got a new hobbie

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I haven't finished anything in over a year but a friend is coming in town that i haven't seen in a couple years and its his b day so i busted this out for him.

20131008_170747.jpg

I still have one Damascus blade left to finish

Those damascus blades are so awesome. Love the handles too.

Have you ever made a hatchet? I'm going to start on one from some O-1 I have leftover.

No I've just done knives so far. I really like working with o-1 though. Holds an edge well and i can temper and draw it myself unlike 440. And if you polish it well there's no real worry about rust

I don't have an oven, so I guess I'll just torch and oil quench.

I wish I had a fancy fillet knife. I am cleaning fish at least a couple times a month.

Your work on these knives looks very nice!

This thread is a blast from the past! I haven't seen it in forever, I'd forgotten about it.

The knife looks great Chad! Another thing I'd like to learn to do someday.

I wish I had a fancy fillet knife. I am cleaning fish at least a couple times a month.

Your work on these knives looks very nice!
i take it you saw the one above? thats about a 6.5" blade. i can make these fairly inexpensive and quick if your interested...

This thread is a blast from the past! I haven't seen it in forever, I'd forgotten about it.

The knife looks great Chad! Another thing I'd like to learn to do someday.

yea it felt good to get rolling again. thanks for the compliments

Build A Disc Brake Utility Hatchet

I've wanted to try something like this for awhile now. I'd always prefer to repurpose before I buy materials new. I know I'm in the minority there though, haha.

Yeah, I have a hard time buying steel, so when I do, I use all of it before I buy more. I have an out-of-round 12ga barrel that I'm trying to figure out how to use. I'm thinking about slicing it and flattening it to make blades.

i take it you saw the one above? thats about a 6.5" blade. i can make these fairly inexpensive and quick if your interested...

I already have a large fillet knife that is pretty good quailty, but id like a smaller one, about 6-7 inches. There is absolutely no rush, but I am interested. About how much, or do you just figure out the price when its done?

Back