control for his VW than he did before. All he probably got was no speed governor and some hacked fuel curves.

EDIT: For that much power, just to be clear, your going to want a Tunable Hondata system or AEM standalone. There are a few other companies, but these two have the best rep.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Mar 21 2003, 05:37 PM
well it depends if you buy a tunable hondata or a chipped ECU. They are very different. And your friend doesn't have any more fuel system control for his VW than he did before. All he probably got was no speed governor and some hacked fuel curves.

EDIT: For that much power, just to be clear, your going to want a Tunable Hondata system or AEM standalone. There are a few other companies, but these two have the best rep.

yea...its not really something he can tune himself, unless he buys the kit to allow him to do so .... he got the APR chip ... gave him 28HP at the wheels .....

but yea, ill be going hondata or AEM .... ill go edit the orig post...THANKS

VW's are a little diffrent. I have seen some chips for them bump hp by 40-50hp because VW tunes their engines like shit.

As for you, what engines are you looking at? The two best engines you should look at are the b18b and the b18c. If your going turbo, i would say to stay away from a frankinstein engine unless it is a gsr with a b16 head on it (because they flow better). As for connection rods, look at Eagle rods. This place has them for 350. I would run a cat, otherwise it will be loud as hell, plus you wont see that big of gains. Save the air. I would also sleve it. If you want to run 2.0 litres, bore a gsr out to the proper diameter (83mm? Check the article section it has it in there) I would recomend you stay away from any type of pully system unless they are ones that are already ballanced (I think toda and spoon make them) otherwise you can kill your engine real quick with the exess vibration.

ahhh...thanks for the information ... i always thought i knew what i would need to do all this, but now that im planning it, i just want to make sure and find as much information, even if its little...hehe ....

ive decided on the GSR engine .... i was thinking about going with a B16 head because as you said, i hear they flow better, and then even get a B16 intake manifold because it flows more air through it, and alot better than even the ITR?

what about pistons? eagle? JE?

save the air?

hmm, boring out the engine to 2.0 doesnt sound like a bad idea ...

and stay away from pulley (except toda and spoon?)..haha .... aint getting that..good, but $expensive$ as hell im sure .... hehe ...

someone told me once about getting a frankenstein, get some cams and valvetrain setup to allow for the turbo to get to higher revs, but everywhere i read, i keep reading that even the frankenstein itself can be plagued by oil leaks, etc without the turbo ... and it can be unreliable with the turbo and doesnt like to be revved high and long ....

and thanks for info ...

yea, VWs jumps alot with the chip .... guess its kool for aftermarket owners who want easy upgrade for power ..... but even so, the cars are tanks !! 3K LB !

i think it is wisco that makes a real nice piston. Intercrew has them (calesta has gone through them many times)

save the air?

The air WE breath. The performance gains are very small so just get a good racing cat (one that has honey cumb stlye filter stuff)

and stay away from pulley (except toda and spoon?)..haha .... aint getting that..good, but $expensive$ as hell im sure .... hehe ...

AEM and Unorthodox pulleys are peices of shit. They are not ballanced so then they vibrate alot, causing things in your engine to break rapidly.

About frankinsteins... LSVTECs are only worth doing if you already have an LS block (IE LS integra), otherwise a gsr will be cheaper, and will have OEM oil lines plus cooling might even be a little better. The CRVTEC is only good for NA. The sleaves on them are a little weak to go turbo on so sleaving is a must on them. Since you have to sleave them, you might as well just get a gsr and bored/sleave that so that way you have better quaility (better cooling is the most important.)

if your keeping it street than just get a h22.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 23 2003, 11:37 AM
i think it is wisco that makes a real nice piston. Intercrew has them (calesta has gone through them many times)

save the air?

The air WE breath. The performance gains are very small so just get a good racing cat (one that has honey cumb stlye filter stuff)

AEM and Unorthodox pulleys are peices of shit. They are not ballanced so then they vibrate alot, causing things in your engine to break rapidly.

About frankinsteins... LSVTECs are only worth doing if you already have an LS block (IE LS integra), otherwise a gsr will be cheaper, and will have OEM oil lines plus cooling might even be a little better. The CRVTEC is only good for NA. The sleaves on them are a little weak to go turbo on so sleaving is a must on them. Since you have to sleave them, you might as well just get a gsr and bored/sleave that so that way you have better quaility (better cooling is the most important.)

i thought about that, but read this post here and felt better going with a GSR than anything ....

asmall: thanks for all your input !!

Originally posted by JaeSun@Mar 21 2003, 03:57 PM
i have a certain amount of money saved up .... so i have plans in the very near future to start fixing up an EK (00) hatch ....

