got a new hobbie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Looks like a pretty sweet hobby. I need something to do other than eat and watch TV.

Looks like a pretty sweet hobby. I need something to do other than eat and watch TV.
its fun and you can actually make a profit off of it if you want to but its deffinatly not cheap to get into. once you have the tools there isnt a ton of overhead other than materials lol

Can you use exotic metals like inconel or ti6al4v ? I know that are very tough materials but I'd think they would hold an edge better due to the material properties

Can you use exotic metals like inconel or ti6al4v ? I know that are very tough materials but I'd think they would hold an edge better due to the material properties
i think both of those would be overkill and just waste belts and be harder to work with than it would be worth. plus the cost of buying the material in the first place would be pretty bad

so i eneded up getting 4 blades out of that billet. 2 skinners a "bird knife" and a buck knife. i gotta come up with names for the blades. i am for sure going to sell one of the skinners not sure which one yet. the top 2 are skinners the third is the buck and the bottom is the bird knife

CIMG0350.jpg

Last edited:
i think both of those would be overkill and just waste belts and be harder to work with than it would be worth. plus the cost of buying the material in the first place would be pretty bad

But for a collector the materials would be unique. I'm sure you could charge a huge premium for them

heres the one i just finished. i used olive canvas micarta scales on this. wanted to try somthing new and its really hardy for a knife thats going to used.

CIMG0366.jpg

CIMG0360.jpg

CIMG0369.jpg

Remind me to never piss you or 92b16vx off. lol Looks good man.

well the first of the damascuss blades is finally gettin finished
during the heat treating process. can kinda see the patern
CIMG0384.jpg

this is after tempering and just after the acid etch. i am really happy with how the etch came out
CIMG0386.jpg

and this is with the handles getting glued. i used buffalo honey horn and a nickel silver guard. ill do the finish sanding and polishing on the guard tomorrow and give it to the women for valentines day.
CIMG0392.jpg

That looks really great. I can dig it.

if anyone is intersted i am going to do a batch of 4 or 5 fillet knives. they are a 6"blade, great for trout and bass and what not. there is pics above of hat they look like. the handle material is completely optional to what you want. everything from wood to micarta and g-10. they also make a good kitchen knife. here is one with a mosaic pin and cocobola handles. this would go for 60w/o a sheath and 75 with

knifemaking054.jpg

Last edited:
Back