90% of the money will be going toward performance mods...exterior/show mods will be a little (CF hood, lowered, rims, EXTREMELY MILD IF NOT STOCK body kit) .....

so right now im in the planning stages ...

i have an idea of what the final outcome should be like .... i would like to be pushing 300HP@wheels, yet i would like it to be reliable (so another words, i would like it to have the potential of 300-350HP, but more driving around 200-250HP, so basically just keeping the PSI down) ....

also, what OBD issues will i run into?

so far, i have a list of what i would need and need to be done:

00 Civic Hatch CX
Engine Swap (99-00 Si, GSR, or B20/Vtec, or what? ... another thread here)
Turbo
Wastegate
3" Blow Off Valve
3" cat back - Tanabe Racing Medallion
high-flow cat (or none at all?)
downpipe
Intercooler
Sleeves?
Upgraded Lower Compression Pistons
Connecting Rods?
Cam Gears - AEM
Pulley System - AEM
Some Head Work
Head Swap (depending on which swap i decide to go with above?)
Upgraded Ignition System - MSD
Upgraded Fuel Rail - AEM
Fuel Filter - AEM
Fuel Pressure Regulator - AEM
Injectors
Fuel Pump - AEM
Upgraded Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
LSD
A/F Gauge
Turbo Timer - HKS
StandAlone System/Hondata - AEM or Hondata
Boost Controller -HKS

i know there has to be more ... i just cant think of any .. help guys?

also, what suggestions do you have for specific companies to use (AEM, Greddy, etc) ....

ok what i wanna know is how much you have saved up? i say definitely stick with a GSR motor

i say stick with a straight pipe cause turbo cars [honda's] arent really that loud, so it shouldnt be an issue of your car being too loud on the streets...

since you are planning on sleeving i assume the question mark at the end means you are puzzled about what kind of sleeve to get, people woof all this shit about golden eagle being the best, but i think bensons makes a damn nice sleeve and the quality is one of the best seeing as how they've been around a long while...

pistons, i say stick with either JE or Arias pistons... they can make custom pistons for ANY APPLICATION...

connecting rods go with Eagle... good quality and cheap price

cam gears... fuck AEM, my buddy henry works for them but i'll tell you that they have a problem re-adjusting themselves [get some kunk2's or something with more than 3 bolts]

pulley system, you dont really HAVE TO upgrade the pulley system... all it does is wear down your altrernator and reduces its life expectancy [if you do decide to get a pulley system i say go with unorthodox]

some head work? your gonna wanna get more than some if you want good gains and also get a better valve train [Web makes a good turbo valve train with turbo cams]

if i was to build a GSR daily driver, this is what i would do

GSR motor, arias 10:1 compression, RS Machining sleeves, eagle rods, knife edged crank shaft, p&p GSR head, custom grind turbo cams, Web Valve train [spring retainers] ferrea valves, beryllium copper keepers, rev hard turbo kit, hondata stage 3b, apex boost controller, Blitz turbo timer, tanabe racing medallion with straight pipe, and good suspension

with that set up i should be able to run about 15lbs everyday and 28lbs at the track... i've seen set-ups more mild than this set up boosting upwards of 25lbs and putting down about 400hp in nevada

Originally posted by JaeSun+Mar 24 2003, 12:01 PM-->
asmallsol
@Mar 23 2003, 11:37 AM

save the air?

i thought about that, but read this post here and felt better going with a GSR than anything ....

asmall: thanks for all your input !!

so i guess youre also going autoX.

get wiseco pistons from endyn; the rollerwave pistons. Ive heard they gained around 28hp in a 340hp turbo motor by using those pistons.
Endyn has also made a 280hp ALL MOTOR b20vtec! too bad it blew up when hitting the 300hp mark.

I say you get the gsr motor, get the ecu and valvetrain upgraded, turbo kit, straight pipe, get the head ported and polished, turbo cams, get everything in the intake smoothened out(removing sharp edges) and your good.

From what i hear, you dont need to get new sleeves unless you are pushing high pressure.

About hondas not being loud, i guess you never heard a f22 accord with a straight pipe.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Mar 24 2003, 07:42 PM
About hondas not being loud, i guess you never heard a f22 accord with a straight pipe.

if your talking to me i meant honda's that are turbocharged :whatafucktard:

i say stick with a straight pipe cause turbo cars [honda's] arent really that loud, so it shouldnt be an issue of your car being too loud on the streets...

i agree with the setup that 2.0eg said except for the valvetrain. web sux they have soooo much seat pressure that they will flatten ANY camshaft within 6 monts (ive been through it. my suggestion is SK2 or manley.

Back